back to article Logitech clings onto cost-cutting axe as sales, profit sail away

Losses widened at PC peripherals kingpin Logitech as OEM sales sank and restructuring charges kicked in. The company posted an operating loss of $59m (£38m) for fiscal Q1 2013, ended 30 June. This included a one-off charge of $34m in part to pay for redundancies. The same quarter a year ago recorded a $45m operating loss. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much does Google TV cost?

About 450 people, I would say...

Also, maybe when they start making a bluetooth mouse with more than two buttons, I'll consider buying one.

2. Sarah Davis
    Coat

suicide can be an option

they used to make full featured keyboards, and sold loads, then they got rid of the useful features, and sold less. Not sure id firing loyal staff is actually going to increase sales - but hey, if they can't figure the obvious,..!

3. calagan
    Thumb Down

Blame Google TV

The complete failure of Google TV won't hurt Google that much, but Logitech and others who invest so much in it might not survive it.

4. Johan Bastiaansen
    FAIL

They have lost their way

I'm hanging on to my Alto Cordless notebookstand, because there really is no alternative on the market today.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Squeezeboxes

... A damn neat way to wirelessly unite PC and hifi, and an economical way to distribute that music around the house. Popular, I think, because its buyers love it, rather than because Logitech does much to market it.

Hoping it's not threatened.

1. Richard Boyce
      Thumb Down

Re: Squeezeboxes

Logitech bought a deservedly-popular system, but they now threatens its survival.

Recent software changes accompanying the Revue disaster mean that the software's indexing system is now fatally inefficient, at least on my system, with no means to disable it, so I've had to stick with the older server software that works. There have been numerous other new faults.

That's nothing that can't be put right by the open-source community that originally created the software, but I suspect Logitech will need to sell the platform to someone else before that happens. The sooner, the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Squeezeboxes

My duet is seldom used, good though it is, although I've been chuffed to find how easy it is to control from my new Android phone. It was the community that made stuff like the Duet earphone socket work, not Logitech. Strange, really.

Let us hope that the product line does get sold off (not just chopped) to someone who will develop and market it properly. Slim Devices resurrection?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

PS: Revue disaster?

I'm out of touch. Do you have a link where I can find out about this, please?

6. wayward4now
    Flame

If they didn't build CRAP!!

I promised that I would bitch about them at every opportunity. But they refused to fix the damn headphones I bought when a hair-fine piece of wiring in the headset parted. I couldn't beleive how shoddy they wired it. I couldn't even take a soldering gun to it, as it was like Xmas tree tinsel. So I bitched and found others had the exact same problem and these USB headphones weren't cheap. I bought a USB Logitech mouse and finally put an end to it's sufffering, and mine, with a blunt object. I know I felt better.

I will never again buy anything with Logitech on it again. And they used to make darn good kit back in the day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: put an end to it's sufffering

No need: Logitech [optical] mice die of their own accord in a year or so anyway.

Mice used to have balls... and they were more reliable and long-lived, as long as one dug out the hair and dust regularly, when they did. Maybe it was something to do with the hormones.

I'm at a loss. I refuse to have the word Mi.....ft on my desk, and I just don't know what else to buy for a basic mouse with 4-way scroll wheel and flawless Linux operation. Just go on buying one a year, I suppose.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like