back to article DarkComet creator kills Trojan tool after Syrian police abuse

The developer of DarkComet has quit further development of the controversial remote-access Trojan after it emerged that the technology was being used against Syrian dissidents. Jean-Pierre Lesuer (DarkcoderSc) announced the decision to stop further development of DarkComet and cease downloads on Twitter, then provided a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Paul
    Windows

Syria is responsible for use of the tool, just like any tool it can be used for good or bad

Lesuer has had somewhat of a conflict of conscience here but the fact remains that the one who uses the tool is always responsible for it's use; NOT it's creator. I can make a knife without concerns but the one who uses the knife is responsible for using it legally.

1. Ian K

Re: Syria is responsible for use of the tool, just like any tool it can be used for good or bad

Only to a degree; if you make lots of knives and casually leave some lying about wherever you go (in the street, outside schools, in pubs, etc...) it's hard to deny any sort of responsibility if someone picks one up and uses it to harm others.

2. David Lawrence
    WTF?

good riddance

Sorry I see no valid, legitimate use of such a tool. If a parent wants to RESTRICT a child's computer usage, they use an overt tool that makes it clear to the child that they cannot access certain sites etc. They DO NOT install a snooping tool and then let their child think they have unrestricted access, so they can be spied on. That's sick and sneaky.

Don't give me analogies relating to knives because knives have other purposes. What it the honest, legitimate use of this snooping tool, exactly?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like