back to article Home Office moots 'Precrime' agency for future serial killers

Home Office proposals on "multi-agency information sharing", leaked to the Times this week, say that council, NHS and care staff should be given a statutory obligation to pass on information about anyone they think might commit violent crimes in the future. According to the Times, the report proposes that a preliminary risk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Karl Lattimer

His children heard him

Muttering down with big brother in his sleep, and turned him in to the thought police...

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

2. A J Stiles

Subverting Policing

Classic 19th Century model:

Detective begins with a crime scene and looks for clues pointing to suspects who may have committed the crime.

New 21st Century model:

Detective begins with a person and looks for clues pointing to crimes which the suspect may go on to commit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting article...

...but what was with all the italics? I was trying to find a hidden message by the end of the article.

4. Tom

"Minority Report"

I haven't seen the movie, but I understand there was a problem with something like this. The solution wasn't good. Never is.

Fortunately (maybe this is good) it will never (out on a limb here) be done in the USA. Maybe we have done something right (strange, isn't it).

5. Alexander Hanff

re: "Minority Report"

You are assuming that such a system doesn't already exist in the US. Lets see, you have Echelon for a start, then the FBI, CIA, NSA, DHS, then of course there is all the fuss over illegal wire taps reported for the last year in the international press; to name just a few of the surveilance agencies and systems in place in the US.

Are you saying you honestly believe that there is no national system currently being used? I would be very very very suprised if there wasn't. Just because you don't know about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

6. Gilbert Wham

just because you're paraboid, it doesnt mean...,.etc

I don't know about the US, but I'll be willing to wager that any such system implemented in the UK will promptly cease to function the moment it is taken out of its sandbox and tested with real data.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like