back to article Skype so sorry for sending that saucy IM to mum instead of pash

Skype has admitted its IP-chat software can accidentally send punters' private messages to the wrong person on their contact lists. Skype 'fessed up to the cock-up on Monday, promised a fix was in development, and added that this would be available within days. Reports of the bug first surfaced on community support forums last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gah

It's too easy to say "Skype is far worse since Microsoft bought it", but it really is. Lots of things simply stopped working properly now, like BT headsets with the iOS Skype- people who can fish old versions out of jailbroken backups can still use them, the rest are stuffed.

Finding an alternative that won't annoy and/or terrify nearest and dearest, however, proves less simple than you'd imagine. As soon as one comes along, I am outtathar..

1. Hoodlum

Re: Gah

Yeah, seems to have fallen prey to the common problem of more and more unnecessary features being added every version, just "because".

Look at the bloated mess Adobe Reader is these days, god knows why it's so hard to just leave things alone.

1. TRT Silver badge

Amen to that. Who uses the online game facility of Skype? Go on, fess up. *tumbleweed*

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Especially because the Microsoft Lync app is simple, works great and is everything Skype used to be before they improved it.

On the other hand if this means that they will keep dancing kitten icons and facebook buttons out of Lync I'm all for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have to disagree with the "Skype is far worse since Microsoft bought it" comment - I've been using Skype on Windows (around 5 years) and iPad (since it was released) and I struggle to detect any real change in quality during this time.

For the iPad, making more than one Skype call without a crash/restart of the device required to restore functionality to Skype is a fairly good indicator that flying pigs are viewable in the immediate vicinity.

For Windows, crashes and the IM client slowing machines to a crawl is pretty standard although multiple calls is a possibility without requiring a reboot.

Other than "it's free" and the grandparents can use it, there isn't a lot to recommend it....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting it's "Skype" not "Microsoft"....

Fixed it for ya.

"Microsoft has admitted its IP-chat software Skype can accidentally send punters' private messages to the wrong person on their contact lists.

Microsoft 'fessed up to the cock-up on Monday, promised a fix was in development, and added that this would be available within days. Reports of the bug first surfaced on community support forums last week.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Separate IM accounts, guys - a normal one and a pervy one. Avoids all manor of disasters! I don't get why someone would want to mix up mum, dad, aunty Mabel, gimpboy2000 and cum-dump-susan all on the same account!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You know Susan as well????

1. Captain DaFt

If you knew Susy like I know Susy

Oi! Oi! Oi! Whatta gal!

2. P. Lee

What's your name? Bruce?

4. Uplink

Linux

So let me guess: Linux users not affected, because the Linux client hasn't been updated for ages, so hey, no update required this time around either, because they never sat down to break it. Right?

5. TheProf
    Megaphone

Last paragraph

"The flaw exists on multiple platforms: builds for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android, iOS and Windows Phone are vulnerable."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Last paragraph

hmmm, I (nervously) call shenanigans.

This problem suddenly appears on all platforms, including those a couple of releases behind.

and we must UPGRADE NOW OR SPAM MUMMY WITH SAUCY IMs. Not having it, something smells funny and for once it's not my feet..

1. david 63

Re: Last paragraph

All platforms will use the same server which also probably was changed too.

But who am I to get in the way of a good conspiracy theory...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what happened?

I'm glad I declined to take the "upgrade" when MS bought skype. I suspected it would, in truth, only really be an upgrade to the T&Cs.

Can anyone volunteer any insight into what their first patch gave users?

1. Wyccant

Re: what happened?

clearly it was a bumper packed release that changed the shape of VOIP forever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like