back to article Python slithers up Amazon's Beanstalk

Python has become the newest language welcomed into the Amazon’s cloud fold, through the Amazon Web Services' Elastic Beanstalk. The cloud giant today announced that Python applications are now supported on Elastic Beanstalk – along with PHP, Java and Microsoft’s family .NET. The news smooths the way for the DJango and Flask …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Coat

I just want to say...

... Ooo-err, missus!

2. P_0

Python - scripting language done right.

PHP - scripting language done wrong.

1. GBE

Agree with P_0 about PHP

As a long time Python user who has also used a lot of other languages, I recently had to learn PHP. It seems awfully like they were trying to invent Python but missed rather badly and ended up with a bunch of randomly selected and named features from other languages that gradually accreted into a large, formless blob.

Event Perl felt like had a sort of cruel, warped, sociopathic internal logic to it -- everything seemed wrong, but sort of wrong in a consistent way. PHP just seems... randomly wrong.

1. KitD

Re: Agree with P_0 about PHP

Actually, PHP has its origins in Perl, being originally some Perl scripts to preprocess HTML before serving.

I think PHP is one of those technologies that is being asked to do far more than it was originally designed to do. It was the first server-side language to use HTML templates which IMHO deserves some credit, but the original language was designed to do not much more than that. Now people want to write full-blown enterprise apps in it :rollseyes:

3. Joeman
    Thumb Down

Targeted directly as Google AppEngine users who use Python, but AppEngine is free for (small apps) whereas Beanstalk has no free tier.

Sorry, but im sticking to Phython on Google AppEngine :)

4. nuked
    Meh

Interesting.

Haven't quite got my head around the implications of this. I think it's a very good thing though - the next logical step.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Python rules

A truly fantastic language. If you haven't tried it, I (anonymously) beseech you to give it a go.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like