back to article Ouya Android games console to ship April 2013

Ouya, the 'play Android tablet games on a telly' gadget, will be shipping in April 2013, the company behind it having been pledged a whopping $8.6m in crowdsourced funding - more than nine times the amount it was seeking. And it's taking orders. Slap down your local currency equivalent of $119 (£76), which includes $20 P&P, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

Wait, so not content with getting $8m from Kickstarter, they actually want punters to pay 9 months in advance? Wow! I know there are some big names behind it but even so...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In 9 months the hardware will be a joke, eclipsed by OpenCL-supporting next-gen GPUs. So yeah, better catch those lemmings^Wbuyers now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is possible that this may put some competitive pressure on XBox and Playstation, since games for the OUYA will be far, far cheaper. I suspect though that a lot of people will buy both, since they have different types of games, and different capabilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

as I wrote in the past, these games are targeted at different gamers. Games for your smartphone and tablets aren't the same as the ones for your handheld console nor the home console.

the phone games are meant to be a momentary distraction while you wait for bus or need to kill few minutes. Console games on the other hand are meant to keep you going for hours. This even reflect on the size of the game, phone games can be less then 100mb while most of the console games are more then few gigs in size.

don't make the mistake of thinking that if developers start making AAA games for phone, then the size and -more importantly- the price of those games will remain at just 99 cents. Bigger games cost a lot more to make, and therefore will need to be priced higher so that the developer can regain their development cost. And considering the sizes of those games, I honestly doubt that the user will buy many of them (storage restriction) and their price will push away casual buyer. And before you use Angry Bird as an example, let me say this, not every game that was released on the phone have become an Angry Bird success story.

Note, I left the difference between the different phones configurations and OS versions out of the above reply.

note 2, one of OUYA selling points is that it will make games available for free or cheap from the Android market or onLive. This doesn't encourage developers that much does it?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how long

before an OUYA emulator appears for the PC?

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

Re: I wonder how long

It's called the Android SDK, I believe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how long

Which sucks for ARM OpenGL or actually any ARM code. Have you tried running games on the SDK?

It would work if you could get the apps compiled for x86, but that's not very likely.

4. Greg J Preece

Ouya pitched its $99 box to punters in July, touting the Android gadget as the world's first hackable games console.

In a stunning display of "ignoring everyone else who tried it before us."

Personally not enthused. I don't mind the concept so much, but pretty much every single game I've played on native Android or iOS has been shit, with the replay value of a colonoscopy. They might amuse for 5 minutes on the train home, but that's it. Sitting down and playing that crap over my PS3, PC, X-box, etc? Not a chance in hell.

1. Great Bu

You weren't doing it right....

If you didn't enjoy your colonoscopy, you probably weren't doing it right.

(you know, a bit of soft music, scented candles, maybe a massage beforehand......*)

*Not available on the NHS.

2. Andy Watt
      Stop

Cynical stuff...

The fact they've got enough cash from backers on Kickstarter tells me it's a good enough idea, with perhaps better execution than previous attempts? Sales channels and word-of-mouth will do the job, if they get their media strategy right and get some names on board. You can't get off the ground without some positive thinking, otherwise... well, what's the point of starting anything?

63,416 Backers. $8,596,475 pledged of $950,000 goal - I'd say there are plenty of people who have an open mind, unlike yourself. How do you replay a colonoscopy interactively? Nifty.

You should stick to not writing poetry. http://www.poetryshared.co.uk/about.php

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

If this takes off...

... it would presumably encourage more Android games to work with a traditional gamepad rather than a touchscreen, where appropriate (think R-Type, not Worms). Would these games be suitable for Android phones / tablets used with a blutooth /USB gamepad, and thus giving Sony and Ninetndo a bit more to worry about on the portable gaming front?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If this takes off...

Cant see Sony being too fussed... considering they sell android tablets and phones.

6. RyokuMas
    Coat

Ships April 2013...

... fragmentation issues to start by Sept 2013

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most boxes connected to a TV are of a similar shape...

DVD players, satellite decoders, video machines, etc.

Even the PS3 and the XBox360 fit in that same size hole.

Cubes are not a good shape for most people.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Most boxes connected to a TV are of a similar shape...

Given what's in the box, does this thing really need to be much bigger than phone? Mind you, there's no scale on the picture, so maybe it's really no bigger than a large d6.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Most boxes connected to a TV are of a similar shape...

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/08/ouya-size-media-radio/

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that a PS3 is the same size as an Ouya? This thing is tiny.

3. Andy Watt
      Stop

Re: Cubes are not a good shape for most people.

Well, that's my coffee screwed. Oh no! Wait! I'll have those poncey sugar lumps.

8. Bob Terwilliger

Emulators???

Surely one of the main uses for this, at least initially, would be emulators & retro-gaming?

A Megadrive & SNES in the same box with hundreds of Roms available on line means there's already a massive back catalogue albeit of questionable legality.

1. Sloppy Crapmonster
      Alert

Re: Emulators???

"A Megadrive & SNES in the same box with hundreds of Roms available on line means there's already a massive back catalogue albeit of questionable legality."

There's nothing questionable about the legality of most of those ROMs on the internet.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Emulators???

I was under the impression that it was legal to own a ROM if you owned the original cartridge, though I appreciate that backups can be a grey area

9. Euchrid

Kickstarter and tech

Tech projects don't have a great track record Kickstarter - something like the Pulse Watch managed to get over $10 million, but they've now said they're going to miss the estimated shipping date in September and won't say when people will get the goods they've stumped up for.

There have been some impressive deals linked to OUYA, but there are rather a lot of questions unanswered - and Penny Arcade ran an excellent report.

10. RICHTO
    Mushroom

Unless it can also play back MKVs @ 1080p then imo it is doomed....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like