back to article Samsung plonks universal search BACK into Galaxy S IIIs

Samsung today conceded it was wrong to remove the universal search function from Galaxy S III phones in its latest software update - and has promised punters in the UK another firmware patch will restore the functionality. “The most recent software upgrade for the Galaxy S III in the UK included the inadvertent removal of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. taxman

.....in, out, in, out, shake it all about....

1. JetSetJim

or...

a ploy to let Apple know it's not banned yet and to let the unlockers get a bit more of a hint as to how to work around any prospective ban?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: or...

Amusingly, yesterday, there were instructions for re-enabling it anyway.. The rooters are pretty damn quick off the mark :)

(Love my rooted s3, best phone I have had)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Promise?

Promise to put it back

Promise upgrade to ICS

Promise update to Gingerbread

Promise promise promise promise

Ha ha ha.

1. Chet Mannly

Re: Promise?

"Promise upgrade to ICS

Promise update to Gingerbread"

I had a Froyo Galaxy S which Samsung upgraded to Gingerbread, and now an SII which shipped with Gingerbread which has been upgraded to ICS, so I'm not sure what your point is...

Samsung have actually been pretty good with OS upgrades in recent experience

2. Gary 24
    Thumb Down

Fail

So because Samsung f**k up, naturally it's Apple's fault? 'cause Korean's never copy anything do that? *cough* cars

1. Big_Ted
      IT Angle

Re: Fail

So in the perfect world they would be walking everywhere barefoot as cars, carts, shoes etc are used elsewhere ?

And what was copied ? a box with 4 wheels ?

1. Gary 24

No..... morning statements aside.. look at any of the Kia's / Hyundai's and see how much they look like a mixture of the popular German car's

1. K
          Coat

Or how German cars look like French cars, or French cars look like American cars..

Get a grip! ... or is that to similar to holding on?

1. g e
            Joke

Actually to be fair to the American cars they do look different.

Not in a good way, mind you.

1. kirovs
              Happy

I guess you have never seen Ford Focus. Oh, wait, it was designed in Gemany.... never mind....

2. g e
          Facepalm

LOL, Have you seen how similar VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes look, especially from the back?

The Koreans probably think it's a European fashion thing.

3. Dr. Mouse

Oh, and look at that! The table I can get from Ikea looks remarkably like the ones manufactured here in the UK! It has 4 legs and a flat surface on top of them!!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

yeah but your british tables are not as cool as the ikea ones....

1. Natalie Gritpants

Round tables are TM King Arthur. The patent expired a while ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Do the British table manufacturers have to say they're not as cool on their websites?

3. Anonymous Coward
              Flame

yeah but your british tables are not as cool as the ikea ones....

Only if you really like cheap fibre board. However, unlike Ikea tat a British table can withstand someone sneezing near it without collapsing.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Well MFI was a British company, and their tables couldn't withstand people looking at them never mind sneezing near them.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Car's"? Really?

Fail fail.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Gary, your illiteracy is showing, cars is not car's. It would be better if you simply stopped using ' altogether, you would make fewer mistake's. I's there an app for that?

2. King Jack
      Facepalm

Call the police!! I looked at my watch, then realized it copied Big Ben. Well it's got 2 hands and markings cleverly disguised so as to be not roman numerals.

Clocks tell the time, cars carry people, smartphones search, tv's have screens to fit to current content. Used to be 4:3 now 16:9. They are all copying. It has to stop.

3. Rob
      Go

That's because the western car manufacturers pretty much all traded some design techniques with the Far East in exchange for some engine technology way back. I can't recall exactly but I think it was Rover and Honda that inked the first deal which led Honda to have similar chassis design's to Rover's. In return Rover was then able to develop the K Series engine which was in all of it's models for a number of years.

Although nowadays chassis design is not really considered a commodity because when you have a bunch of designers and a wind tunnel, the choices that come out will be pretty similar no matter where you are in the world. Car manufacturers then rely on technology in the car, offers/deals and marketing to compete with each other and differentiate their products that way.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Er, rather more than similar. Your Honda Concerto or Legend at the time came with a badge on the slam panel that said "Made in Longbridge by Austin-Rover". They were the same car as the Rover 200 and 800, off the same production line, only the trim differed.

The engines were the same too and Rover's continued to buy in Honda engines for some time after the partnership broke up due to their being purchased by BMW, who Honda perceived as a key competitor. That BMW purchase is what destroyed Rovers, as they were overnight deprived of their next generation of mid-range (1.6 - 2.7 litres) engines. BMW's engines were all in-line units and unsuited to use in the transverse engined Rover vehicles without major and expensive modification. A marriage made in hell.

The "K" series was an in-house project and the only tech brought in was the Variable Valve Control system from Associated Pistons (which still ranks as the best variable induction timing system ever made by anyone in my book). As the technology of the "K" series differs radically from anything Honda ever produced I doubt they had too much of a hand in it. For a start, they'd have spotted that the coolant capacity of the head design was inadequate and avoided the legendary head gasket issues. This latter was compounded by the sudden need to take an engine orginally designed to top out at 1.4 litres in a four pot and bore it to 1.6 and 1.6 versions, courtesy of the planned Honda engines being unavailable. The engines so built proved hideously unreliable. The money that should have gone towards sorting the problems of the "K" series four-pot got allocated to building the KV6 engine for the 75 project which, despite its name, has little in common with the "K" and is a rather good unit.

By that time the rot had really started to set in. BMW ditched the company, the planned KV8 engine for the mooted return of the Rover 3500 V8 never materialised. Market pressure required a cheaper, 4 cylinder engine in the 75, yet no money existed to make one. This resulted in the suicidally stupid decision to blow the "K" series, despite its already well-known propensity for blowing up when normally aspirated.

The rest is, as they say, history.

1. Rob
          Thumb Up

Thanks for filling in the gaps TeeCee, I did always wonder why the K Series had the head gasket problem when I thought it was far east technology, which at the time was fairly bullet proof. Was too lazy or forgot to look up the history (probably because I was concentrating on the smoke pouring out of my exhaust cause the head gasket had gone).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Symbian/Nokia in device search?

Nokia phones had universal in device search way before iPhone was introduced, so I suppose this was too hasty move by Samsung, if they feared patent royalties to be imposed to Apple due this implementation.

1. Big_Ted

Re: Symbian/Nokia in device search?

But its not in device search, its in device, in app and on the WWW

4. ukgnome

Erm -

My cm9 has this function - losing it from a factory ROM is not a big deal.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully they'll fix this too!

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/07/android-nokia-smartphone-hack/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: "Hopefully they'll fix this too!"

Hmm, when I looked on my S3, NFC was totally disabled anyway. That said, it could have been my innate skepticism, I tend to evaluate new toys, and go through and disable things I don't need, only re-enabling them if it turns out that they are useful after all...

6. The Envoy
    IT Angle

So... a couple of days ago my Samsung GS2 and I got a message saying a software update was available. But trying to download it I immediately got a message saying no update was available.

Today the same thing.

Must've been this out and in thing, yes?

7. DEAD4EVER

Samsung restores search

so after disabling the search function Samsung decides to restore it just because of a spat with apple, Samsung do me a favour take apple to the cleaners Steve jobs is not around to save apple now. everything was fine in the mobile market way before apple turned up now when apple shows up there way to solving competition is throw patents at Comapnys just cause they cant hand the competition grow up apple.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But why?

I don't see the point of a search function that searches both your device and the internet. If its on my device, it probably shouldn't be available to everyone on the net. And why would I want a whole pile of irrelevant hits?

9. cs94njw
    WTF?

Huh? There was a software update for the S3? Didn't see it here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like