back to article Samsung docs tease 11.8in, 2560 x 1600 tablet

Further products have been unveiled through the Samsung Apple legal spat, this time an upcoming 11.8in Samsung tablet with a 2560 x 1600 display. The South Korean firm is working on the tablet, codenamed P10, according to court documents which timestamp the product with a 2012 release date. The 11.8in fondleslab makes an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wowfood

wonder if

This could all secretly be a publicity stunt by the two firms as a way to 'leak' their roadmaps and other upcoming items during the court case.

Or if Apple is just bringing this stuff up as a way to flip the bird at samsung.

"Oh that tablet was meant to be a secret? Sorry for ruining your big unveiling plans"

1. ItsNotMe
      Devil

Re: wonder if

Don't know...but I personally am holding out for the 27" iPud. "Leaked" news of that is about to come out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2560 x 1600

It'll probably be 2568 x 1608 when released. By now Apple probably has exclusivity of the 2560 x 1600 resolution (as well as the numbers 2560 and 1600 (and their squares and sqaure roots)), preventing its use ever again by another device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Why?

The retina iPad is 2048 × 1536 and the retina Macbook Pro is 2880 x 1800.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2560 x 1600

So who released a product with that resolution first? (a clue, it wasn't Samsung).

Is it not good that a company drives improvements in technology? we'd probably all still be using blackberry style phones with noddy little screens and small qwerty keyboard were it not for the iPhone.

This is the problem, everyone gets stuck in a rut of producing the same old slightly improved crap until a ground-breaking product comes along or people stop buying a product.

Example: when people started buying diesel engined cars the big petrol engined designers went back to the drawing board and as a result you can now get small efficient petrol engines with the same amount of power as much larger engines.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>So who released a product with that resolution first? (a clue, it wasn't Samsung).

Sharp technically, although the smaller panels Apple use come with much further development and final manufacture by Samsung - with a little help from LG thrown in.

The name 'Retina Display' and sufficient customers to justify a production run is Apple's contribution. A significant one, but not really something that lives up to the innovation hot house crap we're currently enduring or which you seem to have bought wholesale.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"innovation hot house crap we're currently enduring or which you seem to have bought wholesale."

Yeah, right. Like an iFan is ever going to buy something wholesale. Part of the cachet of Apple products is showing off how much you like throwing money around.

2. Rampant Spaniel

That simply isn't correct. There was nothing novel about any part of the original iphone. Infact it lacked many features present in contemporary phones (cut and paste, tethering). However, what it did, it did very well. Apple had control of the hardware, the software and the ecosystem around it. There were phones with larger and higher res screens, there were 'candybar' phones without keyboards, apple didn't and to a large doesn't invent, it refines and controls (no bad thing).

Barring its recent retina rampage (which I welcome and is long overdue) apples main concern has been moving thinner and lighter and the consumerisation of the hardware.

As for 2560x1600 screens, they have been around for years, even dell sells them. You can buy 4k res screens, if apple were such a revolutionary company wouldn't their 27 inch desktops have 4k screens?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't that be...

A 2560 x 1600 x 2540 x 1600 display?

As Apple has been successfully in patenting the rectangular tablet form in the US, Samsungs only option was the trapezoid tablet.....

I'll get my coat

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shouldn't that be...

Samsung's 10.1N design was already deemed sufficiently distinctive

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

At that size ...

... it might even be worth getting a tablet. I wonder if they'd do a version with a proper fold-out keyboard and Windows - that would be the ultimate.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: At that size ...

Nice astroturf surface on your post there.....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: At that size ...

They do it's called a laptop

5. Nick Ryan Silver badge

So this is where all the good res screens have gone. A few years ago laptops were heading to this kind of resolution and then along came widescreen laptops and netbooks and suddenly we were lucky to get anything much better than 700 vertical pixels.

1. EvilGav 1
      Unhappy

Sod laptops or tablets, where are the desktop screens? Normally you start with a big screen and high resolution and gradually shrink it - affordable desktop monitors are 1080p (horrible shape for a monitor) or 1920x1200, anything above that moves into the silly money category.

If you can make what amounts to a complete micro-PC for ~£500, with a resolution of 2500x1600 @ 11" or thereabouts, then I should be able to buy a 24" monitor of the same resolution for around half the price (it's cheaper when it's not small).

1. Mark 65

Perhaps prices/sizes are the way they are as everyone is trying to fab the tablet and laptop parts because they're higher demand thus leaving precious little capacity for higher resolution desktop screens. Therefore companies just chuck out any old shit because they're too busy making big dollars elsewhere.

2. James 47

I picked up a 27" DMG monitor that supports 2560x1440 for £330 inc VAT and delivery.

