back to article More reports that Apple plans iPhone 5 September surprise

With another report naming September as the likely release date of the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, it now looks likely that Apple may be planning an earlier-than-normal release for its latest iOS kit. Chinese sources identified the September launch date last month, and now "sources who have proven accurate in the past" tell iMore …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl
    Holmes

"sources who have proven accurate in the past"

It was just yesterday that I said to my wife "Hmmm, looks like it's going to rain." and IT DID.

Does this mean I can now get quoted in articles when I pull a launch date for some new product out of my ass?

1. Markl2011
      Coat

Re: "sources who have proven accurate in the past"

I'm sure El Reg. would quote you. They've quoted everyone else

2. Richard Plinston

> some new product out of my ass?

I don't think that I would want any products out of you ass?, or even mine.

1. 404
        Pirate

I understand the Samsung Juke 'feature' phone is popular with the inmate populations - small and easy to hide - just saying...

Disclaimer: I don't know why I know this, was mentioned/read somewhere.

3. Neil Greatorex

Hmmmmm

How many Olympic Sized Swimming pools did the rain fill?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pre order page

Due in the next few weeks.

5. Steve Evans

I've just checked with a reliable source, and they have confirmed rumours that the media will print any rumour that contains the word Apple.

I would have hoped somewhere outside of the tabloids might be a little less prone to hype and rumour, but it appears not.

Can anyone recommend a true facts only tech site, or should I start writing my own meta-site?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim Cooks seven incher...

There will be a 7 inch iPad mini for the simple fact that Apple are running out of ideas and it's one obvious area they aren't in.

For the last two years we've had leaks, rumours and whispers about 'revolutionary new magical innovative products' but it's always the same old jazz. New phone, new tablet rinse and repeat

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tim Cooks seven incher...

You must be one of those that bought an Android tablet. I can just feel the heat of your jealousy at seeing others with an iPad, and the disappointment that comes with buying something inferior.

It'll take time to get over it.

1. Chet Mannly

"You must be one of those that bought an Android tablet. I can just feel the heat of your jealousy"

Yeah, so jealous of you locked in a closed apple ecosystem, with that glorious ui that consists of a bunch of icons - widgets and customisation are such tiresome things.

Buckets of sarcasm obviously, but I think that comment is as equally ridiculous as the Apple troll above.

Choice is a good thing, and different devices and operating systems suit different uses, no need to slag off at others because their needs are fulfilled by a device with a different logo.

I for one wouldn't consider the current ipad for the daily commute based on sheer size and weight alone, so a smaller one might tempt me. Does seem a while since Apple produced something so radically different you'd call it revolutionary though.

1. LarsG
          Headmaster

@ Chet Mannly

'Does seem a while since Apple produced something so radically different you'd call it revolutionary though.'

You may have a point, but while Apple have produced the definitive tablet all other manufacturers have tried to play catch up and none have surpassed the perfectionism of the iPad. This is not my opinion but the opinion of 100% of every review ever written.

While they may have lost a little ground with the IPhone since the introduction of some newer models from Samsung and HTC they still hold the crown for usability. However having lost ground does not make the iPhone worse than the opposition, it has just made the playing field more level. The introduction of the new iPhone and OS6 might change that. It might even make the old iPhone a better buy just on the update alone, something that Android updates if you can get them have never managed as they rely on better hardware to boost their standing.

I don't know what you think a more radical design should be? Do you have any ideas?

1. Steve Knox
            Headmaster

This is not my opinion but the opinion of 100% of every review ever written.

When you say demonstrably false things like that, you really should not use the icon that you used.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You must be one of those that bought an Android tablet. I can just feel the heat of your jealousy at seeing others with an iPad, and the disappointment that comes with buying something inferior.

It'll take time to get over it.

Actually no I don't own an Android tablet or any tablet for that matter. My iPhone does everything I need and for anything a bit more heavy duty I have my netbook....

1. Heimdallr

I have an Asus transformer prime, it's a tablet and netbook all in one, I'm struggling to find how its inferior to an ipad. Perhaps it's the micro sd card giving me a combined 100Gb storage, or the fact that I can customise my keyboard and just about anything else I care to customise. Seriously give me one thing that the ipad is better at, just one becuase unless you are a fecking moron the UI on the android is actually far superior to Apple.

3. Jedit Silver badge
        Angel

"I can just feel the heat of your jealousy at seeing others with an iPad"

No, that's just your iPad battery overheating.

2. Rafael 1

Hi Barry.

And people still buy those -- do you have any explanation besides "they're sheeple and only I know what's better for them"?

3. Furbian
    Meh

Probably not too little, but definitly too late.

Samsung introduced, and then made larger the 'plus' sized phone a desirable item, which has sold very well, and made others follow suite (mine's the Sony Xperia S 4.3" screen by the way). I personally know a number of iPhone users who were so disappointed with the 4S not having a larger screen, they jumped over to Android phones (various brands mainly Motorola and HTC), because of their screen size and price, despite having had iPhones for years. I don't see them switching back any time soon.

Personally I can't imagine how anyone could use a Galaxy S3 easily on the move, never mind a Galaxy Tab, but I've met people who are quite happy with their purchase, even two chaps who use a Tab as a phone.

