back to article Acer: Windows 8 'uncertainty' deflates Wang's big growth aim

Acer Inc reckons the "uncertainty" surrounding the Windows 8 ecosystem will translate into lower-than-expected sales for the second half of 2012. The admonition was made as the Taiwanese PC company reported Q2 numbers for the period ended 30 June that showed sales fell 8.3 per cent year-on-year and 2.2 per cent sequentially to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 38
    Unhappy

I was going to do a growth/Wang joke, but it's too crass, even for me :(

1. InsaneLampshade
      Thumb Up

I think the article title covers all angles there, kudos to the author!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Buy windows 8 on a mobile phone?

Then have to buy a new mobile phone when they upgrade the OS because they won't support the older operating system.

Not me, not even if they promised a half-hearted .5 featureless upgrade that gives me a similar home screen.

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Ok then....

Windows 8 deflates wangs. Wow - to think I thought Metro was it's worst problem...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

windows superflat laptops from Acer

on a related subject: i tested two superflat laptops from Acer today, and keyboard disappoints. the Toshiba superflat laptops have ok keyboards though (also tested today). Otherwise, all of them don't look bad.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Acer negotiating a good price for Windows 8

Take a look out for some nice prototype Linux boxes from Acer that disappear when Microsoft cave in on price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Acer negotiating a good price for Windows 8

Acer sell Linux PCs ? Surely there must be some mistake! A search for Linux on their (Canadian) website returns a disturbing blank page.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Acer negotiating a good price for Windows 8

Who would they sell them to?

4. dharmaseal
    Trollface

Real Computing

Tablets, slates, whatever you wish to call them, they're all for the fanbois, not for real computing.

5. Dropper

Tablets?

Colouring books are fun when you're 6, but beyond that most of us need something capable of running software that can do more than turn photos into funny shapes or play games with nasty control systems.

6. DarkBorn

Acer + Linux = win!

I just bought Acer notebook (Aspire 531)!

I was suspicious of cheap price, but it becomes that price was good just because of that I (intentionally) bought notebook WITHOUT Windows. Same notebook with Windows is 20% expensive just because of OS! This beast comes with some funny Linvin (?) Linux. I put over a new Linux Mint install (13 "Maya", Mate, 64bit), 8-10 minutes (!) and - all works like a charm! Everything is almost the same as Win7. If you're nostalgic, put some XP/Vista/Win7 theme upthere, WINE or even some VM and - who cares about Windows anymore... And Windows8/Metro will not miss me, that's for sure.

Btw I was not a Linux funboy, nor I do had contacts with this before.

1. Sirius Lee

Re: Acer + Linux = win!

<<Btw I was not a Linux funboy, nor I do had contacts with this before>>

Sure. I believe you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like