back to article Court orders Twitter to unmask Dark Knight copycat killer wannabe

Twitter has given cops details of a tweeter who threatened to go on a shooting rampage at a performance of ex-boxer Mike Tyson's one-man show. A US court compelled the social network to hand over records it holds on the user a full three days after an initial request from New York police was ignored by the website's team. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. banjomike
    Thumb Up

after an initial request ... was ignored by the website's team.

Fair enough. The police can get a court order within a few hours if they really want one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "this does not appear to fall under those strict parameters"

Actually means "What, you're taking it seriously? Come on guys, this is Twitter".

1. Blane Bramble
      Joke

Re: "this does not appear to fall under those strict parameters"

The problem is, the police request was:

"@twitter - rly imprnt - can haz dox for terrist pls?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love it

Not the whole killing thing, but the fact that a guy saying he's going to kill people, and he isn't joking, doesn't trigger twitters strict protocol. But they can give the location of somebody saying he's glad an olympiads dad is dead.

Way to go twotter. I'm sure all of your twats are proud of the service.

1. ukgnome

Re: I love it

it was actually the threat to drown Tom and not the poor taste dead dad jibe.

Way to go Anonymous Coward. I'm sure all of your comments make you proud.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I love it - ukgnome

And a threat to physically drown an Olympic class swimmer approaching the peak of his physical fitness should be taken more seriously that somebody threatening to enter a public place with a gun and kill random people.

I mean, people never take guns into public places and randomly kill people do they? And the police never find a blog entry or a facebook post or a web page after its happened detailing what they were going to do.

1. ukgnome

sigh

in this country it is a criminal offence to threaten to kill, drown or generally harass someone. The top 3 that you can be prosecuted under are -

Protection from Harassment Act 1997

Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994

Malicious Communications Act 199

but can also include

Public Order Act 1986

Just by calling you an asshat I could in theory be prosecuted, however the CPS would probably not bother as you had obscured your identity . As you have anonymity I can therefore call you wand threaten you in any way I like as for all I know you could just be an advanced lump of over ripe cheese.

4. nsld
    WTF?

given the nature of the idiot in the UK

Its likely he had location on his twitter/facebook and was already well known to the local plod, I doubt they even asked Twitter for his IP address.

In fact I seem to recall that once Daley set his twatter followers on the Riley character they outed his details along with mutlple threats etc etc

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Crime does pay

So we have a play about a thug rapist, on broadway, starring the actual rapist...

Great!!!

Roll on "butchery with Sutcliffe." Or Expand your house by J Fritzell...

1. Chris007
      Coat

Re: Crime does pay

or "Radical house parties" with C. Manson

"Dining for two, sorry one" by D. Neilson

"Babysitting 1,2,3" by M. Jackson

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like