back to article Rupert Murdoch legs it from British newspaper boards

Rupert Murdoch has quit the boards of his once beloved British newspaper business, paving the way for the tycoon's News Corp empire to be split in two. The media giant confirmed in June that Murdoch would head up the broadcasting and entertainment division created from the breakup of News Corp. For Murdoch, it's a significant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Desk Jockey
    Pirate

More cynicism please

A better interpretation of this would be that Murdoch is rapidly backing away from the UK side of things due to: a hostile British public and political interests; to protect his US business which is more lucrative; and to avoid being charged with bribing public officials by the US government. All real threats to him.

From my perspective I would say good riddance. It is time the newspapers were owned by a more diverse group of people to avoid all that political power being held by a small number of nasty white old men!

1. Ru
      Unhappy

Re: "small number of nasty white old men!"

Cue, "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss!".

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Re: "small number of nasty white old men!"

"Cue, "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss!"."

Something to be said for "better the devil you know"...

2. philbo

Re: More cynicism please

It would have been difficult for him to run these businesses while on trial for perjury, or serving five years at Her Majesty's pleasure for perjury. So maybe he's left to spend more time with his (defence) lawyers..

Cynical enough for you? :)

2. David 45

Have to register to read.

FT.com articles are only available to registered users and subscribers.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Have to register to read.

This doesn't always work but it did here. Follow the link. I used Firefox with no script turned on for the site. Allowing scripts for ft.com displays too many pop ups and other artifacts. Do a search for the title of the article. I searched via Bing though no doubt Google will work too. Somewhere in the results you will often find a link to the actual article. This article appears to be accessible using this technique. No payment required! Shhhh!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope he keels over before his sky TV bid

1. John G Imrie

Please no

I want him to know he lost it. And I want him to know it was Rebecca Brooks who lost it for him.

4. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Ratfest NT

No Icon untile we get a Thatcher icon with a cheesy grin

5. Anthony Hulse

Transparent

No, Jeremy Hunt, this does NOT mean the Sky bid can now go ahead!!

6. auburnman

The NotW break up was a year ago? We should have an anniversary celebration.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye.....

....Walnut face.

Now can the US authorities take note of this bribing arrogant SOB & miscreant, please?

1. Homer 1
      Alien

Re: "US authorities take note"

Unlikely. Dirty Digger is exactly the sort of gangster who's revered as a hero over there. They're more likely to elect him to congress than prosecute him.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "US authorities take note"

"Dirty Digger is exactly the sort of gangster who's revered as a hero over there"

Don't bet on that. I take the point that the UK authorities won't touch him, but I don't think the Yanks will be so forgiving. When fraud or corruption is proven, they're much harder than the UK, and they'll not be so easy on Murdoch because (citizenship notwithstanding) he's an Aussie. And not only will he and his businesses face civil claims in the US, but they'll also be under investigation under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Personally I'm not sure whether to hope that the stress does for Murdoch, or that he lives long enough to be convicted.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rats, sinking ships, etc.

9. DJO Silver badge

Be nice to old codger.

Let's have whip round to buy him Robert Maxwells old yacht with the dodgy safety rail.

This topic is closed for new posts.