back to article Dell channels Dr Who, shoves Big Data into Small Data Tardis

Dell reckons it can turn Big Data into, er, Small Data. Hoarded information could be squeezed down to size - potentially reducing disk occupancy by 97 per cent - if the tech titan's numbers add up. The company will bundle RainStor's deduping structured data software with one of its object storage system to provide a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Don't scare me like this!

For a brief moment I honestly thought that Dell was planning to target the Dr. Who series in an attempt to advertise their products (without "advertising" obviously).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation marketing dep't strikes again!

"...actually it's termed a "solution" but damn it, it's a product..."

Thumbs up for that. One of my own personal bugbears.

Any business using that word and who don't actually manufacture liquids in which other stuff is dissolved are 'a bunch of mindless jerks who deserve to be first up against the wall, when the revolution comes'

3. Ant Evans
    Boffin

You can use internet searches to investigate press releases

This appears to be a UK developed column database or something inspired by it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/12/clearpace_shrinks_primary_databases/

4. Scott Wheeler

Trust

Thinking as a user rather than an IT manager: how far would you trust it? Often the reason that users keep their own copy of documents is because they don't trust that central copies will remain present and unchanged. I suspect that this technology has the unintended side effect of users moving stuff into local storage. I've seen this happen with centralised automatic email archiving.

1. Ant Evans
      Boffin

Re: Trust

As an end user I would be more worried that my data was so safe I couldn't get to it. I don't know anything about RainStor/ClearSpace, but I'll bet it relies on good metadata. GIGO.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like