back to article Apple CEO: Frothing fanboi iPhone 5 hype screwed our sales

Flat demand for iPhones in Europe, and hitches in getting products to the Chinese market, trampled Apple's latest quarterly profits, CEO Tim Cook has admitted. The head honcho was speaking to investors after the company posted its below-expectations results. Cook and chief bean counter Peter Oppenheimer also suggested that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

of course, Apple aren't the source of those rumours, are they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How does that make any sense? It's not the first time they've lost sales due to rumours.

1. tmTM

"How does that make any sense? It's not the first time they've lost sales due to rumours"

It's not like they do anything to quash the rumours is it, unlike everyone else who releases the odd detail.

They're victims of their own success, there's no sympathy for them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How many fanbois are waiting for the new iPhone 5?

Probably around.... 75 million.

I reckon they had better stock up for the release but can they manufacture that many in 3 months?

It will make Samsung sales look like.........

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OR...

75 million waiting for the release, then it'll be announced that its basically a 4s with a couple of tweaks. 50% of the fanbois will fall for it as being revolutionary, 25% will switch to the dark side and buy a samsung, the rest will just wait it out for the 5s.

2. Arctic fox
      Trollface

Indeed. In fact paraphrasing the Bard by pointing out that they seem to have been........

.........."hoist upon their own marketing petard" would appear to be in order.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Indeed. In fact paraphrasing the Bard by pointing out that they seem to have been........

and you really think they wouldn't learn first time?

Sounds more plausible that the competition was doing it for them.

3. Ilgaz

Their suppliers

They work with the cheapest suppliers to keep their maniacal profit rates so these rumours keeps going on. If they identify, sue and give up the suppliers who keeps chatting 24/7, it will stop.

Even as an end user, I always follow NDA agreements, not like a beta osx is super secret. These guys have multi million dollar contracts, they just can't shut up.

2. lurker

"The geography that did not perform well was Europe"

This word, "geography". I do not think it means what you think it means.

1. ItsNotMe
      Devil

Re: "The geography that did not perform well was Europe"

Hey...he's an IT guy...NOT an English Professor. Give him some slack.

1. lurker

He's not an IT guy, he's a designer. But I've seen the word misused this way a lot lately, possibly it's an Americanism or something? Or more likely just bollocks marketing boardroom lingo.

1. HP Cynic

I guess they got bored of saying "territory" or some plonker mistakenly said "the geography" and the pack followed him. Got to keep up with the buzzwords!

1. toadwarrior

Territory is too aggressive. They want make thei company appear software and more kind. So they battle over geography now.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its marketing speak that seems to have surfaced from across the pond recently. I've noticed it in a couple of different product pushing emails that I've received from regular suppliers over the last few days. Needless to say, I deleted them without reading further. If they're willing to butcher the english language, god knows what they're willing to do to their products...

1. Lance S

AFAIR -- 'geography' in this context is a shortening of 'geographical region' -- at least that is true for the tech company I am employed by. You will hear it shortened even further to "geo" quite often as well.

3. philbo

> possibly it's an Americanism or something?

I've heard it said many times that Americans don't get geography, but had always assumed it was because they had no idea where anything was outside the US.. maybe being geographically-challenged extends to usage of the word itself.

After all "The geography that did not perform well was Europe" .. "Europe was essentially flat" - you'd think he'd never gone skiing in the Alps. Or the Pyrenees, Apennines etc.

1. Jediben
            FAIL

If this is how he's corrupting English with the shareholders, god knows what the Apple Marketing to German/French/Spanish dictionary comes out with. Perhaps they are employing the same company that produced our Arabic Olympic signs?

2. Andus McCoatover
            Windows

Some Americans don't get geography.

I was in a fierce argument (fortunately it didn't become violent, he was Marine, and I wouldn't be here now otherwise) in a bar in Seattle with a 'Jar-head' who was sure Iraq was near the coast of Canada...I kid you not!

