back to article Acer Iconia Tab A510 10in Android review

In my view, the 16GB Google Nexus 7 is pretty much the ideal Android tablet, but if that form factor is too small for you, then you might be interested in what Acer has cooked up lately. Say hello then to the Iconia Tab A510. Targeted at those who want a quad-core machine, it offers a 10.1in screen, 32GB of storage and for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joeykins

£350?

ASUS Transformer TF300 costs £49 more and comes with a removable keyboard & extended battery. No brainer for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks but no thanks

Or an iPad 2 on clearance for £280 if you look. Less RAM and a slower processor, but a much better screen.

1. the-it-slayer
        Linux

Re: Thanks but no thanks

Ditto. And much better apps available. Another tablet that's forgetable and will bite the dust after one update. Even the penguin says so.

1. GregC

If you're in the market for this machine, then chances are expandable storage is pretty high on your list of priorities. That makes any iPad a non-starter.

I do agree the price is too high though - the Nexus 7 has changed the game in that regard. At £250 it might be in with a shout (16Gb would be fine as far as I'm concerned) but £350 is too much.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Alert

Nexus 7 has changed the game

This. Good for Android, great for Android users, terrifying for OEMs who need to find a way to differentiate their products fast. I can see why Google did it (to fend off Windows 8, to invade the iPad's turf, to show what pure Android can do without some crummy skin), but having to compete with them in the hardware arena when Google aren't seeking to make a profit there must be infuriating. Adaptability and expandability (and above all the Transformer series' keyboard docks) have to be their best bets.

But with Google the only tablet OS in town for now they're just going to have to put up with it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But with half the storage, no expansion, no HDMI and a smaller screen with a lower dpi? Don't think so.

2. Big_Ted

Re: £350?

Got a tf300 myself and its a great bit of kit.

However since I got the Nexus 7 I haven't used it at all. I am now selling it as I don't see that I will use it and will usse the funds to buy a wifi hard drive and media streamer for the tv so sorting the to me minor missing parts from the nexus, after all root it and usb drives work as will as microsd with an adaptor over the OTG cable.

I have come to the opinion that except for when on the sofa the 10in form factor is too big and weidly also too small, if there was a really light eink colour device that did video and had a screen of say 14 plus inches I would buy one.....

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: £350?

Big_Ted,

Dont know if this is helpful, but:

The MiFi can take a 32GB micro SD card, and use it as network storage. Done via a web interface I think, so may cover your needs. If so it's a £50 Pay&Go modem, plus WiFi hard drive, all in one.

Sorry I can't test mine to see how it works and clarify, but I lent it to a friend, who made the mistake of paying TalkTalk for broadband, and so hasn't got any...

2. Steve Evans

Design...

"Externally Acer could have been a little more adventurous with the design. As it is the A510 looks very similar to the Tegra 2-based A500"

They probably decided to stick with that design as it is tried and tested... Any chance could risk in a letter from Apple informing them that they've accidentally used a corner curve with a patented radius or something!

3. Paul Webb
    Stop

No Nexus 10...

... but how about the just announced Galaxy Note 10.1?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No Nexus 10...

Galaxy Tab 10.1 is basically the same thing. Note is just Samsung for 'supports a stylus'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And what is wrong with using a stylus may one ask?

My Entourage dual book uses one to great advantage allowing me to annotate anything on the e-ink screen and pinpoint with exactly on the LCD screen.

1. the-it-slayer

A stylus is really 1990s and to be honest, tech has gone much further with touchscreen drivers have a pretty good idea where you're pointing the finger. Apart from scribbling unreadable virtual handwritten notes that pen and paper does better, then a stylus is effectively useless.

I know people will say; what about the Nintendo DS? Well, that's effectively a games console. It has its use on a tiny display where fingers are too big to point.

1. Return To Sender
            Alert

I struggle to understand why there's so much antipathy to a stylus these days. It's a tool just like anything else; it happens to make certain types of operations easier and/or more accurate, especially if you're blessed with (comparatively) chunky fingers. Watching my 17-year old subconciously switching between stylus and finger operation on his Note convinces me it's not a clunky way to work...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price

Pixmania are selling this for £299 (not the most reliable of retailers I admit) and that's not bad value for what you are getting.

5. a pressbutton
    Coat

the a500 has both a full size and a micro usb port and either will power a 2.5 in hdd over usb

other posters mention that ipads have no hdmi/usb/sd

i would miss an sd but the others i use almost never -i dont plug a tablet into a tv/monitor and the file manager stops you switching usb keys too often

6. Chezstar
    WTF?

Updates from Acer? Are you high?

"Acer has a decent reputation for rolling out updates, so I suspect Jelly Bean will bounce onto the A510 sooner rather than later, even though nothing has been officially announced at the time of writing."

Citation Needed....Acer are one of the WORST companies to roll out updates! A501 has only just been given ICS, and the one that Acer are rolling out is marked as a release candidate, so they are going to use their customers as cannon fodder for bug reporting. A500 ICS update was rolled out late, and again, caused problems with a significant proportion of users, so Acer had to pull that as well, and re-release much later on.

Not sure where you get your info from, but Acer are hopeless. Will be the last time I get an Acer tablet (Disgruntled A501 owner here).

So don't bank on JB for the A510 any time soon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like