back to article Australian Police want in-house social network

The Police Force in the Australian state of New South Wales wants to build its very own social network. The Force isn’t just bandwagon-hopping: the tender (registration required) for the network says it’s already done that, with decent results: The organisation’s ITC department, Business and Technology Services (BTS) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they can nip over to New Zealand and ask Dotcom to set it up?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Let me guess...

They'll give arrested people access to this network also and encourage them to setup their own profile.

Of course hoping that they'll be stupid enough to setup their own profile and then provide status updates, I can see it now....

"Pigs asked me lots of questions, they know shit. Told them they got the wrong guy, LOL. They'll never realize I stole all the computers and burried them in my backyard".

I'm not sure but I don't think people are that stupid ;-)

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Re: I'm not sure but I don't think people are that stupid ;-)

Yes. They are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's open source things aplenty to help them. But on a budget of zero, it will only turn out well if they are incredibly lucky. And that will only be for a while.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like a business opportunity for Google to spin off walled private, corporate areas within Google+.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, a coffee corner chat digital upgrade shouldn't cost too much, mate? Or was that Shirley?

6. Anonymous IV
    Alert

"A comprehensive online phone book is also on the agenda."

<slaps head> Of course! Why didn't we ever think of that one?

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: "A comprehensive online phone book is also on the agenda."

There's only one reason that's in there, so there's a deliverable left after the huge cost/time overrun[1] and massive descoping exercise.

[1] With a budget of fuck all, this should be even simpler to accomplish than usual for a public-sector IT project.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have they not heard of Yammer?

Wouldn't that fit the bill? (no pun intended, well, ok maybe a little)

Ok, so it's now been taken over by the beast of redmond, but...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nice bit of astroturfing there....

.... Or obviously you haven't worked in IT recently.

Not even the NSW plod are stupid enough to fall for the "Yammer freemium trap".

*Step1: company marketeering bint encourages employees to join 'facebook for professionals" using work email.

*Step2: clueless CEO discovers he can look hip to the youngsters playing social network all day, so forces employees to join mainly so they can watch his hipness, while sneering to IT department that its all free.

*Step3: CEO closes down company intranet and sacks half of IT department, appoints the marketeering bint head of IT and Social Networking.

*Step4: a few months later, there exists a yammer instance packed to the brim with internal company information, gossip and the all important "synergised team strategies".

*Step5: CEO realises hundreds of ex-employees (now working for competitors) still access Yammer and asks the bint to delete the accounts of formeremployees.

*Step6: Yammer spivs duly informs her it'll cost her $15 per month for every account ever made to have admin rights over their company yammer instance.... quite expensive for a company of 20,000 employees

*Step7: The local BOFH steps in and provides the solution by banning yammer at the firewall, whilst the marketeering bint has a mysterious accident in an elevator shaft.

Lets see 11,000 NSW coppers x $15 per month per user account .. yup that'll cut a bit too deeply into the NSW Police donut budget.

PS: Although it would probably happen at a company as idiotic as AMP

:-P

(anonymous for insider reasons)

8. LoopyChew

"Facebook'em, Danno."

9. TimChuma

They already set up a Listserv

Not cutting edge enough? (Was the Vic Police as I did it myself.)

Yammer or Ning are what people were using. Didn't really have the time for Yammer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like