back to article Carriers resisting FCC slug on international cables

Back in April, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proposed revising how contributions are made to America’s Universal Service Fund (USF), suggesting drawing international cable operators into the fund’s ambit. The operators are now pushing back with a filing arguing that submarine cable operators should retain their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Combat Wombat
    Boffin

Yup.. screw the US

Why should the rest of us be made to pay to subsidize your crap system?

US internet is America's problem.

So, maybe fix your laws, and make your multi billion dollar cable providers actually pony up more for infrastructure.

Or follow Australia's lead, and re-cable the country with fiber, independent of the existing system

1. James O'Brien
      Thumb Up

Re: Yup.. screw the US

Being a 'merkin this pisses me off as well. Yet another reason for the international community to hate us. As if we werent doing enough already to do this, we have to go and add another.

This is another instance where the well off (cable, cell and other providers) are able to sit back and say "Poor us, how will the CEo feed his children that <INSERT MEAL HERE> and keep his 4-5 homes with a Bugatti at each paid up?"

I dont give a shit anymore. The government we have over here is so damn corrupt and inept at what they do that they should all be given a box and a boot out the door. Big business needs these tax breaks or else they cant afford anything. Afford what? To pay a decent wage, stop sending jobs overseas (not that I dont think they dont need the jobs as well) and to give us a quality product as opposed to some of the shit that comes out of the factories over here. If this was done it would be a huge boon for the government in new income.

Im going to bring back an old plea of mine for you brits who read this. Disgruntled American looking for sponsorship away from the USA. That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yup.. screw the US

Quote: "The government we have over here is so damn corrupt and inept"

Actually, I would beg to differ - you obviously have not been so much around the Wild East to see a proper inept and _CORRUPT_ government.

Problem is elsewhere - in both US and UK the legal system and system provides one too many opportunities to throw a spanner in the works. The courtroom has replaced the boardroom in being the place where the "poor" CEO you have mentioned guarantees his loaf of bread (and the caviar on top of it).

So even if there was a band of non-corrupt and non-inept politicians there (wow, what an oxymoron) they will fail to make a difference if put in charge as they will be bogged down in legal sticky red tape.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: sponsorship away from the USA

Sympathies, but don't come over here to the UK, our government(s) over the last few decades have been unmitigated corrupt and incompetent shit. Try and find somewhere civilised to go to, if such a place exists in this day and age.

2. -tim
    Pint

South of the border?

If this goes through, it would be a great way to increase the international bandwidth at the new cable landing points in Tijuana.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: South of the border?

That's all very well.

Then the US will pass a law extending their tax grab to every undersea cable in the world. Oh sorry, they already have a law that gives them jurisdiction over every country in the world.

Mr Brunel (who's ship the Great Eastern laid the first transatlantic cable) will be turning in his grave.

It is about time that the US was cut off from the internet.

3. Magani
    Thumb Down

That's funny. What part of Free Trade Agreements with other countries does the US not understand?

Oh, that's right - 'You play ball with us, and we'll shove the bat right up your fundament'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US is damaged.

Time for the internet to route around it.

5. Peter 39

15.7 %

Seriously ?? 15.7 per cent of revenue ?? For USF ??

Doesn't sound accurate to me.

6. TomS_
    FAIL

To even suggest this ...

... makes my blood boil.

Mad with power? Getting to big for their boots? They seem to know no bounds for imposing their flavour of law and rule on the rest of the world (and its not even one of the good flavours.) They are certainly the land of the brave for trying this on...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like