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Tim Cook isn't a designer, he's an industrial engineer, or what we in the UK call a manufacturing engineer. He's also an MBA.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Rob

Western Europe was the main culprit...

... I think that might be partly down to the fact that most of Western Europe is in the financial shit bin.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Western Europe was the main culprit...

Germany seems to be doing okay except it seems to be starting to prefer Android, particularly the Samsung flavour, over IOS. I'm sure that can't have anything to do with the court cases and attendant bad publicity here. Obviously Merkins should stop buying fancy German cars in retaliation!

1. Armando 123

Re: Western Europe was the main culprit...

"Germany seems to be doing okay"

... for now, until the rest of the EU starts pulling them down. Probably around the same time California does the same to the US. A falling tide lowers all boats, afterall. #eternaloptimist

2. 404

BAH!

Can't afford a fancy American car, much less a German one....

1. ravenviz Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: BAH!

Fancy? American Car? Er...

1. Heathroi

yeah they can be fancy or rather, gimmicky. Usually at the expense of something in the grimey bits, they have got better but so has every other manufacturer.

2. wayward4now
            Facepalm

'86-'87 El Dorado. I should never have sold it.

3. Darryl

Re: Obviously Merkins should stop buying fancy German cars in retaliation!

And, in the spirit of the protest against France a few years ago, they should also rename their German Shepherds to 'Freedom Shepherds'

5. Mr. Fatuous

Greece and Italy

I think I could guess why Greece and Italy aren't performing strongly. Has he checked international affairs recently?

1. The Serpent

Re: Greece and Italy

You know, if he bothered to look, I think he might find the citizens of Portugal and Ireland were keen to keep hold of their Euro too. What a twat.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Greece and Italy

Considering the average Americans understanding of international affairs, he probably thinks Greece and Italy are just off the coast of Alaska.

6. dogged

Cupertino Head Cook lashes out at rumour mill

talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

1. peter 45
      Facepalm

Re: Cupertino Head Cook lashes out at rumour mill

Apple stratecy

1. Keep everything secret in order to build huge expectation and momentum before launch

2. Huge expectation and momentum kills current sales

3. Complain

1. twaffler

Of course, there is the small matter that Cook didn't in any way lash out at the rumour mill.

But hey, why let that get in the way of a good rant?

1. DavCrav

It's true that he didn't lash out per se, but it was quite passive aggressive. I'm going to complain about this, and then say that I am not complaining, thus making it OK in the end. I guess that is meta-complaining, so the game is still not lost.

2. stanimir

no profit?

???

4. Profit?

3. Flashy Red
        Facepalm

The way they operate is also killing their PC sales (probably). I'm waiting to purchase a second iMac but I'll be damned if I give them my money for obsolete technology; in other words, I'm waiting for the Retina Display technology to hit the iMac line before I give them any more cash.

2. The Serpent

"talk about biting the hand that feeds you."

Look out - El Reg will get litigious on yo ass

7. Asiren
    Trollface

we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

So that the idiots will keep buying our old product at full price until the day before the new one is released. It guarantees customer satisfaction.

1. Tom 38

Re: we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

I know you've used the troll icon here, but Apple are actually quite good at handling that. Normally Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened, or give you a hefty itunes voucher. Phone or drop in to an Apple store.

Course, if you bought from O2 or Carphone Warehouse, bad luck chum.

1. Tom 35

Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

So how long do you keep your new phone in the box, just in case they release a new one?

How is that "quite good"?

1. Tom 38
          Thumb Down

Re: Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

So, as an example, my brother in law bought my sister an engraved iphone 3GS from the Plymouth Apple store for her birthday. In between buying it and her birthday, Apple released the iphone 4, he took it back there, they swapped it no questions, despite the custom engraving.

For a less "it happened to me so therefore it is policy" example here are some examples from around the net you downvoting !$%^.

