back to article Anonymous hits Australia

People operating under the name “Anonymous” claim to have defaced several websites in the Australian state of Queensland, in protest against draft Australian policies on data retention. The Twitter handle @Op_Australia makes the claim in this tweet. A webchat channel at anonops.com named opAustralia referenced in other tweets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc

WTF

"the public has a chance to comment on them before the August 6th conclusion of a consultation process". Yes, assuming you knew said consultation was in process.

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

1. LarsG
      Headmaster

It's just a shame

That Governments will just take it on the chin, condemn the perpetrator but then do absolutely nothing to change things.

But the biggest fail is that after abuses have been highlighted the voter could change things but instead continues to sleep walk.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: It's just a shame

Strange really, not at all sure to which council's planning department Douglas Adam's makes reference. At a recent Street Party in our area the closure of the road by the council, aside from being reported in the local news paper was also posted on at least three lamp posts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/16/interception_of_communcations_commissioner_report/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/12/communications_data_bill_joint_committee_day_2/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/19/viviane_reding_on_uk_communications_data_bill/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/11/communcations_data_bill_joint_committee/

And just for lulz, how the UK government does online consultations about online

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/28/public_consultation_internet_smut_filtering/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/29/dfe_website_security_flaw/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wrote to my MP about the snooping. Suggesting to him that it was an invasion of privacy

They wrote back saying it was for my own good

Can't wait to see what surprising people he's been emailing regularly

4. jake Silver badge

Actually, "Anonymous" hasn't really ever done anything.

If you don't have a face, your opinion doesn't really matter. When you vandalize (for various variations of vandalism), you turn the rest of the GreatUnwashed[tm] against you.

Get over yourselves, anonytwats. Go back to sitting in Redwood trees. We, the educated general public, are sick to fucking death of uneducated morons interrupting our lives, to no effect. Remember, doing the same thing over & over again, getting the same result every time, each time expecting a different result, is one of the first signs of insanity ...

Seriously, if you really care, learn how politics really works. And then get off your fucking high-horse arses & fucking vote, instead of pissing off the people who actually do vote!

1. Goat Jam
      Flame

Re: Actually, "Anonymous" hasn't really ever done anything.

"get off your fucking high-horse arses & fucking vote"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

You say that like voting makes some sort of difference. Priceless.

Golly who should I vote for, the major party who wants to bend me over and ram it in or the major party who wants to bend me over and ram it in?

Decisions, decisions.

1. jake Silver badge

@Goat Jam (was: Re: Actually, "Anonymous" hasn't really ever done anything.)

You are a part of the problem. You want it all now. Ain't gonna happen.

Civilization is a thingie that takes centuries. And education.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, I suspect "Anonymous" has done more than we may think .....

The 'net' effect of the "Anonymous" is to provide more ammunition for the 'powers that be' to increase the levels of many of the things that "Anonymous" are protesting about.

As Jake has mentioned above the vandalism riles the GreatUnwashed[tm], Sheeple, Proletariat, etc (*) thus giving more justification to the governments around the world to intensify their activities on the Internet....... and round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Actually, I suspect "Anonymous" has done more than we may think .....

"GreatUnwashed[tm], Sheeple, Proletariat, etc (*)"

Missing footnote.

Note that the 0.000001% who are riling against the "1%" are almost universally uneducated. And pissing off the actual 98.5% (our decal, STR & win a cookie/biscuit) of the mainstream of humanity.

It'll all end in tears ... It always does.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Facepalm

(*) replace offensive term for voters as appropriate to your 'hysterical rant'.

Sorry Jake I noticed the missing foot note as I posted, but as we know there is no edit on a post lol.

1. jake Silver badge

"(*) replace offensive term for voters as appropriate to your 'hysterical rant'."

You found mine to be a "hysterical rant"? Goodness.

Hopefully the indoctrination wasn't too painful ...

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

I read your use of the word GreatUnwashed[tm] as irony. Hey I live in the UK.

