back to article Brits obey mobile ads, says mobile ad biz

Nearly half of punters polled in a survey reckon mobile ads are influencing their purchasing decisions, and 63 per cent have bought stuff on their phones - says the company supplying the ads. That's according to InMobi, which describes itself as "the largest independent mobile advertising network". It asked a thousand Brits if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. xyz Silver badge

99% of respondents believe the pope to be a catholic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@xyz

I think you have nissed the point, that being that the sample was selected so you could say

99% of people attending a catholic mass believed the Pope to be a catholic.

99% of Jews think that Htler was a naughty boy.

99% of people polled inside Asda said they had the intention to buy something.

99% of ad men believe advertising to be effective.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> 99% of respondents believe the pope to be a catholic.

In a survey financed by the Vatican, 99% of respondents believe the pope to be a catholic, says Vatican ...

2. Kubla Cant

modern smartphones are considerably more secure than the desktop computers

Citation required.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Matt 21

"All the cool kids are doing it"

Hmmm, I haven't fallen for that one since my early teens!

The reality is that all ads are ineffective and mobile ones which provide a level of irritation are even less so.

Examples: I remember the R Whites ad from the 70s but I've never brought the product, same goes for milk tray. Jumping forward I even quite like the Meerkat and Plus Net ads but have never bought or used their services.

I understand the idea behind brand awareness, so it could be argues that my remembering the names is a victory but it is a bit of a hollow victory if I don't then buy the product or consider it more favourably.... and that's for ads I like! I have the strong suspicion that most people work this way too.

1. Tom 38
      Facepalm

Re: "All the cool kids are doing it"

Sidebar: I remember the R Whites ad from the 70s, but I remember it from the 90s. I'm not a secret lemonade drinker.

An interesting point. For something like insurance, do I compare the market (meerkats getting old, same ad plays every ad break in the cricket), am I confused, or should I go compare? Perhaps I should forget the comparison sites and get the aviva deal, or should I behave badly with churchill (oh yes!)

One ad did work, I sold an old car for £50, was hoping for more like £100,000. Name who I sold it to for an upvote.

1. M Gale

I didn't think that was a brand of car though.

Is that like the key of the same name?

2. Big O
        Pint

*shudder* Would that be 'we buy any car (dot com)'?

Beer cos I need it now!

4. TRT Silver badge

The mobile industry is well known...

for talking bollocks, and other strange side-effects of keeping your phone in your trouser pocket.

5. Magani
    WTF?

Wither AdBlock for Mobiles?

' ...and concluded that "archaic perceptions of mobile advertising being intrusive are long gone".'

Which particular universe was this in? I hate them with a passion.

1. Da Weezil
      Mushroom

Re: Wither AdBlock for Mobiles?

They really didn't ask a broad enough spectrum of people... maybe the questions were aimed at a particular set of people in the hope of producing the intended result of the "survey".

My handset.. NOT your marketing media.. keep your intrusive crap away from my phone.... how long before this crud becomes a nuisance like the anonymous Ambulance Chasing/PPI texts that the alleged regulator is doing SFA about? To me they are as much a nuisance as a prank call at 2 am, and need to be stamped out.

6. Cave Dweller

One thought...

"Nearly half of punters polled in a survey..."

What about the punters who declined the survey? Those who take time to fill in the survey could be regarded as 'easily influenced'.

7. Ru
    Facepalm

"archaic perceptions of mobile advertising being intrusive are long gone"

Advertising, like a TSA gropedown, is intrusive.

Keep at it long enough though, and eventually you'll end up with a demographic who have known nothing else and so doesn't find it particularly irksome.

Me, though? I'll be paying for my apps before I follow any of those awful little screen-wasting attention-demanding adverts that the free versions come with.

8. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

So...

... a self-selected group (mobile phone users answering questions about mobile phone ads) being asked questions by a company that sells mobile phone ads say that mobile phone ads are a good thing.

Yep, that sounds like it's going to produce credible results to me...!

9. El Presidente
    Windows

Firefox beta

With adblock plus on my phone and N7 = no adverts. If I like an app enough 'll buy the ad free version.