1. Bob J.

Re: Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

Gives you some idea actually how much worth there is in an iPhone. Maybe $50?

2. Random Handle

Re: we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential

>Normally Apple will allow you to trade in your old one for a new one if unopened

Normally people in EU bought them on fairly substantial credit agreements in a state of semi-denial, whittering about operator subsidy. For many of the rest, the last couple of iPhones are probably still circling albatross on a CC balance somewhere....

...truth is, like most remarkable consumer growth it was fueled by borrowing.....

8. BobaFett
    Facepalm

It will all even out over time.

Seems like a pointless rant. There are plenty of people whose upgrade timing didn't warrant getting an iPhone 4S that will now purchase an iPhone 5. Apple know this, they most probably could have delivered an iPhone 5 in July, but are just stretching the revenues out for as long as is feasibly possible based on competitive offerings. I think the only people caught up in their own hype here, somewhat worryingly perhaps, were the analysts. But that's bankers and investors for you. As we're constantly reminded on financial adverts addressed to the consumer: "past performance isn't an indicator of future returns" (or something to that effect). Boo fucking hoo!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It will all even out over time.

As always Apple will release the new iPhone when iOS 6 is ready, not before,

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As always Apple will release the new iPhone when iOS 6 is ready, not before"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks, Metavisor. You've given me a good laugh.

Remind us again how fast Apple had to put out iOS 5.01 to fix the bugs that were bricking people's 4S's

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

Erm almost one month later? iPhone 4S released October 14, 5.0.1 update came out November 10.

Bricking people's 4S? Good story, but not true.

2. toadwarrior

You're saying Apple quickly responded to an serious problem and that's a bad thing?

I'd prefer that over the bugs that have lasted over versions of Android and the bugs I can't fix because I only ever got one or two system upgrades for my fecking phone.

1. Jedit Silver badge
            Stop

"You're saying Apple quickly responded to an serious problem and that's a bad thing?"

No, he's deriding Metavisor's claim that Apple don't release software until the serious problems are all fixed. There obviously was some kind of serious problem in iOS 5.0 because as you say, Apple responded to it, so that claim is easily falsified.

By the way, one of the big selling points of Android devices over iOS is that if you don't like your version of the OS, you can install a different one without voiding your warranty. If you don't want to go into such technical depth then that's OK - I haven't done it myself - but the option is there if you want it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@BobaFett

It may not have been possible to release the new iPhone in July. It sounds like they are using Qualcomm's MDM9615 baseband chip. This is a third generation LTE chip on 28nm, so it offers better power consumption than the earlier generations - as with 3G Apple waited longer than most so the baseband wouldn't suck the battery dry too quickly as happened with the first generation 3G and LTE chipsets. Perhaps equally important for Apple, it also supports TD-SCDMA to give them access to China Mobile's 700 million subscribers in a single SKU world phone, instead of selling a different model in China like everyone else does. The MDM9615 wouldn't have been available in anywhere near the quantities Apple would need for a summer launch.

Even so, unless they are producing the crap out of these things, I would think they'd have to delay the China launch until after Christmas to supply them with sufficient quantities. That would be ideal timing anyway for Chinese New Year...

Apple's iPhone sales may have fallen short of analyst estimates this month, and will almost certainly be seen as disappointing next quarter, but I'd look for the Oct-Dec and Jan-Mar quarter sales to blow away even the most optimistic analyst estimates thanks to sales of the new iPhone in first the US and later in China, especially if this fall also brings a new iPad/iPod/iRead or whatever they call the rumored 7" iOS device.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: @DougS

A nice, insightful bit of useful information, based on facts - thanks for that.

1. Tom 35

Re: @DougS

Except for "blow away even the most optimistic analyst estimates". Not much chance of that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK how about everyone simply ignores you and your hyped up kit, just so your bottom line doesn't get hit? Would you like that better? No, didn't think so!

