back to article HP to spin off webOS division as Gram stealth subsidiary

The Hewlett Packard global business division formerly known as Palm is in major upheaval yet again, as HP moves to spin off its webOS team into a new subsidiary, to be called Gram. The new venture was announced at an internal meeting late last week, webOS Nation reports, but exactly what Gram is being launched to accomplish …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HMB

Ahhh WebOS

Every so often I take my HP Touchpad out of Android ICS and back into WebOS and I'm reminded of all the things they got right, all the lovely touches. Shame about the app support now, and the browser, but it is a nicely put together system.

Then I boot back into Android for maps, apps and a cracking up to date web browser.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So annoying

I remember reading the articles from 2009 when the Pre was launched seeing it as the next big thing 'after' the iPhone-keyboard and touchscreen together. And the TouchPad really is a triumph of UI design, even if WebOS was slow and the hardware assembled from the components Apple rejected (HP staff's words not mine, by the way).

So many if onlys now. Unless Mark Zuckerberg decides to resurrect it at the core of his FacePhone, which doesn't seem likely.

If only they'd rushed out a tablet version concept demo ahead of or just after the iPad's launch. Even if it was vapourware it would have got people developing for webOS. The software was so perfect for tablets.

If Mark Hurd had stayed at HP they could have owned the future instead of Android and Samsung.

If only Google had realised it needed a hardware subsidiary earlier and bought Palm instead of Motorola. They spent ten billion on Motorola when they could have had Palm, intact, for a tenth the price.

1. Denarius
      Mushroom

Re: So annoying

nahh. Nokia would be buying the ruins of HP.

3. Iceman
    WTF?

Is this English?

To lever -> verb.

Leverage -> noun.

Leveraging -> ?

Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this English?

Leveraging - my lever is getting old

1. Rodrigo Rollan

Re: Is this English?

Levering has come to be known as Leveraging, in financial communities. This may have originally been a slang adaptation, since leverage was a noun, however, modern dictionaries (such as Random House Dictionary and Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law) refer to its use as a verb as well. It was first adopted for use as a verb in American English in 1957

2. Carl Zetie
      Headmaster

No, it's American

In American, it's OK to verb any noun.

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
        Headmaster

Re: No, it's American

Like your use of the word "verb" there as well ;)

4. xperroni
    Facepalm

HP still haven't found...

...the correct chair arrangement to keep Titanic webOS afloat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like