back to article Fake Facebook photo tag ruse smears malware on PCs

Spam emails have attempted to trick Facebookers into visiting virus-stuffed web pages by claiming users have been tagged in photos. The counterfeit messages appear to have been sent by the dominant social networking website, but the "From" address is misspelled as "Faceboook.com" among other mistakes. The emails feature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mystic Megabyte
    Big Brother

Off topic, facial recognition

I've just been reading this article

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-fbi-facebook-facial-recognition.html

I have never had a FB account but I don't like the idea that my image has been tagged by friends on theirs.

If there is a picture of me in, say, a drunken state I would not want that to be globally available.

Does anyone know the legal status of this in the UK?

Can I compel FB to remove all instances of my image and name?

1. dkjd

Re: Off topic, facial recognition

If you are drunk in a public place in the UK, then people can take piccies/videos of you and sell them for profit. So unless the picture was taken in your house then its too bad for you.

Tagging in facebook is linking the image to your facebook account, so if you don't have an account you should not be tagged.

2. JDX Gold badge

You can set it so tags of yourself in pictures require your authentication/review, IIRC.

3. Test Man
      Stop

"If there is a picture of me in, say, a drunken state I would not want that to be globally available."

Welcome to The Internet.

The dispute resolutions to get photos removed are not specific to Facebook, but apply to any website really - any picture of you that you object to should be disputed by contacting the person who put the picture up in the first place, or the host. With Facebook, you follow the instructions here - https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=217091804975136

But at the end of the day, if someone takes a picture of you in a drunken state, there's not a lot you can do about it to stop them from putting it up on the internet.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, you can't do that.

In order to tag a photo in FB, the person has to be on FB and be your friend. The process works like this:

1. Upload photo.

2. Highlight faces (manually or automatic FB scan).

3. Identify face by typing in the name of your FB friend.

So if you aren't on FB, you can't be tagged.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Happy

>Actually, you can't do that.

That's a relief, my paranoia level has resumed to normal :) Thanks

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Only affects Windoze machines you say? No surprise there then!

1. Desktop Mobile
      Trollface

Re: Hmm

Top Trolling Mate!

Hold I know how this works I now mention Apple market share... Exploits written when greater market share... Oh and mention cost plus the word fanbois a few times & sheep

Linux not affected, & free plus only used by clever people... sorry nerds

How am I doing (new this troll like activity)?

**Oh hell I am I supposed to be an anonymous coward**

1. Steve Evans

Re: Hmm

Not bad, but you forgot to throw in a mention of the Mac Flashback virus and how long it took for Apple to do anything about it for Lion, and even longer for Snow Leopard.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook IS the Internet

Isn't it?

4. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

A simple solution

If my memory serves me correctly; (and I'm probably not explaining it clearly, but hey, its been a long day today) didn't somebody come up with a mechanism for validating incoming email addresses by creating a protocol whereby when a server receives a mail it extracts the senders email address and queries the senders server to see if that email address actually exists e.g. if you receive an email from elreg@gmail.com your server would query gmail.com to see if elreg was a valid email address.

My memory is that whoever came up with this protocol tried to get MickeySoft to implement it but they wouldn't unless they could also patent the method.

Open to correction.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like