back to article Scientists sue Intel in Core 2 Duo clash

A band of boffins is suing Intel, claiming the chip giant pinched their patented technology and used it in the Core 2 Duo processor design without their say-so. The patent application was filed way back in 1996 and granted in 1998, long before the advent of the Core 2 Duo design. It details a "table-based data speculation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Warf is asking the court to declare that Intel's Core 2 Duo product infringe its patents"

Poor Intel. I don't think I'd like to argue with a Klingon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standard Silicon valley Practice

So what's the big deal? I'm on my 4th startup. The use of whatever solution works regardless of patent infringement, and letting the infringed party figure it out and come after you, is the norm in Silicon Valley.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Amateurs

filed in the wrong court for this type of thing west Texas is where you want, oh well what do they need money for anyway.

4. Rusty Warrior
    Coat

Warf is asking the court to declare that Intel's Core 2 Duo product infringe its patents

Make it so!

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge

These are boffins?

This patent sounds like "we used historic data as a guide to future behaviour". REAL scientists call this using experimental results (including null ones) to form a hypothesis and it is so far from being novel that you ought to get your bollocks roasted for even *trying* to patent the idea.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Devil, er, Intel Inside

I'm slow I guess.

Just figured out how Intel works.

1. See competitor with better chip (Opteron)

2. Steal tech from others to crush competitor.

3. Pay a tiny % of total intake to resolve #2

4. Hold huge percentage of market, with little or no real penalty (when looking at the overall big picture).

I'm not anti-capitalism, but it does appear that the game is played in a fashion that, to "win" is to become a monopoly.

7. Walter Francis
    Flame

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

P'Tok! Hab SoSlI' Quch!

8. Curtis W. Rendon
    Boffin

@Amateurs

Actually you're thing on the Federal Court of The Eastern District of Texas.

Easy mistake, merely 1000 klicks off.

9. Edison Asuncion Jr.
    Happy

@Devil, er, Intel Inside by Anonymous Coward.

Opteron (Barcelona) the better chip? so where is it?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7339

stealing techs from competitor. hmmm, the Core 2 Duo has long been using 128-bit internal data paths and Barcelona (as well as phenom) just adopted it. L3 cache? this is old intel server technology. and many more here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/480

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@Amateurs

Ummm you are sort of right but WARF is from the University of Wisconsin. (This sort of hints WHERE they are at!) As they are a part of the STATE OF WISCONSIN, they are subject to the State of Wisconsin laws. Taking this to court in Texas would be like the UK taking someone to a court in France - won't happen.

11. David Austin
    Alert

title

Just buy them off, Intel. A year on, and Core2 is still demolishing the desktop market, and the core-derrived Xeons aren't doing too bad either. Don't let anything rain on your (For once, well-deserved) parade.

besides, if you have to stop selling Core2's, you may be forced into desktop Itanic.

....scary thought, isn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like