back to article IBM tells electrons to strictly come dancing in spintronics first

A persistent spin helix sounds like a possessed washing machine rather than a doorway to a massive overhaul in the speed of computer electronics. Yet that's the science behind a breakthrough by IBM boffins, who have used spintronics to store persistent binary data. Computers rely on electrical charge to hold binary information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike 140
    Happy

Reminds me of a spoof storage device from the early 70s that was going to replace disks – spherical storage. Complete with its own set of hardware instructions. I can only remember a few, no balls, twirl balls, and of course, all balls

1. Oliver Mayes

Any relation to the ads for write-only memory? Write once, impossible to read. Perfect security.

2. frank ly

I predict that ....

... within a year, this will be ready for commercial production within five years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is not in the Bible

Does the bible say anything about electrons? NO! So this is the devils work and should be banned, devils burned and their books destroyed like the Library of Alexandria.. Let the dark ages roll, JESUS!!!!..LOL... Televangelists/religious nuts!

4. KjetilS
    Thumb Up

Awesome

This is what happens when companies actually pour money into research, instead of litigation.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Yeah but

IBM Zürich actually CAN DO pretty fundamental research and has a tradition doing so.

Others will do less fundamental research but still come up with good stuff: better packaging, cheaper production, better and cheaper distribution, optimized user interfaces, better signal processing, a tweaking of the physical layer and possibly even novel ways to sell stuff. All of which are important. Sometimes however, perversion reigns and "innovators" start researching rounded corners...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Awesome

Agree, IBM is doing work in the storage space. They also just released real time, non-disruptive block compression in their SVC head.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like