1. jake Silver badge
                    Pint

Have a cuppa on me ... We'll discuss the "hysterical" bit later.

Probably too early for beer, but it's the closest I could get ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Pint

Hysterical

Jake I wouldn't apply the term 'Hysterical' to your prose above, because I entirely agree with what you are saying. Now then, being from the UK and in particular England, whilst I do try to keep an appropriate 'stiff upper lip' during my postings (refraining from using invective language even when it is richly deserved). I wouldn't expect the same standards from others.

I do know that you wild Colonials are far more hot headed and read your post either in the spirit in which it was written, or at least agreeing with what you were saying.

Earl Grey all round, would you like milk, or a slice of lemon?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Hysterical

Invective language has it's place. Think iterative punctuation. Unfortunately, I'm not as good as TheBardOfAvon, either in expressing it or interpreting it. But if we can communicate, there is hope. Hopefully. If there's no freshly roasted coffee, make it a pint of strong Yorkshire-style tea[1], hot, cream, no sugar. Ta.

[1] So I'm a hick. Shoot me, if you must.

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

Freshly Roasted Columbian beans ….... and iterative punctuation [1].

I read these hactivist stories and I just don't understand why they can't see that their actions are counter-productive. If you generate a threat to government this will inevitably be used as an argument for oppressing the threat, if you act anonymously this oppression will be to increase the level of surveillance to counter that threat. If you don't understand this read 1984 and then take a good hard look at 'The War on Terror'............

Where government policy has been revised this is due to public pressure, and very much in-spite of the latest hactivist activity.

[1] Indeed I can see the expletives of the 'Iterative punctuation', some how I have resisted putting them on the post.

2. Scorchio!!
              Devil

Tears in the shower cubicles, as Bubba tenderly embraces some 'fresh'.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Mushroom

That is just an utterly inhuman and cruel punishment Scorchio! The comment by the way, not what may happen to Anonymous, I am in a meeting at work. I'm now trying not to smile and snigger. I always thought of Bubba as being American, I guess there may well be a 'Bubba's Australian Cousin'? Fingers crossed.

1. Scorchio!!
                  Angel

I understand this kind of thing exists in prisons throughout the world, though it would appear that some Bubbas are gentler than others, IYKWIM. ;-)

2. SJRulez
      WTF?

"And then get off your fucking high-horse arses & fucking vote"

I'll vote when there is someone worth voting for but by that time I will probably be collecting my pension if there is actually one for me to collect!

"learn how politics really works"

It doesn't work for the public, it works for the people in power, and it works to keep them in power no matter how shit they are!

1. SJRulez

Incidentally while we are at it, the last time I did vote it was wasnt for any of the parties that got in to power. And the party that got in "representing the majority" did so with 34% of the votes, that's not a majority at all.

2. Scorchio!!
        FAIL

Why don't you form a party and stand for election? Too much trouble for you? Tango Sierra.

3. Scorchio!!

" "And then get off your fucking high-horse arses & fucking vote"

I'll vote when there is someone worth voting for but by that time I will probably be collecting my pension if there is actually one for me to collect!

"learn how politics really works"

It doesn't work for the public, it works for the people in power, and it works to keep them in power no matter how shit they are!"

Not necessarily so. If you have an interest in politics, if your views are held by a significant proportion of the population, then the time to mobilise has arrived; join the party that is nearest to your views and wants and, with those like minded people you persuade to also join, work to change policies; link up with people who have similar views in different seats, and change the party to represent your views. If you are from a minority view it looks as though you are shit out of luck. That would also be the case where setting up your own party is concerned. An example of a minority that tried to inflict itself on the Labour party and thus the nation is the Trotskyist 'militant tendency' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militant_tendency ), and another is the instance of extremist Muslims who tried to take over the Tower Hamlets Labour party, resulting in the Labour party's executive placing Tower Hamlets under 'special measures'.

