back to article Netflix punters told of privacy change, get 3 months to object

Netflix is alerting customers to changes in its privacy policy under a proposed legal settlement that would put an end to a class action suit launched against the company last year. The company is changing its policy so that it is no longer possible to identify the video "histories" of customers who haven’t subscribed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

$9 million seems pretty cheap to close this down but then I remembered what's happened to companies in the UK that have pulled similar stunts.

2. Just Saying 132

Lemme see if I got this right ...

The offended parties receive $0.00 while the lawyers receive $2,250,000.00.

1. WatAWorld

Re: Lemme see if I got this right ...

It is worse than that.

Of the $6.65m being sent to nonprofit privacy organisations, much will be spent on legal fees to outside lawyers and on salaries for the lawyer directors and staff lawyers employed by those nonprofit privacy organisations.

So potentially almost all of the $9m will end up in the pockets of lawyers.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Lemme see if I got this right ...

Exactly, netflix makes and error and their users end up (indirectly) paying a huge pile of cash to some vile leaches and some random non profit. How the hell is that justice? I didn't do anything wrong so why should the fees I pay netflix for their service go elsewhere.

3. JustNiz

We had our privacy violated and get nothing? not even a sorry and a token free rental? and the lawyers get 2.25 mill and some random other org (probably also started by the lawyers) gets 6.65 mill?.

Way to go, judge.

4. WatAWorld
    Devil

So the lawyers receive all the money?

So the lawyers potentially receive all the money, either immediately or through future work for nonprofit privacy organisations,

5. ukgnome
    Devil

Hang on

When i use netflix it asks if I want to share the data on farcebook - if I click don't share it doesn't, right?

And besides, my friends and some of my stalkers know the stuff I like, is it really a surprise that my list contains spider man, iron man, misfits and naked nuns with guns?

6. Terry Cloth
    WTF?

``customers who haven’t subscribed to Netflix for 12 months or longer''

OK, are we talking about

a) people whose subscriptions expired over a year ago,

b) people whose subscriptions were in effect for less than a year, or

c) some other group entirely?

English is a wonderful language. Please use it carefully.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like