back to article Locking in the NBN

Supporters of Australia's government-backed National Broadband Network are fearful of what will happen if there’s a change of government in 2013, since the current federal opposition remains strongly committed to doing something else with the NBN. Exactly what the “something else” might be remains something we can only see …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMing
    Unhappy

The federal opposition of the day remains strongly committed to...

...pretending their party is in any way distinguishable from the governing party of the day.

2. Fluffy Bunny
    FAIL

On the other hand, some of us are paying for this thing and we think that $1,500,000,000 is a lot of money.

1. Roger Jenkins

Some of us are paying?

NBN is funded by repayable bonds, even the interest is repayable. So effectively it is paid for using someone elses money and they will get repaid with interest. $1,500,000,000 is indeed a lot of money, but then again, NBN have announced that they expect ROI to be higher than expected, so it's actually affordable. Save your agro for Testra, they caused the delays that partly required this added cost plus the deal with Optus that hands over their fibre assets.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note to the Budgie Smuggler and Friends

1 I think the present government are a complete waste of rations.

BUT

2 I also think the NBN is a project worthy of dragging this country back into the 21st Century.

So PLEASE DON'T CAN IT when you get into power next year.

4. John Angelico

NBN = TNM

The NBN is approaching TNM stage = The New Monopoly.

The current gummint (ALP or new labour flavour) has never hidden its disdain for the ideas of competition and free enterprise, even whilst enjoying the benefits.

Despite the bungled corporatisation of the old PMG - separation into Australia Post (highly successful commercially) and Telstra (highly successful financially but abysmal structurally, and with a woeful corporate culture), the country has some competition in telecomms.

Now that Telstra (11billion), Optus (about 900million) and whoever the hell the third carrier is, have sold their freedom to NBN, there will be no more competition: there will only be the NBN game in town telecomms-wise.

So AC above, if you want to see us go back to six-week lead times for a single telephone line install, go right ahead. If you want to have lovely 100Mbit speeds (theoretical) for traffic within Australia BUT no change for incoming international traffic, go ahead. If you want to pay over the odds for high-speed services, or be content with affordable middle of the road services at speeds we already have, go right ahead.

But don't expect me to put up with it. I'll go wireless to bypass the lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: NBN = TNM

"But don't expect me to put up with it. I'll go wireless to <del>bypass</del>clog up the lot."

Keep drinking the 4G cool-aid mate... Don't come crying to me when you're trying to eek a 300 bit per second trickle from your local overloaded cellular tower. Don't believe me though, just ask the IOC.

Personally, I'd love 100Mbit between my home, where the bulk of my computing resources are, and my workplace. I don't care for high-speed International traffic, it's domestically where I stand to gain the most from a widely available high-speed network.

2. Abel Adamski
      Facepalm

Re: NBN = TNM

John

May I suggest a wise person would not flaunt their ignorance and then build a fantastic edifice on it.

With the NBN connection on 93% of houses, except for the simpletons that refuse the free connection. Add in the sophisticated Management systems and B2B program, not only can you be up and running within days, maybe hours. You also have several providers offering monthly options. i.e Club Telco ,iiNet. If you were that keen you could take your service with you to a holiday house (Club Telco no cost for the temp relocate) and be with your family and still work some of the day.

Maybe find out what the real benefits are, what SMBE's are ripped off for for a business grade service and the massive savings with the NBN.

In 2014 the 1Gb is to be switched on for business (THE NBN is designed for 1Gb and greater).

That is where the NBN will be getting its high value customers and high volume traffic which is what will lift the per user income average and lower the wholesale cost for all of us.

Remember, profit is limited, "profit" is translated to lower charges. - whaty could be better than that?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Votebreaker

As things are right now Abbott&Co stand a pretty good chance of booting Gillard&Co out on their shiny arses at election time, but if they keep bashing the NBN they WILL lose!

6. Abel Adamski
    Thumb Down

Politics

AC

Scary

The Opposition are allowing their policies to be determined by the arrogant and ignorant media Shock jocks and Ruperts media.

In fact when you read the NBN vitriol, it comes back to wanting the taxpayer to subsidise and increase the footprint of Murdochs Pay TV Network (OPTUS HFC). Claiming for ccompetition, the reality to prevent competition to Murdochs Pay TV. Give the mugs limited or no choice

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like