1. James 47

Sorry, DGM

2. Richie 1
      Pint

@Nick Ryan

The Air/Ultrabook/Ultrathin laptops have less pixels because it means that they can get away with a smaller and lighter graphics card.

<- Beer, because I'm drinking to a future where we get thin and light laptops with a decent screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Nick Ryan

"have less pixels"

FEWER !!!!

6. Dave 126 Silver badge

Wacom...

If Samsung can dial up the resolution of the digitiser, it might end up competing with some of Wacom's pricey products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wacom...

Doubt it. The reason Wacom devices are so good is because of the 2000-odd levels of pressure sensitivity, stylus angle detection, assignable controls so you can work without a keyboard, tablet surface not registering hand contacts, etc. If you don't need any of that you can already buy a regular touchscreen that will do the job for far, far less than you would pay for an Intuos.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Wacom...

Sorry Cintiq I meant, not Intuos

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

@Dave 126

You do know thst the stylus system in the Samsung Galaxy Note is actually from Wacom, don't you?

I'm actually hoping that this beast is the Note tablet (although the early prototypes were 10") I was very disappointed when I heard that the 10" version would only have the same resolution as the 5" Note.

7. peter 45
    Trollface

Next lawsuit

This sounds like the Retina Display (TM) (Patent) (C) that Apple INVENTED .

(that it buys the display from Samsung is a fact to be decided in a Court of Law when Apple gets to vigorously defend its valuable IP rights from those out to steal its years of hard work and investment. )

1. Shagbag

Re: Next lawsuit

Samsung won't call it 'Retina'. They'll call it something like RE-10A. Just to piss Apple.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung only makes the display on the iPad. Both the iPhone and Macbook retina displays are made by LG.

Have you heard of contract manufacturing?

1. Dazed and Confused

> Have you heard of contract manufacturing?

Apple's world renowned display technologies labs being well known for their development of cutting edge display systems.

or

Have you ever heard of shopping around

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

> Apple's world renowned display technologies labs being well known for their development of cutting edge display systems.

I think you're not aware of the work done by Dr John Zhong, awarded Fellow of the Society for Information Display in 2009, among others who work at ... you guessed it: Apple.

Have a look at his profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnzhong

Steve Hotelling is another name to look for.

8. chipxtreme

I'd much rather have a laptop with that resolution than a tablet, but as it stands you've got to search hard just to get a 1080p laptop of which should be a minimum requirement.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: 1080p laptops

> but as it stands you've got to search hard just to get a 1080p laptop of which should be a minimum requirement.

getting 1080 laptops isn't too bad, but try getting a c2003 spec 1920x1200 laptop. Laptop screens are in fast retreat mode, why can't we get decent screens for these devices too.

Please Samsung, can we have a nice 17" 2560x1600 (or better) i7 laptop with one of your nice SSDs.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: 1080p laptops

17 inch, 4k res laptop with an OS that can properly scale menus etc for that dpi. I can dream :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds good but...

... I wish it comes with Windows 8 so you can do some actual work on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds good but...

Again astroturfing. You see, when I got my Asus Transformer + keyboard last summer, I hoped that I wouldn't need a laptop anymore and can do all presentations and spreadsheets from the Transformer. I couldn't, the keyboard and the software were not good enough. I was a bit disappointed. In the meantime though, I learned what are the strong points of the Android tablet. I still use a laptop at work.

Now, about my next purchase. Is it going to be the Surface, the one tablet that does work + play? Nope. It is going to be another Android tablet. Either this or the Transformer Infinity, or something with similar specs. I would love a 12" screen on a tablet. Why not a Windows tablet? Because Windows 7 is terrible on such a small screen and I think Surface is going to be too expensive compared with the Android tablets.

I work with touchscreens and I know that Windows, from XP to 7, is usable on a touchscreen monitor that is at least 19". On a 17" or smaller I find that I have too many false touches (I touch the button next to the one I intend).

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        Joke

"(I touch the button next to the one I intend)."

That's why Windows 8 has Metro. The screen has a resolution of 320 x 240 and only fits 4 buttons so you don't have this problem :)

(I'm just trying to make up for the alleged astroturfing)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I am the same AC that has posted Tuesday 31st July 2012 16:33 GMT.

Metro would have been great 3 years ago. Today it's very (too?) late. The apps that I use for work have the same problems on Windows 8: small buttons, menus optimized for mouse and so on. The experience would be the same as on my Android tablet. If there's a Metro version of Office, then I may invest in a Surface or Windows 8 tablet, if it's no more than $800.

Price is very important for me. The Android tablets I am looking at are around $600. I don't see why I should pay more for a Windows 8 tablet, which has no (native) apps, and really no other advantage against an Android one. I may even look at an iPad 3 before paying more for Surface. I would at least get a mature technology, same with Android, for less money.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like