back to article T-Mobile USA: Our new unlimited data plan is actually unlimited

Wireless carrier T-Mobile has what it describes as a "bold" new feature in store for its upcoming unlimited data plan: This time, it's actually going to be unlimited. Like most other major American mobile carriers, T-Mobile's current "unlimited" plans have their limits. The amount of data that punters can download is not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discriminatory

So why cant they offer similar deals in UK ? By admitting now, that unlimited means unlimited, they tacitly agree it was NOT UNLIMITED.

I mean , they have the spectrum (spare), infrstructure, big client base, (having slurped Orange),

On the contrary, even the Full Monty is no more Full monty as per latest reports.

They deserve to go down the tube due to their excessive greed and arrogance.

Bastards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Discriminatory

You do know that T-Mobile USA is not owned by the same company as T-Mobile UK? Also the Full Monty is unlimited when used on the handset itself, it's only tethering that is restricted.

2. Chad H.

Re: Discriminatory

T-MUS and T-MUK are completely different. Different management teams, different economic realities, and different owner thanks to the EE merger.

2. Robert E A Harvey

"no data caps, speed limits or bill shock"

... For a month or two.

Once users start to use it, the game is up.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Nope - it works as advertised

I bought my Nexus-S to their store, put in a SIM and unlimited voice, text and data for $50/month ... going on for nearly two years now. Oh yes, and free tethering too.

Yes - they say that they slow the data to 2G speeds after 100Mb but I've never seen it make any difference - but since my total cell bill is only $600 a year, I'm a very happy camper - everyone I know with iPhones is paying more than double that.

Oh, did I mention that the phone is running Jelly Bean?

Sweet!

3. Plonkybear

https://www.facebook.com/WirErwartenBesseres

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem not being unlimited verses throttling, the problem is how much and how many areas their 4G covers.

I tried T-Mobile for a a month, along with Sprint. Both offered 3G with promises of 4G coming very soon. The only problem was their 3G was extremely sparse, most of the time it dropped to....whatever is lower than 3G, 2G?

Anyway, after my trial, I returned the equipment and paid for what little usage I had. That was almost two years ago and still......no 4G in my area and from my understanding, the 3G is still pretty sparse.

I know companies like Verizon like to brag about their coverage, but in the end, they have nothing to brag about.

And I agree with Robert, after they get an influx of new, two year plans, the speed will most likely be throttled back.

5. Vin King
    Meh

I was on T-Mobile for years, and loved it. However, a few months ago, I decided I wanted more and more performance than I was getting, and I wanted a new phone, too. I went to Verizon due to the snappy and awesome LTE network they have. Already, I've been disappointed a bit with Verizon as a company, but pleased to hell by the network performance. If T-Mobile can field an LTE network that compares with Verizons, I will be back with T-Mobile in minutes.

6. Eddy Ito
    Meh

What they aren't saying

"$20 per month when added to a bring-your-own-device plan"

Sure the plan sounds nice but where do you get such a device if not from T-Mob? Here in the US they are the only carrier on the 1700 MHz frequency that I know of, so if you don't have a compatible device you're looking at EDGE all the time. That's a treat, free adware at speeds on the EDGE aren't worth the price. I've been looking for a while but finding a handset that fits the works isn't easy unless you have plenty of cash for the high end or are willing to settle for a piss poor handset. It's the reason why don't they have the iPhone and the same reason they didn't carry the Palm WebOS phones and I really wanted a Veer or Pre. I may very well wind up building my own phone.

7. miknik
    Thumb Up

T Mobile USA is good for roaming

Or rather not roaming. When I went on holiday to the USA I bought a PAYG T Mob SIM, for $3/day you get unlimited domestic calls, text and data (was 200MB/day at 4G speeds when I went in June).

If you are somewhere with good coverage (I was in Manhattan) this is hard to beat for a foreigner. £20 for the whole holiday (SIM was free, just buy credit), Skype worked fine everywhere and no worries about getting raped by O2 on my return. I used my phone as I would at home because the data wasn't an issue, and having Google maps etc on hand is great in an unfamiliar setting.

Thumbs up to T Mobile USA from me!

1. Steve Carr 1
      Go

Re: T Mobile USA is good for roaming

Yup, did the same myself when in I stayed in Vegas.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bet this means they're finally getting iPhone

Neither AT&T nor Verizon have true unlimited - AT&T's grandfathered plans are 3G only, Verizon cancels your unlimited if you take a subsidized upgrade so you have to buy a full cost phone to keep it.

Yes, yes, I know Android owners like unlimited too, I think T-mobile is just timing this with getting iPhone on their network to make sure as many people as possible hear about it for when they find out the fine print from AT&T and Verizon and are pissed enough to consider switching.

9. BigAndos
    Unhappy

Vodafone should pay attention

I got forced into changing my contract when my phone was stolen, they helpfully cut my data allowance from 1GB to a paltry 500MB and all for the same monthly price! Contrast this tightfistedness with this offer and it puts our operators in a rather poor light.

10. RAMChYLD
    Flame

"All four carriers say such measures are only an issue for the greediest of data gobblers and that ordinary users will never hit their data ceilings"

I call bull. My WiMAX ISP currently has a 4GB cap. Between windows updates (the second worst offender, especially on Patch Tuesdays), antivirus updates, driver updates, Steam game updates (the worst offender, hitting at least 100-200MB every other day, due to the multitude of updates for Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod), iPad app updates, a few youtube videos and a bunch of my usual sites, I hit the cap in 3 weeks flat.

11. Great Bu

"both throttle heavy users of their unlimited data plans"

Harsh, but I suppose they won't abuse it twice.....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What good is unlimited data

...when you've got no signal? I can't count the number of deadzones around the Chicago area. Soon as my contract is up, I'm looking elsewhere.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like