back to article FaceTime in the dock

It looks like Apple’s set for yet another court room showdown in China after a Taiwanese man claimed that the fruity toy maker infringed one of the patents he owns with its FaceTime video calling technology. Apple’s lawyers in the region have been a busy bunch ever since the firm settled out of court with Proview over the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Jones 1
    FAIL

Apple Could Not be Reached

I do hope that their lack of response was not becaause you phoned them and their phones did not work, - as has been the case in the past!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's

Taken him this long to remember he has a patent?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Fag vs. Fag

Can we have a weekly comic strip?

3. petrolhead

Funny how the chinese are all of a sudden tightening up on ip infringement, except when its a chinese company doing the copying.

1. ukgnome
      Trollface

What's funnier is the amount of of infringement Apple has undertaken to get its devices on the market.

I wonder if Judge Koh knows about this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder where he got his brilliant idea from?

Maybe it came to him while he was using Microsoft NetMeeting (released with Windows 95, I think...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me..

.. or does anyone else see that US companies are slowly hoisted by their own petard?

I bet the Chinese have realised you can make money with this without actually having to make something. It's brutally ironic that both the US and China kickstarted their economies by totally ignoring IP rights. The US has by now overcompensated for that, I wonder how long it takes for the Chinese to catch up.. Personally, I think they're too bright for that, they will only go so far as it creates revenue.

Having said that, as they already own large chunks of the US it feels a bit like self harm :)

6. pcsupport

Why don't the worlds patent legal beagles get together, decide on a statute of limitations period of, say 2 years, which gives people / companies plenty of time to sue for patent infringment within that 2 year period and after that then it's tough luck.

1. Callam McMillan

Because that would deprive lawyers of vast amounts of money.

As for why it takes so long to bring cases, could it not be because you have to prove they're infringing on your patent. Sure, in some cases this is obvious because there is no way the thing can do what it does without infringing. In other cases though, I imagine it would be quite an effort to prove your patent is being used and therefore infringed upon?

7. Cameron Colley

Please, please don't license it to Apple.

I would love to see Apple have to drop Facetime in China due to this. They deserve to lose out for once, with their deliberate stifling of innovation wherever they can.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Please, please don't license it to Apple.

"and recall and modify all existing phone to remove usage of said patent"

You've heard of Software Update, right?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like