back to article Wish you were here? NASA rover beams postcard from Mars

Mars rover Opportunity has sent back this panoramic holiday snap of the Martian winter. Panoramic pic of Greeley Haven Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/Arizona State University The robot wintered on an outcrop on the Endeavour crater, and this photo shows its own tracks across the ruddy terrain as well as its solar arrays …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mako

"Alright - who let Clarkson drive the rover?"

Looking at those tracks, I'd say someone's been getting Opportunity to do doughnuts.

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: "Alright - who let Clarkson drive the rover?"

Looking at those tracks, I'd say someone's been getting Opportunity to do doughnuts.

...really, really, really slow doughnuts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do my eyes deceive me, or...

Do my eyes deceive me, or do I see in the distance, just barely visible over the horizon, those good old Golden Arches?

Pretty sure I do.

1. jai

Re: Do my eyes deceive me, or...

yes, just behind OJ waving from behind a dune

1. John Sager

I think you'll find, if you look more carefully, that it's Elvis with a suntan.

2. Graham Marsden
        Coat

I thought that was Elvis...

3. JohnMurray

Or maybe go here, since the url wouldn't load:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/665600main_pia15689-full2_full.jpg

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

plucky little fella

Cheers, Opportunity. Well done. Still.

somehow, "exceeds expectations" is woefully inadequate...

5. Stoneshop
    Go

3000 days

What do we send it as a celebration gift?

(I know Spirit would like a tow truck send over, TYVM)

1. Andy J Poulton
      Alien

Re: 3000 days

And now we know the REAL purpose of the next mission to Mars.

Curiosity is due to touch down in less than 30 days and I've just had a look at some hi-res images from a secret source. I thought it had been sponsored by the AAA - [American Automobile Association] but now I know differently, it's an AAA tow truck complete with a set of traffic lights to set up so that it can tempt homeless Martians out from their caves to clean off the solar panels.

2. Mike Flugennock

Re: 3000 days

(I know Spirit would like a tow truck send over, TYVM)

A tow and a jump start.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed Opportunity

to drive about drawing some giant cocks on the Martian surface with which to puzzle future alien explorers

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: Missed Opportunity

to drive about drawing some giant cocks on the Martian surface with which to puzzle future alien explorers...

Hell, I wouldn't be half surprised if the JPL guys actually mentioned that -- even if only joking -- at a late-night meeting.

7. RIBrsiq
    Boffin

"NASA's machines have been on the planet since Pathfinder landed on 4 July, 1997".

Actually, Viking 1 has been on Mars since August 20th, 1975CE. Unless it got bored and wandered off to some other place, of course!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. NomNomNom

worst series of robot wars yet

Have the rovers even found each other yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So it's not Elvis in the background, it's Craig Charles?

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

Oh for some windex and a rag to wipe those panels

Do they have homeless guys at intersections on Mars?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Arachnoid
    Thumb Up

Actually the swirling winds on Mars have been suprisingly adequate and clearing most of the dust from the cells.Now if they could onlt get Earth bound tech to last as long!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can with a grant of a few 100 billion and almost all of NASA working on it. What tech would we want from them first? Flying cars or jetpacks?

13. Allison Park
    Alien

is it a power processer in that thing

I heard once it was an IBM power chip. Any truth to that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: is it a power processer in that thing

It's a RAD6000. It's a radiation hardened, single-chip version of the venerable POWER1, so yeah, it kind of does have a POWER chip on board. A whopping 1.1M transistors, a 33MHz clock speed and 35MIPS. At the best part of a quarter of a million dollars per chip it isn't exactly cheap, either.

1. Mako

Re: is it a power processer in that thing

An awesome testament to the KISS principle, it seems.

Well, that and serious ruggedisation.

14. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Whew, awesome foto

Finally, a new "postcard"! It's been way too long since the MERs transmitted a panorama like this.

15. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

"Tootle"?

Y'know, I can imagine the MERs getting around Mars in any number of ways -- trundling, rambling, forging, truckin' on -- but never "tootling".

I know the astronauts driving the LRV on the Moon sure as hell weren't "tootling", either.

16. Earl Jones Of Potatoes
    Big Brother

most successful

by far, this is the second most successful space mission after voyager.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Gerry Anderson and his team have surpassed themselves with this. Best Captain Scarlett set ever

18. Andy Farley

Always makes me think of

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/spirit.png

Awww.

19. Great Bu

Obvious giant martian laser cannon draws no comment ?

I am very suprised that the giant laser cannon clearly pictured on the right of the image at the edge of the large paved area has not raised more comment.....

You can even see some manner of small spacraft taking off from near it's base and heading across the picture.

20. xyz Silver badge
    Devil

And they've finally given us "real" colours...

....and not the (Nasa's) red sky, red ground guff that they've been trying to palm us off with for years.

I'll bet in a few months, the sky will be even bluer, like it was in the original colour pictures taken of the planet before someone decided that Mars must be red, for Earthlings at least.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like