back to article Dropbox brings in crack team to probe spam leakage

Dropbox has begun investigating complaints that users are receiving spam to email addresses only associated with their accounts at the file-sharing service. The spam, sent to addresses only used for Dropbox accounts, advertises a particular gambling website, according to users on Dropbox's forum. The behaviour has sparked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Cotterill

I vote for 3rd Party

Having a custom email address for my account, I have yet to receive any spam to this address. Oh, I have never signed up for any 3rd party apps either. But if it is a 3rd party then there is almost no way to track down which one, or whether your files have been compromised.

1. nigel 15
      FAIL

Re: I vote for 3rd Party

I don't use any 3rd party apps. just the standard desktop client.

and i received spam to my unique dropbox address.

i think you have read too much in to the fact that haven't received any spam.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I vote for 3rd Party

Same here, no 3rd party apps, dedicated address, but getting spam.

2. a33a
    Stop

On my unique dropbox address, in the form dropbox@mydomain.co.uk, I recieved 2 spam emails from EuroDice.

1. nigel 15

this?

Sign up to the Euro Dice Exchange to get an incredible welcome bonus of a massive 300% of your first deposit.

This is a great way to set up a massive bankroll before even playing any of the great games on offer!

There are loads of incredible games to play and huge amounts of cash to be won at this fantastic site.

Get into the action today to take your massive first deposit bonus.

http://www.eurodiceexchange win.com

---

To unsubscribe from our email service, please click here:

http://unsubscribe.eurodiceexchange win.com

2. GettinSadda

Strangely I had the same two Euro Dice e-mails, but both had two of my 'special' addresses in the "To:" field, my dropbox address, and an address I used to sign up to Viewster.

1. nigel 15

re: Strangely I had

that may be more to do with the taxonomy of the bulgarian spammers rather than the source of your two addresses.

3. probedb

They're the same emails as the linkedin/lastfm ones and it only went to my dropbox forwarder.

4. John A Blackley

DropBox has a security problem?

Say it ain't so!

5. Adrian Jones

Same here

I had four emails last night to our two dropbox email addresses. Again, these addresses were not given to any other organisation.

6. Spoonsinger
    Holmes

Reminds me of the headline in a local UK market town rag...

"Joint raid on crack house"

I always assumed the authorities were going to be disappointed.

Sherlock because....

7. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Spam Account

I have a free web based email. Whenever I sign up for online services I use that account. Then I go there, get whatever info I need (They usually send an email with a confirmation link), and log off.

I get between 200-350 spam mails a week on that account. I go in at the end of each month, select all and delete. There is simply too much marketing BS going on today with push emails. My personal email address is for my use and no one else.

8. Richard Hodgson

It'd be interesting to see the mail headers for some of these; the last time I saw this happen (Moonpig), it turned out that someone had broken into their account with their mailing list provider and started sending out spam.

Anybody care to post a pastebin link to the full source for some of the messages?

1. Dave W

Full content including headers posted to pastebin

Postified:

http://pastebin.com/TG651duJ

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One possibility

If your Dropbox-specific address is of the form dropbox@<name>.me.uk then it's not a hard guess. (Mine is like that but I have found Google Apps spam filters to be pretty good.)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: One possibility

That probably explains why I haven't received anything (yet).

I do get spam, average 15/day over six different addresses, but nothing about gambling at this point.

2. Darkstar
      Thumb Down

Re: One possibility

Getting spam on my only used for Dropbox email address. No one would guess it. Even more annoying is I installed Dropbox and never used it for more than a quick play. Grrr...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like