back to article YouTube app wrenched from next Apple iPhones, iPads

YouTube has been unceremoniously dumped from iOS 6, the latest beta version of Apple's mobile operating system reveals. The Google-owned video website's native app for iPhones and iPads is bundled with Cupertino's shiny gadgets, and pops up to play video on behalf of other applications, but this cosy relationship is coming to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paratrooping Parrot
    Mushroom

I have been able to share files on Bluetooth on my cheap mobile without needing any additional stuff since 2005!

1. Andy ORourke
      Joke

Ah, but now.........

You can do it in style :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't say file sharing does it? This is another kind of sharing enabled by Bluetooth 4.

3. M Gale

Same here.

And I can share stuff with people who don't have the exact same brand of phone as I do!

Well, unless they have an iPhone. In which case, sucks to be them.

4. Dazed and Confused

But next year

> I have been able to share files on Bluetooth on my cheap mobile ...

but next year you will be sued because you'll have broken Apple's patent for it, and the judge will have decreed that prior art is no defence.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who needs Bluetooth

When Android 4.1 has WiFi Direct for file transfers between phones. Same idea but a hell of a lot faster.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now that YouTube has been removed I will five of them. If the dump Facebook I'll double the purchase.

2. Steve Todd

It takes two to Tango

Google limited what Apple could do with their mapping APIs (raster images only, limited caching and no turn-by-turn navigation to mention a few), it's hardly surprising that they got canned for maps.

As for YouTube, Apple's player was add free (something that can't have pleased Google) and wouldn't play certain videos (which wouldn't make Apple happy). Come renegotiation time if the two couldn't agree a compromise then it's unsurprising it got canned too. Google are free to write their own app, and YouTube has HTML5 support so you can still see videos in the browser.

3. g e
    Meh

Sounds like what Apple are trying to make

Is a Galaxy S3 / OneX to be honest.

Maybe the V6 device will get there.

1. tommy060289

Re: Sounds like what Apple are trying to make

If they did I wont be buying one. The galaxy S3 is a great tablet but it is seriously just too big to be a phone. It should come with novelty size foam hands for scale.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

... how small are your hands?

1. tommy060289

I have pretty big hands actually. The S3 is just too big imho. I picked it up and thought wow what a great screen but its not something you can use one handed.

1. Chet Mannly

"I picked it up and thought wow what a great screen but its not something you can use one handed."

Sure you're not confusing it with the 5.3" screen Galaxy Note?

The S3 is barely bigger than the S2 in the hand - more screen less bezel.

4. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

As Graham Chapman would have said

"This is all very silly."

People's Front for the Liberation of Judea anyone?

1. ukgnome

Re: As Graham Chapman would have said

Not them, we are the Judean Peoples Liberation Front

1. cosmo the enlightened
        Happy

splitters

2. keith_w
        Thumb Up

nono, we're the liberation front for the people of Judea

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

I thought we were the popular people's front...

5. teapot9999
    Thumb Up

Never used it

Youtube video on a mobile phone - never used it, never need it, won't miss it when I upgrade my iPhone and iPad to iOS6

1. M Gale

Re: Never used it

Meanwhile for those of us that use public transportation, Youtube on a mobile device is fucking awesome.

So is all-you-can-eat data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Meanwhile for those of us that use public transportation, Youtube on a mobile device is fucking awesome."

Public transport? YouTube on a mobile awesome? Surely no self-respecting adult would admit to that in a public forum? Is the aforementioned transport a school bus by any chance?

"So is all-you-can-eat data."

So is all you can eat pizza.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Gerhard den Hollander

Havent used it much, but mobile phones and youtube are a pretty good match when it comes to displaying throw away content. YouTube has it's uses, and youtube on a mobile has them as well.

And as another poster mentioned, YouTube + unlimited internet + public transportation makes for a good combo if you ran out of things to read, and cannot be arsed to make conversation with the people around you (who all are either reading or watching youtube on their cellphone as well).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good

I always hated when websites showing video redirected to the Youtube app. Now they'll simply show videos in the browser as they should.

7. Mike Judge
    FAIL

iOS getting downgraded by the day...

Rubbish maps, no YouTube, what's next?

It seems it's no longer about what USERS want, it's about what Apple want for the users....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iOS getting downgraded by the day...

Apple did not get where they are today by asking people what they should be doing. Apple know what is best for you. Not that big of a deal.

2. Steve Todd
      FAIL

And you know just how good or bad the new maps app is

just how? The data is coming from, among others, TomTom, not open street maps. It's now vector based and can cache a couple of hundred miles in each direction. Until we see the release version I'd say you were trolling.

