back to article Apple Mountain Lion file points to Mac Pro update

Mac model information recorded in Apple's Boot Camp Assistant install-Windows-on-a-Mac app reveals what appears to be upcoming Mac Pro and iMac updates. The references, spotted by AppleInsider, 'IM130' and 'MP60' are said to be shorthand for 'iMac13,0' and 'MacPro6,0', which will be Apple's model numbers for two machines, if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Callam McMillan
    FAIL

No Optical Drive

I can understand why they want to scrap the optical drive from their portable products but to do so from their high-end workstation line seems like stupidity, unless of course they plan on squeezing a dual 8-core system into the tiniest of cases?

1. ThomH

Re: No Optical Drive

I have my fingers crossed that if this rumour amounts to anything at all then it just means no disc media drive by default, so a safe assumption that quite a few people (as a proportion, though this is hte Mac Pro we're talking about) won't have one.

There are quite a lot of people that are happy not to have one but it would be ridiculous to tell big-box buying professionals that they can use an external device or nothing.

2. Armando 123

Re: No Optical Drive

They may be scrapping BUILT IN optical drives. You can certainly buy third-party external optical drives if you need them.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

So this new Boot Camp gives users the option to install Windows from a USB stick... and it is then inferred the new machine lacks an optical drive.

A spacious £2000 workstation lacking a £20 optical drive? A machine aimed at people who edit video and photos and may want to distribute DVDs to clients?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'll do as your told and like it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A few months after

all PCs will have dropped the optical drive

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: A few months after

Better not!

I don't have a TV, so if I can't play a DVD/BR on my computer, I'll have to get the content from somewhere, er, online.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That same month, Apple CEO Tim Cook emailed a disgruntled fanboy to promise a "great" Mac Pro update is on the way."

How much of a virgin are you to email a manufacturer and complain that your machine doesn't fetaure newer technologies? He deserves a 'ole smack if the face and publicly humiliated for being such a girl.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

The same kind that endlessly trolls articles calling people names.

2. deadlockvictim
      Thumb Down

naive perhaps

What's wrong with being a girl?

1. 404
        Trollface

Mr. Garrison sez

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die..."

;)

4. Charles Calthrop

no drive?

i can see the point of saving space on a laptop, but on a tower???? Surely all you are doing is forcing most users to buy an external drive and ruin the minimalism of your tower design?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/09/boot-camp-files-hint-at-new-mac-pro-and-imac-models/

"It's been pointed out that these strings were in Boot Camp as early as November 2011."

Not a story I'm afraid.

6. jonathanb Silver badge

Is this really news?

Can you only install windows from a USB stick on computers that don't have optical drives?

Otherwise, the only news here is that Apple plans to release a new model in two of their product lines at some point in the future, which isn't really very surprising.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yet.Another.BS.Story

Other machines on the list are optical drive-less Macs, such as the MacBook Air and the "retina" MacBook Pro.

And other machines on the list have optical drives... so this proves nothing.

That said getting rid of the optical drive on the iMac makes a lot sense.. on the Mac Pro maybe not so much.

1. Annihilator
      Thumb Up

Re: Yet.Another.BS.Story

Indeed, the ability to boot from a USB flash drive doesn't preclude an optical drive from co-existing from such a system. I reckon all my PCs for the past 5+ years have supported booting from USB, so this seems like a slow news day...

8. OrsonX
    Unhappy

Mountain Lion

Mountain Sloth here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like