back to article Disk demand after Thai floods drains away - unlike Seagate's coffers

Seagate may not have done as well as it had hoped to do in its latest quarter, which was down on the previous three months, but its $1bn earnings are still much, much better than a year ago. The disk drive dealer also defied industry speculation by failing to announce an OCZ acquisition. But it did say it could buy an SSD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

Why HDD sales _really_ fell.

Dear Seagate/WD,

Lower prices == more unit sales == more profiits

We've all been waiting for prices to drop since the flood happened.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: Why HDD sales _really_ fell.

Never actually been in business, have you?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Bill Neal
    Devil

...caused by "a particle contaminant coming from a supplier 3 levels down in the supply chain," and took some finding. The supplier was replaced.

That sounds like the best way do deal with the problem.

Now about those jacked up drive prices...

4. The Alpha Klutz

in a few years time only fascists will use hard discs

flash is the future

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: in a few years time only fascists will use hard discs

> in a few years time only fascists will use hard discs

>flash is the future

When they have a 10TB or even a 4TB flash drives on the market let us know...

1. localzuk Silver badge
        Trollface

Wait, there are 10TB Hard disks on the market??

2. John M. Drescher

I would expect hard drives to still be used years after NAND flash is replaced. Remember that flash has lower write endurance and lower retention period each time it is the nodes are shrunk and as a result this prevents flash from being a viable replacement for hard drives for video and other data sets that tend to be large.

5. unitron
    WTF?

So it's not the higher prices, then?

"It's all down to the economy and decelerating PC sales, says Seagate. ®"

Funny, I would have sworn that the reason I've been holding off is because they cost so much more than they did just before the flood.

In the cases where I can actually find non-AF drives, or AF drives known to work with XP and TiVos, that is.

The idea of having to pay more for a drive that will require also paying for new hardware and new OS'es all around is currently right out of the question.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like