back to article Optical Express 'ruined my life' gripe site lives on

A gripe site for people who claim high street opticians Optical Express “ruined” their eyesight with botched LASIK surgery has been allowed to remain online, after a cybersquatting panel ruled that the owner has the right to free speech. Nominet Dispute Resolution Service panelist Keith Gymer earlier this month ruled that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

A sensible ruling

1. Mr Temporary Handle
      Alert

Quite a shock really.

It may mean that these 'people' are actually starting to think about the cases coming before them rather than just tossing a coin.

2. Silverburn
    Boffin

And to think I was 50:50 about the surgery. Until now.

<-- Looks like I'll be sticking with these for a while yet.

1. Annihilator
      Boffin

Well all surgery comes with risks, even elective surgery like this one.

But yes, I wouldn't be giving it a go, particularly as a friend of mine was refused the surgery due to only having one eye - they apparently considered the risk to the remaining eye as too high. I'd be suspicious of anyone who thinks having two eyes is a contingency plan. I use extended-wear contact lenses which more than suit my needs.

1. Nigel 11
        Boffin

Don't consider ANY elective surgery until they can point at a statistically valid number of guinea-pigs, sorry people, who have lived to a ripe old age with no undesirable side-effects. The medical history books are full of treatments that looked like a good idea at the time, but proved to be a long-term disaster.

I won't even consider contact lenses. It'll be another couple of decades before there are ninety-year-olds who were wearing them since their twenties. Does vanity or slight convenience justify even the slightest increased risk of losing your sight in your old age?

(It is of course different if the surgery is to address a life-threatening or seriously life-limiting problem.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Nigel 11

I take it you've never taken Ibuprofen, Cetirizine (Zertek/Benadryl), etc? Just suffered the pain and had a runny nose?

They're chemicals, surelly a far potential long term risk than removing some un-neccessary cells (OK, thats over simplified, but still...).

They are also far more recent than Radial Keratotomy. The fact a laser is used for the cutting now rather than a blade isn't really a factor in the long term results.

1. Nigel 11
            Boffin

Re: @Nigel 11

The effects of drugs taken for a short time are almost certainly reversible, even if your body reacts badly. The adverse effects of long-term use of Ibuprofen are well-known, starting with increased risk of heart attacks (read the leaflet in the packet). It's a long-term effect, caused by the drug interfering with your body's self-repair mechanisms. Short-term (for a few days), it's a negligible risk.

Surgery is almost by definition irreversible. Contact lenses are equivalent to long-term drug usage, and I would also counsel avoiding elective use of a drug therapy for the rest of one's life if the treated condition isn't life-threatening or seriously debilitating.

I have in fact made that choice with respect to life-long use of anti-gout medication (no thanks). I prefer to put up with a few hours of extreme pain in my big toe maybe once a year, and treat that with diclofenac (a more powerful version of ibuprofen) for about a week when it happens. Someone suffering from gout more severely would doubtless choose otherwise, as I will if the attacks become frequent, or develop into chronic gouty arthritis, or spread to my major joints.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I've not taken that cr4p. Just suffered the pain of a hot meal, fresh garlic, some exercise, and a good sleep. Medicine is for whimps. HHOS.

In case you are wondering, there is a reason for that runny nose or fever. If you stop it, you also keep in whatever your body is trying rid itself of. It's better to be healthy than get rid of symptoms. That's like painting over rust.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

We all believe in healthy active living, and I totally agree that your natural remedies may well be good for colds - for which there is no effective medication. But your rejection of all conventional medicine as 'for whimps' makes your argument worthless. Sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to have extended-wear contacts - they were great, until my eyes started rejecting them... After that, no contacts would settle :(

There is also an infection risk with contacts every time you put them in or take them out (massively reduced with extended wear - so stick with them as long as you can!)... But people tend to gloss over that when poo-pooing surgery.

The benefits dwarfed the risks for me, I went to a respected eye hospital to have mine done rather than a high street chain. All risks were made clear, expectations were set (I was -9 with astigmatism).