What a pillock!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

its just common sense....

i know its hard to get the concept that apple fanbois (and girls) have any common sense... but think about it... anticipated new shiny object..... wait for an official announcement....

My daughter, a very bright student has a bit of a mental block when it comes to apple stuff is due for her phone upgrade as of yesterday... It took me a lot of convincing to get her to hang on a few weeks for an announcement......

why pay £34 per month for a iphone 4s, when in a few weeks, you will get a iphone5 for £35, or get a 4s at the reduced price of £25 per month....

personally, I cant wait for my Samsung Galaxy S 3 to arrive !!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: its just common sense....

Weird logic. No one knows much about the I-Phone 5 so it counts as an unknown unknown. I think you can only safely assume that last year's model may be discounted somewhat. As for release date: the channel will probably know when inventory starts drying up.

Personally, I think splodging £ 35 a month on a phone means that you've got money to burn. This is not supposed to be a common trait amongst students what with the increased tuition fees. But, if she does has the cash, then let her do with it what she pleases.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: its just common sense....

yup. Is just common sense.

In our case, my wifes contract is running out on her phone (Android 2.3 based HTC Desire) and I have no personal phone, just a work blackberry 9360 Curve (which does a good job at work e-mail BTW).

I noticed the 4S had come down in price for contract but its still a 24 month contract - in that time the 5 or 5S will be established. My wife is keeping her Desire phone and upgrading the Android OS on it... It does the job and go onto PAYG.

Me - I'm not sure - I have iTunes with a hefty set of songs and Spotify (both have iphone apps) and I like the idea of iCloud (I know there is an Android equivalent - but not sure if it syncs music) and Airplay. Again - I could probably achieve something with DNLA.

I would have gone for a 4S or a Samsung S2 or S3. Its not worth getting a 4S on contract now as the cost will come down when the 5 comes out - it did when the 4 came out (especially people putting their old iPhone 3G's on ebay).

11. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Facepalm

Some commenters need to learn not to take headlines too literally.. especially on El Reg..

But yes EU current affairs should have given them a bit of prior warning if they had been paying attention..

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's not our fault"

"So it must be your fault"

That sort of thing?

13. Darryl
    Holmes

Alternate theory

Maybe some people have clued in to the fact that Apple releases a new iPhone every year or so, and they might as well wait a month or two and get the latest version, rumours or no rumours.

14. The FunkeyGibbon
    Flame

Cry me a river...

"Our enormous profits are slightly less enormous just ahead of a huge rush to buy our new product! Boo hoo!"

Shut up Cook, you know there are loads of frothing fanbois who are asking Siri on a daily basis "WHEN IS THE iPHONE5 OUT?!? I must have it, it is the precious.." who will queue like zombies the very moment you announce that your new phone is out.

Dear God the whining from companies that their obscene profits just aren't obscene enough... talk about 1st World problems.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed it for ya

Apple CEO: Galaxy S3 screwed our sales

16. insane_hound
    Joke

iPhone6 due in February

It'll have a screen 0.1 inches bigger and iOs7.... don't buy a 5 because you'll need to buy a 6 next year!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

17. hplasm
    Gimp

Fanbois!

Even the Mothership finds you annoying!

18. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

"Extreme activities", eh?

"we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential, and we go to do extreme activities to try to do that "

The unbidden image of high-level engineers walking around with immaculate Apple-white USB sticks hidden in body cavities comes to mind.

1. Darryl

Re: "Extreme activities", eh?

EWWWWW!

19. joejack
    Go

I think he's dead on RE: rumour mill

I'm holding off on buying a phone in expectation of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

20. bart

Future Poof

I'm waiting for iphone 12. I'm sure it's just around the corner, under $1000. I hear it will include telephonic voice communication . . .

1. DavCrav

Re: Future Poof

I upvoted, but had to ask: did you really mean future poof?

