back to article Sky launches movie, sports on demand service

Sky will begin offering pay-to-view films over the internet to non-subscribers tomorrow. The satellite broadcaster is calling the service Now TV, and it will offer 1000-odd films to rent, including back catalogue content and new releases. 'New' in this context means 'now out on DVD', rather than 'out at the pictures' or even ' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. eSeM

"selected" Android phones

Selection is a joke with no ICS support yet. .... Sky's support for Android has been farcical.

1. thesykes

Re: "selected" Android phones

Too true. Sky say it's down to technical issues. Rubbish.

Over on XDA they modified a version, so it worked on numerous handsets from different manufacturers, and on ICS.

Sky "upgraded" the service, so it no longer works.

B******s.

1. thesykes

Re: "selected" Android phones

Sky Go, that is.

2. Ol'Peculier
    Unhappy

Here we go...

Pay per view F1.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here we go...

pay per view F1 might actually be more acceptable than the current "free SkyF1 .... if you buy all our other sports channels"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Although a quick web-search will reveal several overseas TV providers who stream it for free (Sky's feed, including the commentary). OK you don't get the fancy red button stuff that way, but you can easily just watch the race.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

F1 is currently available for no further cost if you subscribe to HD at £10 per month: you do not need the 'sports' package. I do pay the £10, because I like HD. I've never subscribed to 'Sports'.

Having said that, I've just dropped Sky Movies. Bored with the dire dross Hollywood churns out these days, and even the Classic and Indie channels have become very repetitive. Classic in particular must be extremely cheap to run since all it appears to offer recently is old Westerns and multiple repeats of 'The Longest Day'...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Happy

Best thing about SKY's F1 coverage is that there seems to be some sort of celebrity challenge going on.

Which celeb can buttonhole Martin Brundle on his grid walk and keep him talking for longest........

3. Simon Buttress

Sky Sports Pass?

To be fair if I can pay a smaller (& REASONABLE) amount for Sky Sports only rather than ponying up for the sports and the 90% of keech I don't ever watch then I'll probably do it.

4. Joseph Lord

According to the Telegraph it isn't HD

Although the best SD is better than the worst HD so it could be worth a look at some point.

If it comes to a TV device I own (PS3 or Sony TV) I might give it a try. I'd probably prefer to be patient and use HD Netflix when things eventually get released than to give Murdoch the money. If I'm desperate for a new movie release the Sony store offers quite a few in HD although they are pricy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this extra revenue going to make my bill less?

erm probably not - tossers

6. Citizen Kaned

only interested in footy

but no HD? hmmmm.

£30 a month to watch a couple of footy games is a bit of a ripoff

7. zaax
    WTF?

Sky is getting behind with their technolgy as proven with this - No BBCiplayer, 4oD or Demand5 and Netflicks is a lot cheaper for films.

8. Fuzz

confusing

I'm confused by this article, it seems to suggest that the movies will be available at the same time as they are released on DVD (fair enough) and it also seems to suggest that a subscription to the service will get you the movies faster ?? Since the DVD release for a movie is now generally 6-12 weeks after the cinema release I can't see how Sky are going to get them any faster than this.

Anyway, wake me up when the service is HD (1080p) with 5.1 sound in a format understood by surround decoders. And when the service can offer me better highlights than the 3 on the nowtv splash page (green lantern, x-men first class and bridesmaids)

9. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

No HD

No sale.

10. David Ward 1

What tech will this be using on PC? Please don't let the answer be silverlight...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As part of the trial group I can confirm that the answer is....

Silverlight. Sorry.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As part of the trial group I can confirm that the answer is....

Well that is another reason for not bothering (apart from the odious Murdoch), unless it just works on my Linux box then I'm not interested. iPlayer works fine with flash after all.

Oh, you mean its so precious they need even more DRM? Torrents then...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It has to be Silverlight

As many of these VOD offerings have PlayReady DRM (a Microsoft technology) in them, and while they do support linux for STBs and Android, they are not likely to do so for linux desktop OS's.

Something's however do work with Moonlight, but I doubt the full SRM decoding would.

11. mark l 2 Silver badge

I'm sure microsoft must be paying these TV streaming companies to use silverlight as i've not come across any other use for it other than those sites.

What will it require to stream to Android? Hopefully not Flash as thats something else i don't want to install on my phone

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

At £15 a month I think I will stick to my lovefilm and netflix subs thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.