Only thing I found was the "discomfort" when making the flap was a bit more than "discomfort" to me - rest of the procedure was fine.

In terms of the risks, you're not going to have a laser blasting a hole through your skull - risks occur around healing, so if you don't use your various eye drops for the couple of weeks after surgery, your eye may respond by trying to fix the removed cells, resulting in scar tissue forming - you could then end up with blurry vision, or having to have more surgery.

As my correction was quite massive, I was fully prepared for the night vision problems (halo's / starbursts etc) - it's quite annoying, but not really any different to when I was wearing glasses at night.

All in all, it was certainly worth it for me.

3. Skoorb

Go get it done by 'proper' surgeons then

Lets not forget that the best surgeons (of any discipline) in the UK tend to work for the NHS in one form or another. So, why not go get it done by them?

See http://www.cmft.nhs.uk/royal-eye/our-services/laser-vision-correction.aspx for example. This eye hospital is one of the biggest in Europe and is one of the leading research centres in the world and is more than happy to take your money at rather competitive rates.

4. Mr Temporary Handle

They do tend to be a bit economical with the truth where the risks of LASIK are concerned.

I used to be an Optical Express customer, but only because a previous employer's company heathcare plan insisted I use them and only them. I wasn't with them very long before changing to another 'unapproved' optician because they keep pestering me to have laser surgery.

It was a damn good job I did. I had to have eye surgery several years later and learned that I would have lost my eyesight entirely had I agreed to LASIK treatment.

And yes, This was something Optical Express' opticians should have spotted.

5. MrT

Re: "having two eyes is a contingency plan..."

... worked for the RAF V-Force whilst they still carried nuclear weapons. Two pilots, four eyes (eye patch worn, co-pilot kept anti-flash cockpit screens closed until required) meant they could fly through the flashes of up to three nuclear explosions and still see the target.

I agree that the surgeons ought not just be relying on 'having a spare' in case a surgical procedure goes titsup... the blurb about laser eye surgery tends towards describing it a routine, completely repeatable and highly controlled.

6. John H Woods Silver badge

Annihilator: "they apparently considered the risk to the remaining eye as too high"

... and they strongly disparaged my idea of having my eyes done separately, one year apart. Those two positions seem internally contradictory to me.

Upvote for extended wear lenses - get a good fit and high quality lenses and you can wear them for a month.

2. Richard Gray 1
      Flame

Optical Express = Bunch of Cowboys

Yes but I still wouldn't choose Optical Express.

They managed to get my wife's prescription completely wrong even after 3 attempts of them to get it right.

She was left with glasses that made her walk into walls.

Went to Vision Express and got a new prescription completely different ( no astigmatism) and she now has a pair of glasses she can use.

Tried to get my money back from OE. they will fix them (how if they get the prescription wrong and have had 3 goes) but no chance.

AVOID them like the plague

1. K
        Thumb Up

Re: Optical Express = Bunch of Cowboys

Similar story here - I went for a contact lens fitting and the guy tried talking me into Laser surgery, which I seriously considered. Fortunately he fitted me with incorrect contact lenses at least 3-4 times, so I learnt very quickly to avoid them like the plague..

2. Mark Allread
        Happy

Re: Optical Express = Bunch of Cowboys

"She was left with glasses that made her walk into walls"

My wife has those glasses too - they're called glasses of wine.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I saw it done on TV and noticed they were using Windows software to track eye movement to adjust the laser position.

Give me a Russian guy with a scalpel any day.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

It worked for me.

Blind as bat past 2 foot before, perfect (20 12) eyesight after.

Many of their employees have had LASIK, go in and talk to them, it's free and you can always say no......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Aria

No idea why people would down vote you for saying "It worked for me". Who wants a balanced opinion eh!

Clearly you're lying and are using a brail keyboard and screen reader in their minds.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Streisand effect?

Looks like their epetition just got some free publicity.

1. Annihilator
      Joke

Re: Streisand effect?

"Looks like their epetition just got some free publicity"

You spell it "optician". Unless you're south african, in which case your phonetic spelling of "epetition" may be correct. ;-)

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        Trollface

Re: Streisand effect?