Occasionally, I encounter a website which doesn't want to play well with Firefox and all of the security and convenience addons I have installed on my workstation and I have to resort to Internet Explorer.

Ye gods, how some people view web pages! It is incredible!

It's a wonder anyone can concentrate on the body of the page what with all the flashing and spinning adverts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Firefox beta

"It's a wonder anyone can concentrate on the body of the page what with all the flashing and spinning adverts."

With ease! Something wrong with your eyes?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. M Gale

Re: Firefox beta

Ever tried to read a paragraph while the text is busy re-wrapping because an advert has decided to start rolling out all over the place?

Obviously, you haven't. Try reading The Register without an adblocker some time. They're one of the prime culprits, these days. In fact it was this very site that persuaded me that enough was enough and it's time to run ABP.

Team Reg, give yourselves a pat on the back.

2. Lamont Cranston

@El Presidente

Geocities. It was like an internet bootcamp, where we learn't to read yellow text on a purple background, whilst dozens of animated gifs all clamoured for our attention.

10. Cliff

Survey population

Maybe the population was self-selecting by the survey being advertised in a mobile ad? This research stinks of someone with a vested interest asking a leading survey to produce a meaningless press release for publicity.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What ads

They have ads on mobiles? how quaint. My /etc/hosts file, I'll put what I want in there :)

12. g e

In other news....

Michelin say more people are buying tyres.

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: In other news....

That's just reminded me of a survey I did the other day on tyre buying, one of the questions specifically asked me why I didn't consider Michelin last time I bought tyres.

The simple reason was that they don't make tyres of the size I needed, but that wasn't one of the answers available, nor was "Other". In the end I just said they were too expensive.

Sometimes these surveys get rubbish results because they're badly designed.

13. LinkOfHyrule
    Holmes

Oh man what is that foul stinky smell

Oh its bullshit!

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Eh? What?

Mobile advertiser says that mobile advertising is effective.

I'm just amazed that they went to the trouble of getting some statistics for their lies about their damned lies.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ad company says it asked a thousand Brits if they liked mobile adverts and concluded that "archaic perceptions of mobile advertising being intrusive are long gone.

Man in the street says, the advterising companies are talking bollox and will say anything to keep thier job.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"happy to spend"?

I'd be happy to spend any amount of money via the secure channels provided by my mobile device - ON SOMETHING THAT WAS WORTH IT.

These Inmobi people are making a pretty strange interpretation there - I don't think most people (including me) see spending money via mobile as being a "risk". Not least because banks are obliged to indemnify their customers against fraud.

The factors that affect my likelihood to spend money are the same as in any other environment - whether the product or service represents good value, primarily.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"says the company supplying the ads"

Oh well, if an advertiser say so - must be true.

18. Crisp

Advertising Company claims Advertising Works!

Who'da thunk it?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reverse side of advertising

is that the more the Ad gets played the more you are determined never to buy that stinking product ever in a million years.

The same goes for the multitude of Virgin Media adverts that the Postie delivers almost every day. I wish I could get hold of the beaded one and tell him that I'll never buy VM. The reason is that everyone up my stree is on it and in the evenings it crawls alone. My FTTC connection flies by contrast. Add to that the fact that I'm happy with FreeSat and there really is no reason why I would ever want their service.

Now if only I could stop their mailings to 'The Householder'...

Beer O'clock. Sadly in this middle eastern part of the world where I am now beer and Ramadan don't mix. Still I'll be supping the 6x on Friday.

20. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

AdBlock

There are ads on web pages?

21. Mr Young
    WTF?

Survey? What a load of bollocks!

I've seen some surveys in my time but that really does take the biscuit!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Survey? What a load of bollocks!

Was that a Foxes Cream or a McVities chocolate digestive?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Ads?

One of the first things I did with my new Android phone was notice them. The next thing I did was to stop them.

23. b166er

Wait! There are adverts on mobiles?!? I hadn't noticed.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing mobile ads make me buy are ad-free versions of apps.

see above

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like