back to article Bargain-hunting Chinese make life tough for iOS devs

Apple iOS developers in China are struggling to make a living from the platform, with App Store revenues in the region accounting for just three per cent of the global total, despite scooping 18 per cent of worldwide downloads. A new report from Shanghai-based analyst Stenvall Skoeld (via TNW) claims that Apple and its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember that living costs are less than that in the Euro Zone, app prices will be lower in China.

69p here equates to feeding a family of four for two days over there.

Profits will inevitably be less!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

curious

Can't afford to buy apps but can afford to buy the phone.

1. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

Re: "Can't afford to buy apps but can afford to buy the phone"

"One reason is that a large amount of iOS devices in China are ‘jailbroken’, allowing users to download apps for free from alternative ‘app stores’."

Perhaps rather than "can't pay" it is more a question of "won't pay" or "I want to choose"? If the amount of jailbreaking is on the sort of scale hinted at by the article it is possible that the grey market resellers in China (a very significant part of iPhone sales in that country) are routinely offering this as a service to their customers*. If that is the case and the alternative apps are widely available (as implied in the article), then unless Apple can establish the kind of control/influence over its retail distribution in China that it enjoys in Europe and the US, it's app-store model may be under far greater threat in China than anyone (myself included) had so far realised.

*Or a veritable cottage industry of jailbreakers/rooters has arisen - whatever, the end result is the same.

2. John Bailey

Re: curious

Or.. Can afford to buy the phone, not stupid enough to waste their money.

2. Anakin
    FAIL

3 percent

Is better then 3 per cent

3. Tom 79
    Angel

Rampant piracy in China. News at 11.

4. hodma727

Beijings firewall

Downloading apps was so damn slow on my iPhone and iPad in China I got use to waiting overnight for new Apps and updates to apply. That can't be helping. I'm assuming Apple doesn't have App servers sitting inside the crappy Firewall of China. Perhaps they should.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android growth in China.

IS what the real story is. Apple are nowhere....

6. DougW
    Holmes

orly?

Chinese ripping of Chinese developers? Who would have thought that?

1. Justice
      Trollface

Re: orly?

IMPOSSIBRU!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

there may be 10 usefull apps out their on any platform.

Other than those, who needs 100,000 talking cats and the rest of the absolute SH TE devs try to push.

Only the f cking brain dead are interested.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like