If "epetition" is spelt "optician", how is "email" spelt?

Anyway, I thought an "optician" was someone that botched Lasic? What does that have to do with petitions done electronically?

4. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    Megaphone

Most opticians

Wear glasses or contact lenses. A few have good eyesight. I don't know any who've had surgery.

Married to one, since you ask!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Most opticians

Some people find that it worsens their night vision, probably due to slight scarring on the lens which lets less light into the eye?

1. Nigel 11
        Boffin

Re: LASIK night-vision loss

Night vision loss - I'd guess that what people notice is increased scattering of bright light, such as oncoming headlights, by the scar tissue. Light scattered into the dark parts of your visual field means that the subtle gradations of dark are washed out by the "noise".

Everyone's dark vision deteriorates with age, but an optician may point out that you have a "pre-cataract". That's clouding of the natural lens in the eye, which will lead to a cataract but which at present is only hurting one's night-driving vision. Hard question: give up night driving, or pay for and risk a cataract operation a decade before the cataract will be causing everyday vision problems?

I also wonder whether some people who try LASIK to correct severe lens defects which spectacles can't properly address, might be better treated with a full cataract operation to replace the faulty natural lens in their eye? The cataract lens-implant operation has an extremely high success rate and leaves one with vision that's in some ways more perfect than nature. I guess the risk of losing the eye altogether is higher for cataract surgery, though the risk of being left with vision that's worse after the procedure than before is surely higher with LASIK. And one does have two eyes .... But there again, eye lens implants haven't yet been tested for a full lifetime. People who have lens implants are usually elderly, for whom a lifetime is unlikely to exceed 20 years (and the implants have now been well-tested over that timescale).

1. JDX Gold badge

More modern lasers are better and apparently this is now not the common side-effect it was in the early days. Halos and so on are widely discussed, but the treatment I had (Ultralase's top one) specifically is supposed to avoid this due to additional accuracies in the laser.

2. Mr Temporary Handle

"I guess the risk of losing the eye altogether is higher for cataract surgery"

These days, cataract surgery is a simple out-patient procedure which takes around twenty minutes unless the lens breaks up during removal. It takes a few minutes longer when that happens.

The only real danger is the usual post operative infection risk and that can be managed.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Most opticians

The guy who consulted for me had had it done.

However I imagine the fact it costs quite a lot is a big factor :)

5. David Evans

Site...

...doesn't seem to be awash with blinded punters. Six people with problems from what I can see. I also read the petition, and while I don't have a particular problem with its content, it seems like they're only trying to formalise what a good clinic does anyway. I had LASIK surgery 7-8 years ago and it was a major improvement in my life. Of course my eyeballs may fall out any day now, but until then I'm a fan of the process.

1. DPWDC

Re: Site...

Seconded - 5 years for me and life changing.

"Normal" sighted people don't realise how much of an improvement 20% of your peripheral vision is!

1. wowfood

Normal people don't get how bad your eyes can be. I always hate when they ask "Well how do you see things?" Since far as i'm concerned, I see normaly.

2. JDX Gold badge

So basically the site acts as an advert how few people have such problems!

Though I suppose if you were blind you'd probably struggle to use the site.

3. Reginald Gerard

Having worn extended wear lenses since I was 20, and getting dry and weary eyes every evening at 50, I decided to treat myself to a Femto-Laser procedure. They use the ultra fast laser to model a flap from the surface of the cornea instead of using a miniature dermatome to cut a flap. Then the standard laser is used to model the exposed surface of the cornea (based on maps made of the visual characteristics of the whole visual path - which also removes any astigmatism). Then the hinged flap is folded back over the freshly lasered cornea. One night with a protective lens and presto, could read the license plates from the 2nd story office. I was -6 diopter.

6 years on and I see perfectly at any distance and don't even need my reading glasses any more for the newspaper in the morning, can even read the fine print on the packaging in the shops. No issues w. night driving, better than w. glasses of contact lenses, no flares, sparkles or halos.

