back to article Google snaps bird's eye view of Olympic Village

Twitter fanatics and texting-obsessed supporters of Team GB may have hampered the GPS units of competitors taking part in the Men’s Olympic Cycling Road Race on Saturday, but no bother as Google has added a pretty picture of the London 2012 village to its Maps service. The search and ad giant updated its high resolution aerial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. My Alter Ego
    Mushroom

Luckily no Olympic rings visible

The IOC would be salivating at the idea of getting a payout from Google.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Luckily no Olympic rings visible

They have the Olympic rings visible on the side of the swimming pool (sorry "Aquatics Centre").

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

45 degree views

Nice, but the shallow angle stuff looks much better on multimap / bing maps.

1. spencer

Re: 45 degree views

Agree, this article might have made some sort comment about how this stuff is already available on rival maps services.

I know theReg isn't the BBC, but still....

2. Spearchucker Jones

Re: 45 degree views

Have yet to see anything match 3D from http://maps.nokia.com.

3. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"May this year"

Dammit, I was looking forward to finding out how the Googleplane did against a salvo of Starstreaks. At this stage it's about the only thing that's likely to make the Olympics interesting to me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aiding terrorists?

by providing them with high resolution imagery suitable for targetting? Or confirmation of security theatre?

5. Hieronymus Howerd
    Headmaster

Village?

Is that not the Olympic Park as a whole rather than the Village?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No worry about losing that picture..

As long as it has been done with Streetview, Google won't erase it.

Not even when ordered by Court ..

7. Craig 12

I was thrown off with the 45 degree stuff when looking at Birmingham yesterday. It seems to kick in at a certain zoom. Completely pointless for trying to point out directions, as the orientation was off (compared to the top down) and the buildings obscured the streets.

Sure, it's pretty to look at, but let's not remember what maps are actually for!

1. ratfox

You can turn it off

You can uncheck the option in the drop-down menu, top right of the map.

8. ducatis'r us

anyone know how long.....

....it takes Google to upload new data? I ask because the Google car was all over my neighbourhood about 4 weeks ago. I have set a point of interest alert in Google but if anyone has any info....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ceremony staging in place

If you zoom into the stadium you can see the temporary staging used for the opening / closing ceremonies. You can see the big centre lift and what I presume are the slots for the steam engine flywheels and chimneys.

10. Techs UK
    Meh

Google earth plug-in required? (Bing user)

Do i need the 'google earth' plug in to see this? i just get aerial photo's/maps

45 degree is grey'd out.

Bing has this already though, yeah?

11. stdunbar

Correction - Google purchases new picture of Olympic Village

DigitalGlobe / GeoEye or somebody else snapped the picture and then Google uploaded it. Google doesn't run any satellites (as far as you know).

12. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

dum, dum, dum dum, dum, dumdumdum...

I can't tell if I'm looking at Google Earth or the EastEnders title sequence.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like