21. Laie Techie

Connectors

Why buy an iPhone 4S with the legacy 30-ping connector when it seems all but confirmed that the iPhone 5 will have a 19-pin connector? Any kit I buy for the iPhone 4S will need an adapter to work with newer versions.

22. Stewart McKenna
    Happy

A better writer could have re-phrased this

"Cook and chief bean counter Peter Oppenheimer..."

as

"Chief Cook and bottle washer...."

badda boom

23. Majid

I'll wait out for anything with near field communication.

Any other phone is outdated if it doesn't have that.

24. ravenviz Silver badge
    WTF?

France, and Greece and Italy were particularly poor

No sh*t!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unlikely

The majority of iPhone users aren't the kind of geeks who read the tech websites that report gossip on Apple, which means that Apple's sales are going down because their iProducts are getting old and long in the tooth with nothing really new happening.

THIS is why Apple is trying to ban the competition.

1. Joerg
      WTF?

Re: Unlikely

There is no "going down" for Apple products.

Apple sold +28% iPhone4S than on 2011. It's a positive percentage. It's a growth not a decline.

Stop spreading lies!

1. Bob J.

So says Apple. Trust 'em?

1. Joerg

Wrong. Those are true numbers. It's not like Google and Microsoft that tell only how many units they sold to retailers not to real people end user customers.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he ever happy?

If they're not suing someone they're complaining because the the rumour mill, fuelled by their own publicity department means people don't buy their current product.

FFS - stop being such cry babies: you're starting to look extremely pathetic.

27. Richard Tobin
    FAIL

Entirely Apple's own fault

<Nelson>Ha ha</Nelson>. Apple's uses fanbois' obsession when it suits them, so it's nice to see it hitting their sales. Secrecy is their choice, and those who live by the sword shall die by the sword.

1. Joerg
      FAIL

Re: Entirely Apple's own fault

Still nonsense. Either you work for Microsoft or Google you surely must be pretty desperate nowadays.

Apple sold +28% iPhone4S than on 2011 for the same period of time. It's a growth not a decline.

And the number of iPad3 unit sold keeps getting higher and higher.

1. hplasm
        FAIL

Re: Entirely Apple's own fault

"And the number of iPad3 unit sold keeps getting higher and higher."

Well it couldn't go lower could it?

Or do things work differently in Fanspace?

28. Joerg
    FAIL

There is no drop in Apple sales...just plain stupid analysts.

No drop. No slide. Apple sold +28% more iPhone units than last year for the same period of time.

Anyone telling otherwise is talking and writing just plain nonsense either for his/her own ignorance or on purpose to follow some agenda.

Twisting numbers trying to turn positive percentages into negative ones it's just a silly pathetic lie.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is no drop in Apple sales...just plain stupid analysts.

But there was a drop from 35.1 million in Q2 to 26 million this quarter... that is what people are talking about - not Q3 year on year.... or did you not read the article? Or are you saying that the Apple CEO is " talking and writing just plain nonsense either for his/her own ignorance or on purpose to follow some agenda"

1. Joerg

Wrong. There was no drop.

The same time of the year Apple always sold less units than the monts before because people wait for the new iPhone to be released in a couple months. It's just as simple as that. But this time they still sold more units than last year.

There is no negative number there. There is no drop.

Stop trying twisting numbers to please Microsoft and Google. The only true fact is that Apple keeps selling more units that the year before.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you JPZR?

Just asking.

29. John A Blackley

How much profit is enough?

See title

30. etabeta
    Thumb Down

It's all my fault!

For not wasting my money to pay their damned patent layers; and buying a Galaxy SIII !

31. Local Group
    Devil

" Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

I refer to the 5 year old imitation recovery which is only an artificial or double-dip recession that we all know is really a dilly dallying depression. (Dilly dallying so that the 1% has more time to transfer your wealth to them. :(

32. Kurt 4
    Pint

WP8

They're waiting for Windows phone 8 obviously.