My only regret is that this wasn't available back in the 70/80s - when it would have given me 30 extra years of visual and living quality.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The Register contacted Optical Express for comment, but it has yet to respond.

They couldn't read the email due to botched laser eye treatment (allegedly). I've booked a shark to do mine...

7. mark1978

It would be good if they would stop sending spam text messages too.

8. Crisp
    Coat

Should have gone to Specsavers.

I'm going, I'm going...

9. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pioneered in the USSR

I remember a photo in National Geographic, showing the Moscow theatre this was conducted in, with a carousel of beds so that patients could be treated en masse. Obviously there wasn't the risk of infection (non contact) as with traditional forms of surgery.

I read of the exploits of a mountaineer who had had the treatment, and he only had issues when at some silly altitude on Everest... something about extreme cold temperatures or low air pressure can cause temporary problems. Obviously his treatment hadn't been botched.

(icon: "Ow, my eye, my beautiful eye")

The ruling seems correct- there is no way that you would confuse opticalexpressruinedmylife for the company's own website. (Unless your eyes had been messed up)

1. mtw

Re: Pioneered in the USSR

I believe that was mass cataract removal, which was done on a conveyor belt basis. They hadn't got as far as laser surgery when those pics came out (maybe still haven't).

Icon: would have been an oar, if there was one, for sticking mine in :)

1. Graham Marsden

@mtw

The Russians were pioneers of Radial Keratotomy, a precursor to laser treatment, whereby a series of spoke-like incisions were made around the iris.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Speaking of cataracts, I hear that they used to use donated cataracts, but now they use artificial ones... the upshot is that the surgeons might as use an artificial cataract that also corrects short/long sight whilst they are at it. Bonus.

1. Graham Marsden
            Boffin

@AC I think you're mixing up cataracts and corneas, there's an important difference...!

10. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

Well done that Judge!

If this had been allowed it would have let big companies silence people who had been the vicitims of alleged bad practice and effectively sweep such problems under the carpet.

11. DJO Silver badge

Please zap my retina with a laser!

When surgeons and opticians themselves have Lasik I'll consider it, until then - not a <insert expletive of choice> chance.

1. Terry Cloth
      Boffin

Re: Please zap my retina with a laser!

Yes, please! A torn retina, if not tacked down by laser or cryotherapy is a one-way ticket to blindness. (N.B.: None of the above discussion mentioned retinas.)

12. Jon Double Nice

I'd like to have it done

but I just can't get past the stage where they go 'right, so we'll just slice the front of your eyeball off WHILST YOU ARE TOTALLY AWAKE'. Can they not condense this treatment into a pill or something? It'd be a lot more popular.

1. Jediben
      Facepalm

Re: I'd like to have it done

Same here. My step-mother had it done, but just the concept of the practice makes me retch with horror.

1. Silverburn
        Thumb Up

Re: I'd like to have it done

Seconded!

** heebee jeebies **

13. Tom 38

I would love to have LASIK

However, my uncle is an eye surgeon, who spends his time trying to restore eyesight to people who've gone through windscreens, people who have knifes jammed in their eyes, and, yes, people who have botched LASIK surgery. He won't touch your eyes unless there is already something wrong with them, since fixing problems with your eyes is damned hard.

Yes, 97% of people who have LASIK are quite happy with it, and yes, LASIK has been around a long time now. Would you take a 3% chance that your eyesight won't be ruined?

I'm also shocked at some of the reports on that website - OE treated both eyes at the same time! WTFery! If something goes wrong, like it did in his case, at least you would still have one un-fucked eye.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I would love to have LASIK

"Would you take a 3% chance that your eyesight won't be ruined?" Bit of a skewed statistic that... Seen it knocked around before.

3% don't reach driving standard eye sight without assistance (need much weaker glasses / contacts than they had before) / have unrealistically high expectations != ruined.

I wouldn't touch OE with a bargepole, but I also wouldn't band ALL corrective surgery practices in one chunk.

