back to article Amazon: e-book purchases push past paper

Amazon.com's UK wing claims its British customers are now buying more e-books than printed-on-paper editions. According to the online retailer, for every 100 print books sold in 2012 so far, 114 electronic tomes have been purchased. That, it notes, includes sales of paperbacks and hardbacks that lack an equivalent e-edition. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    Thumb Down

Pffft - they're not REAL books.

If it don't smell like a book, feel like a book or look like a book, it ain't a book, whether it has e- in front of it or not.

1. Rab Sssss
      Happy

Re: Pffft - they're not REAL books.

its kind of hard to carry about 200 real books in your jacket pocket ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Kind of hard to copy and paste code out of a textbook you're reading and into a file...

2. johnnytruant

My ereader lives inside a lovely hardback, leather-bound jacket. It looks like a book, smells and feels like a book too. It's a book. It's also a library, dictionary and (if you really want it to be) a web browser and mp3 player.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By that same line of thinking, then an MP3 isn't really music since....what.... it doesn't feel like, smell, or look like......what, a CD, an LP, an 8 track?

I understand there are pros and cons to having one form of media to another, but for some, it doesn't matter. I have a mass collection of books which is growing larger by the years. No E reading device yet, but they are looking more and more attractive.

1. johnnytruant

Rare that I'll resort to either linking to Twitter or Stephen Fry, but he makes a good point here:

"One technology doesn't replace another, it complements. Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators."

http://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/1312682218

2. Steve James 1

Would certainly agree that it doesn't mean we are reading more. My Kindle has several hundred books on it, the majority freebies that I've grabbed when I could. As for reading, I've probably finished 5.

1. ThomH

It means I'm reading more in the very literal sense; as the sort of person that tended to read about half a book and then wander off even when that meant building up a big pile of them, my Kindle has facilitated an even more scattergun approach.

I doubt I'm reading more words but I am definitely dipping into more books.

3. Big_Ted

Until they remove VAT from ebooks like on paper books I won't buy full price ebooks.

Its too easy finding thousands via usenet to need to look to Amazon etc.

1. fandom

don't worry, after they equal VAT in electronic and dead tree books you will find another excuse no to pay.

4. Kevin Johnston

+1

to grabbing does not equal reading....

Even as someone who reads a lot I can safely say that I have a ridiculous number of e-books that I have not read yet. It is possible that I may never get round to reading some of them as I have the hardback 'realbook'* version of them which I prefer to read but I keep the e-book just in case.

Like most tech-stuff it's horse for courses and while I would never try to take a fortnight's worth of books on a holiday rather than some form of loaded e-reader, I would not take even a Kindle to the beach as dunking a tenner's worth of dead-tree is far less traumatic than watching your e-reader sinking below the waves.

* if 'realbook' isn't trademarked/patented/copyrighted then I claim it, especially in East Texas.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many never read

I have thousands of paperbacks, and haven't read hundreds of them; some I will, many I won't, but I don't know which yet, and never will. There is nothing unusual about buying books you never read.

As for piracy, I am sure there are many people with vast libraries of pirated media (book, film, music) that they have never used, and never will.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clarification needed.

Are they talking open EPUBs, or closed AMZ books, or both?

7. Pedigree-Pete

VAT on E-Books

What's that all about. Either you want to encourage people to read or you don't.

Kindle, if you don't want to read it why store it.

8. 404

IDK

As a man who has a wife, who started downloading free books on to her Blackberry from Amazon, who also has progressed through the Kindle 3 to the current Fire - I wonder about Amazon's numbers. Every time she d/l's a book, we get an email receipt from Amazon whether it's $0.00 or whatever. Looks like a purchase, smell's like a purchase - not a purchase. Over 3500 ebooks, maybe ten actual purchases, due to Amazon's free one day, charge the next day pricing structure.

9. quarky
    FAIL

Who cannot read?

"The figure doesn't include freebies, either."

So all of you talking about freebies, go back and read the article.

Personally I think this is fantastic news. More people reading (even if it is trash) is always a good thing. I know that I have read more books this year already than in the last three years combined.

1. 404

Re: Who cannot read?

Damn near every ebook Amazon sells has been free one day or another -> so "The figure doesn't include freebies, either." is technically correct. They have the classics, out of copyright books that are always free, but there are 20-30 normally paid ebooks free on a day to day basis, changing day to day, so the numbers would be inflated.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like