back to article Cops shutter net cafes to save Beijing's youth

Beijing police have announced yet another ‘clean-up’ of the web, this time closing hundreds of internet cafes and arresting thousands in the name of protecting the Chinese capital’s vulnerable youth. Fu Zhenghua, who heads up the city’s Public Security Bureau, said that just over 5,000 people had been arrested and the owners …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Facepalm

Something that we can look forward to in the future, a Government that thinks it knows what's best for us.

Oh we're already there.

1. Bumpy Cat
      FAIL

Indeed

I was just saying that I think we should be a republic, and that all three big parties are useless, and I was arrested! Oh no, actually, I wasn't.

Sure some things are bad here in the UK (Zil lanes!), but to seriously compare us to China makes you look like a soft-headed student radical.

2. Armando 123

Every revolution that results in freedom for individuals is slowly eroded by expansion of government powers, generally "for your own good", until another revolution is needed to retake those individual rights from the government rogues who slowly stole them in the first place.

2. dotdavid
    Meh

"it’s interesting to see the reason given this time is protecting “the physical and mental health of young people”."

The reason doesn't matter - it could be "to show greater understanding for the perils of too much EM radiation" for all the difference it makes. The joys of having an autocratic government.

Still, at least they don't have Zil lanes and are allowed to use the word Olympics in the net cafes that survive, eh? ;-)

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Big Brother

Did they not have Olympic lanes four years ago then? I thought all hosting cities needed to have them these days and I am sure they must have had laws against saying "The Olympic Games" on penalty of ten years hard labour in a poundshop product supply factory.

I think London should be twinned with Beijing as they have so much in common, including air pollution!

1. Chris Sake
        Coat

No Zil lanes in China

There was no need to do so for the Beijing Olympics, even though they had them.

Primus, bulldoze houses and other buildings to create new or wider roads.

Secundus, implement a plan banning private vehicles with even-numbered licence plates on alternate days to those with odd-numbered licence plates. This reduced the traffic in Beijing by over 1.6 million cars a day (as well as carbon dioxide emissions).

Tertius, invoke civic pride in the citizens who voluntarily reduced their car journeys, and heroically crammed into buses and the Subway trains.

Result, profit. Clear roads, and blue skies.

Oddly, private vehicles with even-numbered licence plates were banned on days with odd numbers in the calendar; and vice versa for those with odd-numbered plates.

The National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, USA, estimated that this reduction in traffic had a corresponding reduction of carbon dioxide emissions of between 24,000 and 96,000 tonnes.

London, of course, will be different; it will just engage in false flag operations, I would imagine. Oh, wait - it already has had a hoisting problem...

* Icon as I am looking for my 红领巾 red scarf.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I commend the PRC CONTROL PARTY

...for not once using the word "terrorism" when telling its customers what to do.

4. thomas k.
    Big Brother

Not very different, then ...

"As usual, the definitions of what constitutes an ‘attack’ are left suitably vague so that police can in reality arrest whomever they suspect of being a trouble-maker."

Not very different, then, from our democracies where our more precisely worded laws can be twisted (or ignored, even) to achieve the same end.

5. ravenviz Silver badge
    Facepalm

Definitions of what constitutes [insert anything credible here] are left suitably vague so that police can in reality arrest whomever they suspect of being a trouble-maker.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many yoof...

...have demonstrated their inability to think or use good judgment so this is probably a good decision for them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they investigated 10,000 and shut down 200

That's 2%. That 2% of internet cafes are genuinely doing bad stuff even by our more relaxed standards is hardly a crazy claim in my eyes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like