1. Tom 38

Absolutely, don't let my fears affect anyone else's decision - I know I'm a pussy :)

2. JDX Gold badge

3% are not quite happy with it does not mean 3% have ruined eyesight. OE showed me charts which told me the exact statistical chance each of my eyes had of achieving different levels of sight (both good and bad) based on my initial prescription.

I didn't go with them but they have the data and by spreading lies you're potentially putting people off who think you know what you're talking about. All the 3 places I visited were open that sometimes things can go wrong BUT this is on a per-eye basis, and none of them could recollect ANYONE having sight 'ruined'.

1. Tom 38

Look, I'm only reporting what my uncle - an consultant NHS eye surgeon, who has literally written the book on eye surgery - has told me about it. He spends his days trying to fix botched jobs, and I am simply repeating his explicit advice to me when I expressed an interest in getting it done.

I'm sure all these providers are up-front about the risks, but the providers don't provide the after-surgery care for those with problem cases - just look at the website in the story for details of how OE treat problem cases - they go to a special unit in London.

Therefore all the treatment centers see are the successes (and the commissions). None of them can recollect having anyone having sight ruined, because anyone with ruined sight would not be dealing with them at that point.

3. Nigel 11
      Boffin

The question should be whether your life is really seriously impaired without LASIK? If spectacles are able to correct one's vision defect, then LASIK is a risk being taken for little reason beyond convenience or vanity. If it goes wrong (which sometimes it does) one is irreversibly worse off, and spectacles then won't help.

The thought of someone risking both eyes at once is quite incredible. Have one done, and wait until one can judge the short-term results before risking the other one! Having one eye irreversibly screwed up is bad, being functionally blinded is far, far worse.

1. JDX Gold badge

But the chances of one eye going wrong is independent of the other... so even if the first goes well, the second is as likely to go wrong.

SOME practitioners DO do it that way, however that means undergoing two procedures and therefore two sets of recovery time, as well as twice as much surgeon time.

1. Nigel 11
          Boffin

NO! look up "common mode failure". Examples: incompetent surgeon /operator, incorrectly calibrated LASIK equipment, idiosyncratic (unusual, bad) reaction to the surgery in one particular patient (ie you). Any of these could cause BOTH your eyes to be knackered if you have the procedure performed on both eyes at once.

Same reason airlines NEVER service both engines on a twin-jet at the same time!

14. chipxtreme
    Thumb Up

I had my eyes done at Optimax at Newcastle about 6-7 years ago, both done by epi-lasik in 15 minutes and corrected astigmatism at same time. Think I paid around £850 at the time, completely painless getting it done although once the anaesthetic started to wear off it was rather painful, but worth it IMHO.

Can honestly say that was the best £850 I've ever spent but maybe I was lucky as I experienced zero side effects.

1. JDX Gold badge

I visited them but ended up going to Ultralase also in Newcastle. £850 would be super-cheap these days!

15. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Happy

Yet another positive anecdote for optical express

OpEx did my laser surgery 7 years ago - Newcastle branch if its relevant.

I went from -4.5/-4.25 with astigmatism to 0.0 in both eyes (or from 40/6 to 4/6 if you prefer)

I had no post op issues, my last eye test showed -0.25/0.0 so very slight movement in prescription, no correction necessary - using a different optician - not OpEx.

The pros: can see the bedside clock without squinting, cheap sunglasses, can keep an eye on my 6 yr old son in the swimming pool without having to rely on looking for a blur in bright trunks. Could see clearly 2 hours after the surgery, no night vision problems.

The cons: did not like the table tipping past vertical (head down) or the smell of burning hair when the laser clipped an eyelash. The steroid eyedrops taste foul.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet another positive anecdote for optical express

The burning hair smell is not eyelashes, its your eyeball....

I had it done and the laser goes no where near your eyelashes.

One good thing I was told is I have a thick enough cornea for 2-3 more treatments if I need them in the future...

3 years down the line I still have great eyesight, and no night vision problems!

2. Andy ORourke
      Joke

Re: Yet another positive anecdote for optical express

"The steroid eyedrops taste foul."

