back to article Breaking news, literally: Reuters hacked third time this MONTH

Reuters websites were hacked for third time in a fortnight when hackers posted a bogus article falsely claiming that Saudi Arabia's foreign minister Saud al-Faisal was dead. The planting of the false report follows two similar attacks earlier this month. First, a bogus piece stating that the Syrian rebels were retreating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kirbini

I'll confirm it

Seriously, they can't afford something more secure than WordPress? I work for a hosting company and 98% of all successful compromises we see come through WP. I'll give 10 to 1 odds to anyone who can show that WorstPress was not the vector for this compromise..

2. Turtle

Note to Reuters.

Note to Reuters:

Report the news, don't be the news.

3. kain preacher

You if you leave your front door open and you get robbed that's a crime. But is it a crime if you keep on living it open and and keep on getting robbed ?

4. DryBones
    Pirate

It's WordPress. No, really. Once Reuters gets a clue and changes their blogging platform, they'll just have to find something else to try attacking on the site. As much as I hear WordPress and hacked used together, you'd think their unofficial icon was from Goatse. Wiiiide open.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Lots of criticsm of WordPress...

...no suggestion of an alternative platform that is completely secure out of the box and thereafter.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever Platform

they use has to be internationally accessible (including from devices whilst in jungles, foxholes etc) .

also it's going to be hacked, whether Reuters, NI, Bloomberg or Al Jazira, when you report the news no matter how unbiased, some fanatical conspiracy theorist group will claim you're biased and try to discredit you.

it's a no-win situation for news carriers

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What to expect ?

I know next to nothing of the news industry, but it seems to me that, once upon a time, they had people called "reporters" that went out into the wide world to get stories, then went to the nearest phone to report their finds.

Some of these people actually proved bravery far in excess of what any boss could expect, bringing back incredible tales. Some actually died for their efforts.

I suspect that things are somewhat different today if reporters are just paid interns watching blog feeds, or categorizing press releases.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like