back to article Samsung snubs slump, slurps stunning smartmobe sales

Strong smartphone sales banked Samsung a $4.56bn profit in the three months to 30 June, according to its latest bean counting exercise. The South Korean giant posted a 48 per cent year-on-year rise in net income in preliminary results announced last night [PDF]. Despite the economic chill that has seen even Apple's growth hit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even Samsung may be losing money on TVs

Hard to tell with these broad-brush high level accounts but the profit in the CE section (including finished TVs probably making the bulk of this) is quite small as is the profit in the DP (display panels section) and you would expect a good margin on the growing tablet section especially the retina panels which may be hiding a loss in the TV panels business.

Even if not loss making it at least shows that there isn't much profit in being the biggest global TV manufacturer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Suitcase and man bag sales up by 300%, how else do you carry these new smart phones.

1. auburnman

You obviously haven't seen the S3. My pal got one just recently, and comparing side by side with my HTC and another friends iPhone it is significantly thinner and lighter than either. I am well jealous, and I think Apple are too...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>Even if not loss making it at least shows that there isn't much profit in being the biggest global TV manufacturer.

They out source a lot of that manufacture to AUO etc so there are more fingers in the pie than just Samsung's. ...and likewise every iPhone or iPad sale is money in the bank to Samsung. I wouldn't bet against them and its pretty clear how Apple see them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

The way Apple sees it...

The way Apple sees it, there's only one way anybody can be doing better than the collective iTrash and that is through copying the iTrash, that's why Apple is trying to ban Samsung from being allowed to exist; they must be copying, that's the only reasonable explanation for this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple fans chiming in with the tired old "They never SOLD any phones, they just SHIPPED them!!!" in 3.... 2.... 1....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem for Samsung is there are LOT of Android phones - only Apple make iPhones. When you want a new Android phone you could go with HTC, Motorola or Samsung = little loyalty.

1. fandom

That may be a problem for Samsung but it is great for us.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It does however create the problem of differing UIs. You might like the UI that Samsung offers but the hardware that HTC has. This is how they try to keep customers.

So you have about three OEMs writing software which it proprietary and unique to them and duplicating effort. It hardly seems like the open source dream where everyone gets together and contributes for the greater good.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Based on the sales figures of Samsung vs everyone else, right now that would appear to be more a problem for everyone who's not Samsung.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like