You did put them in your eyes.................

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Trollface

@Andy ORourke

Yep, unfortunately tear ducts are linked to the back of the throat.

It always makes people go wtf when I say it though!

16. Neil Charles

Optical Express needed four goes to get my address right

And their biggest selling point for laser eye surgery is that it's cheap.

No thanks.

If I trusted them, I'd pay a lot more than they're charging, but I don't.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used Optimax for my eyes, very good result history, good surgeon, and most importantly, its 90% automated, that is why I said yes, flaps are cut by machine, prescription is found by machine, eye surface is reshaped by machine, so really it was how much do I trust the developers?

and my answer, is quite a bit, due to the evidence..

Now I have 20:10 vision!

Optical Express.... sounds too much like a fly by nature outfit to me....

18. Andy Law
    Meh

meanwhile, back at the [tenuous] IT angle

...the Ryan Air ruling was wrong IMHO.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"defamatory and actionable content”

If they believe it is the case, then they could use UK libel laws to stop people posting.

However, I think, that they realised they would lose the case, so tried the easy way out instead. Now what they have is everyone looking up the website and thinking twice about using them.

Foot, meet mouth.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: "defamatory and actionable content”

Only idiots though - look hard enough and you'll find a horror story from someone who cut their arm off opening a letter for crying out loud :)

20. adam payne

All surgery has it's risk.

People have to make an informed decision on whether the risks are worth it for them. If it does go wrong then the people who did it must do everything in their power to help.

1. JDX Gold badge

In my experiences, all the consultations were if anything over-eager to point out that it is NOT guaranteed to correct or even improve your vision. I'm sure this is a legal requirement but if anything it made me more worried :)

21. James 100

Had it in May

I had LASIK on both eyes (by Optical Express, May 3). £2,500.

Apart from allergic reactions to two of the eyedrops and a small corneal injury (sharp stray piece of plastic from the disposable vials), no "complications" as such, just significant under-correction in the right eye.

End result? My vision is *nearly* as good as it was wearing specs - just short of 20/20 in the left eye - but with a LOT of extra 'floaters', and all goes to pot in low light when my pupils dilate beyond the correction zone. Dry eye greatly improved, but still needing drops a couple of times a day.

Improvement? No chance. If I could undo it, I would in a heartbeat. If I could somehow pay another £2,500 to have it all undone, I'd jump at the chance. Technically, though, this qualifies as a "success".

1. Mike Brown
      Terminator

Re: Had it in May

that qualifys as a success? as in not in the 3% failure section? thanks for your comment, you have just made sure i never have this treatment done.

cheers fella! and good luck

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Used them 3 years ago

And now have perfect 20 12 vision, including at night.

For the none opticians, I can see clearly at 20 metres what a 'normal' person sees clearly at 12.

I would recommend them, but I also support the site's right to exist as it provides a balance to all their advertising.

If you are thinking about laser eye surgery then go and talk to Optical Express and all the others,

But make your own decision based on the risks/benefits for YOU.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All surgery carrys risk

While I have some sympathy, all surgery carrys risk. With EYE surgery, there's a 50/50 chance your vision will either get better or worse.

24. Nick1234

Optical Express ruined my eye site

Had Lasek treatment back in May, having strung me along telling me the prescription is still healing, finally just found out I've been over corrected by 1.25%, now I need different glasses for every thing.

OE are real keen to have the opportunity to screw with my eyes even more.

Not to mention the constant drops I have to use, the sore eyes when I wake up in the mornings.

Why did I do it? Combination of believing the sales pitch and putting too much faith in the surgeon. Boy did I make a life changing MISTAKE.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have gone to Specsavers

C'mon, why can't I see someone already using that line

1. John H Woods Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Should have gone to Specsavers

"C'mon, why can't I see someone already using that line"

Maybe because you should have? Crisp used it almost 24 hours before you did!

26. pctechxp
    Boffin

Hmmmm thought about this myself

But has been said, if any man, woman or machine screws up your eyes there's no going back

I'll stick with glasses or contacts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like