back to article Moderate comments or face penalties: ACCC

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has weighed into the row over corporate Facebook pages, telling the The Age it would expect large businesses to be able to act on comments within 24 hours. Depending on your point of view, Australia either brought its advertising regulations into the Internet age last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Kean
    Happy

Testing...

Today, every Mod 54th visitor gets a free stuffed vulture!

2. Thorne
    Trollface

Scarey stuff. Basicly the ACCC has made companies legally responsible for user comments. No idea what this will do to facebook/youtube/twitter ect.

In other news trolls rejoice with the new havok they can cause

1. frank ly
      Happy

Oh yes ....

"Since I started drinking XYZ pale ale, the hair on my head has regrown and my sexual prowess has increased noticably. It's great, give it a try."

It didn't take long to type that and it's not defamatory or rude. :)

3. tkioz
    Angel

Sounds reasonable to me, given how annoying the companies have been behaving lately in "social media".

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Mana from heaven

For trolls anyway

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

damn

it must be so awful for advertisers to actualy have to obey the laws of the land their trying to rip-off.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

If it's a corporate advertising page

Then the corporation will have to police or moderate 'em.

Next argument: Is XYZ facebook page a stealth corporate advertising page or a genuine user's page?

7. Cpt Blue Bear

They're already heavily moderated

Does anyone seriously think these "sites" aren't already moderated by the ad agencies that run them? Partly to maintain control over their client's "message" but mostly, I suspect, so they have something ongoing to bill for. The ACCC is just putting them on notice that they know how the game is played and will knock heads if they think it gets out of hand.

1. Thorne

Re: They're already heavily moderated

Some yes but others no. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/veet_reviews/

The ramifications go much further. It's not a huge step to make the websites liable for user comments.

Just imagine The Register where all comments need to be approved by a lawyer before publishing. Any sites that allow public comments will cease to exist. No Facebook, Youtube or Twitter. The internet would shrink to a quarter of it's size

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like