1. Mike Judge
        FAIL

Re: And you know just how good or bad the new maps app is

Does it have Streetview?

No, of course not. We also know that outside the US, it's going to suck donkeyballs, just like everything Apple..

There is not a hope in hell it will even be 10% of what Google Maps is. There is also the unanswered question that Apple are keen to avoid answering over how much turn by turn will cost users. They have never said it will be free, and we do know the TomTom deal Apple pay TomTom peruse. I will bet money right now that won't be absorbed, and Apple owners will be buying navigation credits via iTunes...

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

I'd much rather have turn-by-turn navigation than streetview, and Google weren't going to let Apple have that.

In case you hadn't noticed TomTom are a Dutch company, so it's got a pretty good set of European data. Apple are known to have partnered with multiple map data providers to give them full global coverage (were allowed, some countries ban hand held GPS).

Now what ACTUAL proof do you have?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Commenting on the beta (which is why I'm anonymous), turn by turn comes at the cost of both streetview and public transport directions. The latter is enough to make me install whatever maps application Google end up offering.

2. Chet Mannly

"I'd much rather have turn-by-turn navigation than streetview,"

Google maps gives you both for free - are you saying you'd *rather* have a downgrade than both functionalities?

1. Steve Todd
              Stop

Not on an iPhone it doesn't. If Google want to provide their own version with those features then I'll take a look at it and see which I prefer, but the version of Maps provided in iOS is limited by what Google will let Apple do and is badly outclassed by the Android app.

3. Hooksie
      Thumb Down

Em, "no longer" about what users want? When has Apple ever been about what users want? Users don't know what they want until Apple releases a device that doesn't have it. Anyone forget the first iPhone that didn't send mms?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Rubbish maps, no YouTube, what's next?"

Real life? Wayhayyyyyyyy!

"It seems it's no longer about what USERS want, it's about what Apple want for the users"

Nuttin' new there then. Same ol' same, ol'.

8. Adam T

In the words of Michael Stipe

Everybody hurts. Users, that is, anyway.

I'm looking forward to the day when we can say, "hey you remember those companies, Google and Apple? Whatever happened to those guys, huh?".

9. tommy060289
    Thumb Up

good, this can only be useful

1. The youtube app is crap

2. The web app is far superior and is more user friendly and generally better suited to the phone

3. If google does make a proper app, at least it will separated from the core apps which means it can be updated separately rather than waiting for updates to iOS 6.x.x

1. Si 1

Re: good, this can only be useful

Yep, when I first heard the news I was a bit worried/disappointed as I do use the app quite a lot, but if Google can release a decent standalone app I'm hoping they can add in a lot of features that I've been missing for some time.

In particular I'm really hoping for proper playlist support where it can automatically play the next video in the playlist (along with shuffle and loop options), automatic background playback would be nice and the ability to add videos to a quickplay list would also be very useful.

I just hope Google don't cripple the app as part of the on-going tit-for-tat between them and Apple.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: good, this can only be useful

1) Youtube is crap

2) Youtube is crap

3) Youtube is crap

Oh, did I mention that Youtube is crap?

10. Lockwood

You're missing the point

"Apple has its own native video app, called er Video"

So, any phone with a movie player called "Video" rather "Movies" is likely to end up in court?

11. Z-Eden
    Meh

Nice. The less integration the better. Let me pick and choose where I get my content and the method. Although, with twitter and soon to be arriving facebook integration on iOS (something that annoys me so much on my SE Android phone) it's a double edged sword...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame

I personally really like the app and it'll be a shame to lose that and Google maps from iOS6. I think I'll hold off upgrading to iOS6 for as long as possible since there's not many features added that interest me and if anything they are removing some of the bits I use the most.

Yes there'll be the web site app but they just really aren't the same

1. O RLY

Re: Shame

Agreed. Removing Google Maps and Youtube and adding Facebook integration are three things that make iOS less appealing. Apple's prevention of the telcos from smearing their waste across the UI was something to be lauded; the forced smear of Twitter and Facebook in every menu compels me to consider something else. I've long grown tired of having to see "Tweet" appear every time I want to email or message a website or a picture. Adding another useless button that can't be disabled without jailbreak frustrates me.

13. Droolster
    Stop

Hmmm.

Many may not use You Tube on iOS but many more do. Either Apple is trying to shoot itself in the foot or Google is gunning for them.