Either get involved or stop the moaning and whining. Politics is not like a restaurant, where you the consumer order a meal and it appears on your table; like sex, politics is a matter of participation (if you have yet to experience sexual intercourse try using your hand, and then progress to interacting with real people, not computers). You have to farm the vegetables, harvest them and cook them for yourself (I accept in these days of 'ready cooked food' in supermarkets, obesity and a culture favouring computer gaming over the exercise for which our bodies evolved, which it needs daily, that this example may sail over your head). Granted that since WWII many people in this country have expected everything to appear freely and spontaneously, something which starting with the Labour party (and later the Tories who tried to keep up with the free for all bonanza) instilled in us. Now people no longer have to bring up their own children, oh no; these commodities can be placed in battery care, whilst the workers can do their Orwellian duty to the party, making more babies and simultaneously holding a career, earning money, so that they can buy bigger houses (purchased using unrealistically large, unsustainable mortgages in an economic environment run by people whose knowledge of economics has more to do with the play pen than it does reality) in which to place more babies.

You will never derive from politics all of the things that you want, unless you impose your own dictatorship on the nation; then the only satisfied person will be you. Politics is a matter of compromise and common sense and if you do not vote then you have only yourself to blame if the BNP gain office.

1. jake Silver badge

@Scorchio!! (Was: Re: Actually, "Anonymous" hasn't really ever done anything.)

Sing, it, Brother!

The Nintendo Generation are bad ... The iFad generation are going to be worse.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Invidious Aardvark
      Megaphone

How politics works:

1) Lick arses of people in the particular camp you agree with until you get a nomination.

2) Get elected.

3) Vote self pay rise (amount set by "independant" committee, so that's alright then!).

4) Pass laws for your mates in various businesses "to encourage growth and help the mum and dad shareholders".

5) Leave politics and get cushy job with businesses mentioned above.

There are very few politicians over here that I trust (mostly the independants because they don't have to toe a party line and seem to actually listen to their electorate). The choice is basically get shafted by Labor or get shafted by the Libs and neither option is that appealling.

As to the actual issue being protested, I was under the impression that there was a presumption of innocence in criminal law. These proposals seem to be assuming guilt by all (until they are proven innocent by the data gathered). If you suspect I'm plotting nefarious deeds then by all means apply for a warrant to monitor my communications, otherwise leave me alone - you have no right to invade my privacy and that of the vast majority of the population because you may capture some evidence against a tiny number of criminals

I'm not saying I agree with their methods, but the fact that this is in the news shows that the defacement has done its job - the issue is now in the media again and hopefully more people will read about it and protest.

P.S. Voting in federal elections in Australia is mandatory, so the people who defaced the sites, assuming they are Aussies and old enough, will be voting too rather than sitting on their "fucking high-horse arses".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Government wants your data

All of it.

6. ukgnome
    Joke

People operating under the name “Anonymous”

I know the NHS is looking to save money, but this is ridiculous!

(maybe I should read the article first)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Viva la VPN, mate!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for more perps to do the walk

The not so anonymous folks are just dying to visit the Iron Bar Hotel for ten years.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typo correction

"People operating under the name “Anonymous” claim to have defaced^H^H^H^Hecated on several websites in the Australian state of Queensland"

10. Jack The Watcher
    Holmes

Another reason for an attack on Queensland

It is of no surprise that the attacks are on Queensland Government web sites as the new Queensland gov have been sacking Public Servants in the thousands since April this year and don look like stopping, there aim is to weaken the Public Sector then outsource it to the private sector, it only coincidence that the new premiers wife's family is positioned to pickup many millions of dollars worth of contracts.

You may find as the Qld Gov destroys more lives and families the attacks may just increase over time.

I am just a watcher.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another reason for an attack on Queensland

The Queensland government (in fact, ALL governments worldwide) should sack 80% of Public Servants and make the remaining 20% perform a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.

Get rid of the shiny arses and eliminate the ineptitude and outright laziness rampant in the Public Service and we'll all pay less tax.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like