Then again the iPhone '5' maybe revolutionary and not evolutionary, and may turns heads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Probably not too little, but definitly too late.

Personally, it was the large size of phones and the ICS update that I got for my unbranded HTC Sensation that sent me over to the dark side.

The smaller screen of the iPhone did take a bit of getting used to. I also need to use a case on the phone that protects it from being dropped. This adds even more size to the phone to the point that it stops being easy to carry in a trouser pocket.

There is a point when a phone becomes too big and I think that has now been reached.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The next announcement will be about a new batch of "revolutionary" patents

since Apple have decided to focus all their attention on the patent trolling business.

5. Nanners
    Mushroom

Chinese are the problem

If I were apple, I would track down the leaks and fire thier employers ... Even Foxconn ... Immediately. I don't care where these leaks are coming from. Get rid of the companies they work for ASAP.

1. Shagbag

Misinformation is the problem

El Reg tries hard to break new stories but, like others, it gets trapped by the rumour mill and sometimes it's stories are just plain wrong.

6. Jyve

Branding

I still maintain it'll be an iPod Max, instead of an iPad Mini.

Lets them keep the same price for the iPads, and sell the iPods a /bit/ cheaper to the 7" market.

1. alphaxion

Re: Branding

I was wondering whether a 7" fondle device would be less a shrunk ipad and more an engorged ipod touch.

The ipod touch certainly has fallen between the cracks of the ipad and the iphone.

1. Doogie1
        Coat

If it's between the iPad and iPod surely it will be called the iPed or iPid.

1. Paul_Murphy

That just leaves the iPud as the only other unused vowel (I will ignore the iPyd option) which I'm sure will hit the streets at the most opportune moment.

I wonder if Apples' next move will be to drop the 'i' prefix and re-imagine their products with some other prefix - ePhone anyone? or maybe uPhone (tm-pending) would be a better bet?

ttfn

1. Steve Knox
            Coat

I do hear there's a Welsh version coming out called the iPwd.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

I wonder how much Samsung HW will be inside the next iPhone?

I am predicting "way less" than the current Apple offerings.

Dweeb

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iBelieve

My source "Micky the Sticky", who is a stick insect living in a tree next to a big window at the foxconn factory said he can see top secret schematics for an iPhone 6 due for production in November 2013.

Therefore it's true.

9. GeorgeTuk

I just don't care

About iPhone 5.

Any new Android handset.

Windows Phone 8 handsets.

There is so little difference in the marketplace its all just rubbish hype by over excited geeks. Yes the iPhone did shake up the market but now everyone has caught up its just the same.

10. Confuciousmobil
    Facepalm

Steve Jobs..

Also pointed out why a larger screen is wrong for the iPhone. Apple Sen to be losing their way since his demise - or maybe it's just the rumourmongers that have.

We'll have to see if they do actually release devices that Mr. Jobs knew we're wrong.

1. lurker

Re: Steve Jobs..

Contrary to popular opinion, Mr. Jobs was very far from infallible.

2. durbster
      Happy

Re: Steve Jobs..

Depends which product he happened to be flogging at the time. If he was answering a question about the iPad then of course you can't have iOS running on a smaller screen, it'd be too fiddly. If he was answering a question about the iPhone then of course you can't have iOS running on a bigger screen, it wouldn't fit in people's pockets and they wouldn't be able to use it one handed.

11. dsmalle

Sandpaper

If Google has some sense of humour, they'll send a stack of sandpaper to Cupertino.

12. Mike Judge
    Stop

Fragmentation

WOW, look at that Apple fragmentation go.

Apple developers now have to recompile everything to cater for smaller iPads too.

Of course, if coded properly, Android automatically works on everything....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fragmentation

I bet Steve Jobs is chuckling in his grave at how wound up the fandroids still get about his fragmentation comment

13. El Presidente

45 RPM ?

Hahahahahah .. Oh Wow!

14. Sp0ck

I doubt very much that they will have to recompile anything for the ipad mini. It would not surprise me if it had the same resolution as the ipad2.

The New iPhone can't have too big a screen otherwise they would lose the ability to call it retina. But then again retina was supposed to be 300ppi which the ipad 3 and rMBp are not.

Anything over 3.9" on the iphone 5 with the current resolution means it won't be over the 300ppi threshold.

Unless of course they are gonna do a 4.5" phone with a 1920x1280 screen.

1. Kebablog

'But then again retina was supposed to be 300ppi which the ipad 3 and rMBp are not.'

Retina is just a marketing term, backed up with a bit of maths (pixel density and viewing distance). The iPad and Retina Macbook Pro are used further away from the eye so still are classed as retina devices.

15. Andy Fletcher

Wait...

people are buying less products, because speculation that a newer better one is just around the corner, so Apple are shortening the cycle to combat this? Priceless.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll be a bigger iPod

Not a smaller iPad. That's my guess.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lawsuits aplenty

Samsung must be quaking (yep, that's not quacking...) right now as how long will it be before the Apple team set about claiming that they developed the 7" tablets and that everyone else has copied them? Hell, it's about time they claimed they invented Samsung :)

18. mrfill
    Happy

Radical new design

sources described as 'dubious' claim the iPhone 5 will be triangular with rounded corners. (Patent for sale here)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like