14. paulej72

No longer needed

Why would Apple want to support the YouTube app anymore. When iOS first came out Google did not have HTM5 working with YouTube so any iOS device needed a special app to be able to play the videos since Flash was not available. Now Apple is better off not redirecting YouTube anymore since it work and gives the users a better experience as they will not have to wait for another app to start before they can see the latest lolcat.

Eric

15. Mark 78

Is this Apple seeing how far they can push people while still selling phones?

Maybe they should try banning any Facebook apps and see if people still buy their shiny phones.......

1. Test Man
      WTF?

Re: Is this Apple seeing how far they can push people while still selling phones?

Apple aren't banning YouTube or Maps. They're simply canning their own versions of apps that make use of Google data (Maps, YouTube). Google will simply supply their own developed one at some point and in the meantime people can make use of the webapp which works better than those Apple versions anyway.

2. Derezed
      Trollface

Re: Is this Apple seeing how far they can push people while still selling phones?

Who needs Facebook? They'll be an iFace by the end of the year (and obviously a law suit against Facebook for stealing their concept).

16. Select * From Handle
    FAIL

i think this will hurt apple alot.

One of the main things that first got my attention with iPhones was the fact that it could play Youtube on the move! i never did buy an iphone and i am now glad. TBH i think all google need to do is slap a £9 price tag on a youtube app for iphone, change the website so if it detects safari browser to turn them to the app store and fanbois may flock to android. how will the cool kids show everyone the latest trending vids? Google may even profit from this...

1. Jonathan White
      FAIL

Re: i think this will hurt apple alot.

'One of the main things that first got my attention with iPhones was the fact that it could play Youtube on the move! '

It still will be able to, genius.

1. Select * From Handle
        Facepalm

Re: i think this will hurt apple alot.

Through safari Lawwwwl... Thats adding aleast 4-5 taps of the screen if they have m.youtube.com bookmarked.... if not enjoy typing youtube into search... :D

Web apps usually appear slower than local apps. As soon as you are in an area where you have poor signal nothing will be on your screen... Genius...

YouTube should put a price tag on their app for iPhone it will change the market considerably.

'One of the main things that first got my attention with iPhones was the fact that it could play Youtube on the move! <---- i forgot to mention this was when the first iPhone came out as most phones these days come with some sort of YouTube app...

17. Rob
    Go

I'm sure it will get reinstated...

... if it doesn't then it looks like iOS is turning into a mini communist state where Apple are slowly cutting it's users off from the outside world and soon it will be the Great Firewall of Apple we'll be reading about.

18. Senior Ugli
    IT Angle

the youtube app is rubbish, its badly thought out and really annoys me when you jump out of safari into the youtube app and it says cannot play video. How pointless is that.

19. Big_Ted

Oh goody

Google Maps.........gone

Youtube................gone

Loads of intigration with Facebook......added

No support for most stuff on ipad 1........done

Yep there is more than enougth reason not to update to version 6, mostly the facebook bits. I DON'T WANT THEM, keep that bunch away from my devices.......

20. sabroni Silver badge

Why use the app?

I have a YouTube app on my android phone but I never use it, I just go to the mobile site.

What does the app give you that the mobile site doesn't? It's a streaming video app, if you don't have an internet connection it won't work so why not just use the site? Plus the mobile site should work on all standards compliant devices. I don't get it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why use the app?

I prefer apps purely because of the hassle of logging in. I quite often flush the browser cache on my droid and ipad (I design and develop websites). Most of my passwords are over 20 chars long of random characters. Also I can leave the app running in the background and not worry about the missus closing the YouTube tab in Safari etc. There are other reasons but they are the main ones. That said it's not a show stopper. I'll change and adapt if needed.

2. Vic

Re: Why use the app?

> What does the app give you that the mobile site doesn't?

I have a very cheap Android.

On that, the browser frequently fails to play youTube content for one reason or another. The app hasn't failed, to the best of my recollection.

Of course, the real answer is just to buy a decent Android. But I was skint at the time :-)

Vic.

21. mraak
    Pint

"cats and warbling hipsters"

Life is beautiful :)

22. phear46

an handful?

Really? I almost think that was placed there to lure me to comment. (check what I replied to with my last post)

As a sheffielder ill admit to speaking it that way but not writing! Cmon guys....

23. RAMChYLD
    Facepalm

No big loss I guess

The Youtube app was seriously lacking, and there's no way to sort search. To the point that I prefer using Safari to view videos.

Still, it doesn't bother me, my first gen iPad wouldn't be receiving iOS 6 anyway.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oddly...

I upgraded to iOS6 beta 4 on Monday evening, and my Youtube app is still there and working...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like