back to article Virgin Media punters stung in mobile data bill cock-up

A number of Virgin Media customers were wrongly billed for mobile data usage last month due to a system error, The Register has learned. However, the telco was unable to tell us exactly what had gone wrong. A Virgin Media spokesman assured El Reg that customers who had been incorrectly billed needn't worry as the ISP is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good for them

sounds as if this is a good news story for VM: foud an issue, then fixed it. well done chaps. good customer sevrvice all round!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: good for them

Good news story? Yeah it is great news that customers have been overcharged and had money taken out of their bank by VM, possibly tipping some of them into over draught charges.

VM PR employee alert!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: good for them

Now now in all fairness you often hear about a problem before the company resolves it. This is something were hearing about from the company, so fair play to them.

I dont work in PR (probably wise) nor have any direct or indirect involvment with VM in any way shape or form.

That said friend recently got sold a couple of contracts (they have TV and cable with landline currently) via a sales call and the deal they were sold is downright disgusting, but thats another story.

2. Blitterbug
      Trollface

Re: well done chaps. good customer sevrvice all round!

The trolling is strong in this one...

2. Danny 14

note really

in which case you photocopy your bill, photocopy the bank statement showing how the VM error was the ONLY charge to put you into the red that month with the charges highlighted and ask for compensation (and possible a goodwill gesture too). DD mandate will cover you too as it was an erroneous charge therefore covers you for actual losses incurred. DD also offers an immediate refund option too, I wonder how fast they gave th money back?

Two letters will sort it out (one to ask and one to confirm any details), stop being a drama queen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: note really

ALl that extra work and paperwork for Virgins mistake.... My original point still stands, Its is NOT good news and worth patting Virgin on the back for.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: note really

Good advise and I would also add a service charge per letter like they charge you for not paying via DD and also for hard copy bills, only fair.

But if your realy upset then small claims courts can be fun. Though I suspect they will bend to your will if you ask.

Also before you send any bank statement copies in the post to another company ask yoruself if your happy for that to happen and maybe ask your bank to write a letter just explaining the impact and associated charges. If your bank charges then pass that cost along by all means. But do not compromise yourself further than you have too.

There may also be a Virgin Media shop near you, that is always worth a pop into if you have a complaint and if they palm you off with we don't deal with that side of things then explain that you don't either but your having too and seems only fair they do as well.

Remember compaining is a British pastime, make sure our culture lives on for generations to come.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

> meaning customers will not end up..

Lol, my eyes must be a bit off today. I first read that as 'moaning customers will not end up'..

4. andy gibson
    Unhappy

Immediate refund?

When Virgin screw up my bill, and it's happened a few times over the last few years, all I get is "we'll credit your next bill with the difference".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Immediate refund?

You should invoice them a auditing chargefor your time and efforts in doing there job for them, breach of contracts work both ways as well remember.

5. En_croute
    Alert

Data & Charges

I'm on a 1gb data allowance, but with the 'limpics currently streaming (TVCatchup), I've been keeping a close eye on how much data I'm sucking up.

Differences:

ISC (4.0.2) on the my Galaxy S3 reports I've used 1.62gb

3G Watchdog says I've used 1.98gb

Network Error:

"My T-Mobile" says I've used 0kb of data since my last bill (Mid July)

Mine's the coat with the tethering cable

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Data & Charges

thats because its a fair usage policy not an allowance like you get with minutes/sms

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. En_croute
        WTF?

Data usage normally shows in "My T-Mobile"

After 1gb, I normally get a text and then get restricted to Browsing only between 4pm and midnight, until the new billing period.

No Tweetdeck or Gmail app etc

This month - nothing!

Long may it last

The point I was going to make (before the T-Mobile zero data surprise) was how apps and networks monitor, track and bill for data is seemingly patchy at best and downright guesswork at worst.

I previously used SPB Wireless Monitor (paid App for HTC HD2 & paid again for Galaxy S2) that was so different from T-Mobile, it was useless.

2. PeterM42
      Thumb Up

O2 have a webpage which tells me my monthly usage "...to 23:59:59 on 16th" of each month even though my new monthly allowance STARTS at 00:00:00 on the 16th, but several MONTHS on from first reporting this problem they are unable to fix it. It took them AGES to even understand the problem, so at least Virgin are capable of recognising the problem and fixing it!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ofcom's dim view

I'm sure many would agree Ofcom's view is often dim, as are many of its policies, "solutions" it suggests for consumer problems and the quality of its logic when it comes to (infrequently levelling) fines. It also appears to view the public as dim, or so one must assume from the number of times it tries to pull the wool over our eyes or persuade us that collating complaints for a (very) rainy day is the same thing as being useful and errrrrm, regulating.

I suspect the dimmest their view of Virgin will get is the same type of benign, indulgent, fatherly dimness they appeared to be expressing toward the Murdoch Sky bid before the long overdue excrement hit the fan and they were forced into a 180 turn marginally quicker than a Sopwith Camel.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a thousand Ofcom's doing absolutely nothing useful, forever.

7. Bj2k10
    Thumb Down

I called Virgin last week about this as I'd spotted charges on my account via the web interface and was told by the staff in India that it was because I was downloading things and not just looking at web pages. I was also told you couldn't watch YouTube, BBC iPlayer or download songs or you would be charged! They couldn't explain to me which pages would incur these magical charges and which wouldn't. They also told me this was all the in the terms and services. I was basically abused by them when I told them they were wrong until I got fed up and put the phone down on them

I called the cancellations department but they said the matter couldn't be sorted until the bill was available as they can't access the bill until the end of month which it is tomorrow. They better come up with a very good deal or they will be losing a customer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Very odd

I had an extra £1 charge on my bill, registered a complaint, polite Indian woman called, agreed it was wrong and took it off. Mildly annoying, but then last month the Azure cloud went down in Europe for a couple of hours, last year Blackberry had an outing, recently O2 had a massive glitch which for some reason hit other people in the office but not me, and before that a Java update made Google Web Toolkit misbehave for a day till I fixed it.

The point being, 100% reliability is unattainable except by NASA, and I wouldn't like to think what the monthly phone bill would be if everyone had their development methodology.

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Bloody hell!

If they charge £1.99 for 0Kb I wonder how much a gigabyte costs using the same rate?

*gets calculator*

Bloody hell I make that infinite pounds and infinite pence! I'm glad I'm not a Virginyte as I don't think I could manage a repayment plan for a debt that steep!

9. Mr_No_Handle

I'm not surprised at all with this story. I'm with VM on my mobile and home phone and found I was being charged for calls to VM mobiles when these calls were included as part of my landline package. I only noticed these charges as a call was over the 50p itemisation threshold otherwise I could have been paying for these 'free' calls for years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like