back to article Schools IT biz RM back in black after caning from UK gov

RM is back in the black following the recent cost-cutting activity that saw it offload multiple business units and axe 17 per cent of its workforce. The education IT supplier made profit before tax of £600,000 in the six months to 31 March compared to a loss of £1.4m in the same first half year period a year earlier. Turnover …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So when are RM releasing their iPad clone that costs twice as much and looks like crap?

1. Noodlebar

They tried it a while back - it was unsurprisingly a failure.

AFAIK the plan was to become the biggest Apple reseller in education. Quite amusing considering the lack of expertise and number of orders they messed up on Apple kit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bagged contracts

They did an educational establishment near me, and from the experience of one of the guys who works in that academy they did a poor job. In one part they had to refund enough to buy 50 iPads. And the ongoing support is sloppy too. AC for a reason (but it's not me who has to deal with them daily)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they've outsourced much to india

so expect ever higher quality output than before*! (citation: RBS, July12)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Variable Quality at best

Some very good installations, some horror stories (in the same borough!). Weirdly, the good quality people seemed to mainly be seconded from the development arm of the business for the summer, then returned to base to find they'd been outsourced to India. Hate to think who's still left there now, but they'll never be as bad as Crapita (though that is setting the bar so low special mining equipment is requred...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So glad to be clear of RM.

Feel very sorry for friends still working there.

Piss Up & Brewery come to mind.

6. Grant 5
    Unhappy

Love the way you all had to post as AC as you know RM are so vindictive they'll probably hunt you down or make your friends that still work there pay. It sounds silly but I've heard some stories about that company that defy belief (could just be stories of course, but I've met a few staff)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If company's attitude is anything like the overpriced kit they sell to schools then they must be real nasty.

7. Noodlebar
    Pirate

Rear and the pointy joint

Interestingly the AC style is perfectly normal at RM. Senior managers are mostly a bunch of slopy shouldered blame merchants, and they surround theirselves with sychophants or people they want to molest.

To be fair the majority of staff are pretty good and take pride in their work, only to be tripped up continually by the afore-mentioneds.

The installations for this year could be interesting - the developers used last year (very successfully) have either all be "cut" or left afterwards. But to combat this RM have hired some "cut" people back on contracts.

There were apparently loads of people working for months after the "cuts" as the jobs they were doing were still under contract or couldn't be done by anyone else.

As for being vindictive; it goes on internally as much as externally. Some of the "sharp*" practises that go on are unbelievable.

*For Sharp read very, very dodgy, in fact so dodgy you could put them in a dodgy place and call them MacDodgy and they still wouldn't be dodgier than RM.

8. dreamingspire
    Unhappy

dreamingspire

Fond memories by proxy of the old RM, as teachers I know loved their products. As for me, I'm typing this with an old RM kbd, streets ahead of the things that come with today's PCs. And I used to make heavy duty kbds in the 1980s...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like