33. Bob J.
    FAIL

Apple has lost its soul

Apple decided to abandon its Mac users, its authentic fan base, to try and score big in toys (i.e., smartphones and tablets). It did ... for awhile. But now there's competition, Android is kicking IOS' butt, and the margins are collapsing. For this Apple pushed its most ardent customers under the bus? Tim Cook isn't responsible for Apple's turn in this direction -- Jobs first quaffed of the poison brew of greed and dominance -- but he has certainly exacerbated the problems inherent in Jobs' strategy, not least understanding the difference between computers and toys. That's what happens when a good operations man is asked to execute on a stupid strategy: excellent progression right to the bottom of the sea.

Apple has already lost its soul. Maybe it needs to lose its head. Only then can it start back on the road to recovery.

34. Steve Williams

Not so much the fanbois...

...who are making a rational choice based on the rumours of an impending new model.. Rather blame the online media, forums etc, who see a way to increase clicks by posting any stupid Apple rumours no matter how unlikely. Including el Reg who like to have it both ways: publish all the crap rumours from other sites and get the clicks, but also take the opportunity to be snide to Apple and the fanbois.

35. VulcanV5
    Meh

dumb and dumber

A bit unfair to blame the fruity fanbois when Apple's PR machine runs nod-and-a-wink "tip-offs" to those media so in thrall to the company that they'll print anything: I've lost track of the number of email updates I get from PC Advisor here in the UK announcing / revealing / exclusively reporting that the 'next generation' Fruit Bat Mk 5 v3 running JuicyBits 0.0.5.9 will be on sale next month / year / decade.

Who the fuck cares? Apple is just a manufacturer of a commodity that sells in large part to retards who not long ago thought a pair of trainers was a badge of status.

Me, I'm waiting to hear when Ross Frozen Foods is going to bring out the next version of its microwaveable fish pie dinner . The Haddock4 was pretty good but Haddock5 promises to be even more capable with a shiny new, slimmer box design and a revised operating system optimized for use in low wattage ovens. Haddock5 is trending fast amongst the intelligentsia on Twat and FaecesBook so there are bound to be midnight queues at every Asda-Walmart in the UK.

36. Ascylto
    Big Brother

The European dimension...

Now that wouldn't happen to be because of the gross distortion caused by Apple's prices (at least in the UK) would it? Apple have their own US$ to GB£ calculator which doesn't resemble anyone else's, even their own apps. Aren't apple connected to Disney? Same fantasies!

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah iPhone sales ONLY up 28% compared to 12 months ago - terrible. Only added another 'god knows how many billions' to their cash mountain - how will they cope. Good time to buy AAPL.

38. KakersUK
    Meh

"But it was useless to rail against that rumour mill"

No it's not... you could have just made an announcement like "We've begun work on the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5" and still keep the whole secrecy, leaving people guess about the look or specs.

39. Nick De Plume
    Facepalm

in short

It is tough selling an expensive phone where there is economical troubles.

Especially if there are cheaper and arguably better alternatives.

Especially if your new "shiny shiny" is beginning to look dated. Both by itself and in comparison with the competition.

40. Ben Rosenthal
    WTF?

enough in profits to make Solomon blush, but he's just not blushing deeply enough!

My heart bleeds.

41. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Psst!! Nokia!

NOW!! Get 'em while they're against the ropes! N9!!

Lovely thought, but knowing Nokia, there's got to be a Powerpoint presentation created, a few meetings...Opportunity lost.

42. Parax
    FAIL

WTF?!

"we try very hard to keep our product roadmap secret and confidential, and we go to do extreme activities to try to do that [...] That, however, doesn't stop people from speculating or wondering and will never do that. "

IF you want to end SPECULATION don't keep SECRETS.

If the customers are all speculating over an iPhone 5 perhaps if you'd have delivered an iPhone 5 there would not have been a problem.

If you want to keep secrets AND meet expectations (deliver on speculation) you are either exceptionally talented or delusional...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like