back to article BT to patrol MoD's cyber borders for another 7 years

The UK's Ministry of Defence will rely on BT to defend its electronic borders for another seven years, the company has announced, extending its existing arrangement. BT has been providing cyber security to the MoD for a while, and helped write the UK National Cyber Security Strategy as well as being a member of the UK Cyber …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT !

They can't find their own arse using a torch and both hands.

1. Mr Temporary Handle
      Happy

Re: BT !

It is rather far-fetched, isn't it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BT !

Though they do own Counterpane and employ Bruce Schneier. That would tend to make them amongst the best in the world at this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous Coward: BT ! They can't find their own arse using a torch and both hands.

We can seeeee you!

3. Benny
    WTF?

How the shuddering feck did BT get to 'protect' the MOD from internet nasties?!

4. Crisp

BT vs bored 12 year olds

I can't wait to see how this turns out....

<<Grabs popcorn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BT vs bored 12 year olds

Bruce Schneier vs bored 12 year olds. I'd bet on Bruce.

1. Crisp

Re: BT vs bored 12 year olds

There are more bored 12 year olds than there are Bruce Schneiers. And the 12 year olds only have to get lucky once.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not do it themselves?

Why note just contract in http://www.cesg.gov.uk/servicecatalogue/CA/Pages/CA.aspx to do it? It's kind of their job and they're already a government department...

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Poisoned Chalices ...... Who Needs Them?

"Apparently the MoD blocked more than 1,000 "potentially serious" infiltration attempts in 2010, double the number seen in the previous year, but without knowing what qualifies as "potentially serious" it's hard to judge how impressed we should be."

Yes, well, can you imagine how impressive the tally would be whenever an electronic cigarette is treated as a potentially serious terrorist threat situation. The mind boggles at the farce of it.

Does that then make BT responsible for a successful cyber attack on the MOD and therefore liable for payment of damages/compensation for loss of ...... well, whatever would be degraded and/or taken way foreign?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1000 severe

idiotic users bringing in memory sticks from home or following email links.

The users are the problem, not script kiddies

8. Chad H.
    Joke

Perfect

You cant hack something remotely if its down all the time.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://www.mod.uk/../../

One more for the stats.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: http://www.mod.uk/../../

That domain is separate from the Ministry of Defence's real working networks. Of course.

$ dig www.mod.uk

;; ANSWER SECTION:

www.mod.uk. 5388 IN A 94.236.30.88

whereas the MOD owns an entire IPV4 /8 subnet for operational use, 25.0.0.0/8

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This says it all. It basically proves why they need this track http requests and stuff from people's houses. This very weekend some half a dozen nutcases have been arrested by accident!!!!!

This means they had no f@cking clue they were there. It therefore comes as no surprise why the useless f*** ers have to outsource their firewalling. It's because they can't do it themselves.

I feel so safe. My country is populated by nutters, overseen by people who can't find them because they've not the expertise to crack skype or work out facebook chatter (how hard can it be), and governed by spineless scum..

How difficult can it be to hack Facebook?

Total fuckwits, loons and madmen. What a khazi is England, As a start, we should have a competition. Everyone pairs up with their wife and if she can get a message to her mate without you knowing what it is, she gets a weekend in a spa. If she can't, you get laid on demand for a week. I'll bet virtually everyone here will be empty after the bet. Then they should employ everyone who gets laid. Try it yourself, send a message, like an anagram with the embedded letters in a paragraph, then see how easy it is to spot. How much more complicated can some thick chod who lives in a cave be?

Anonymous because I don't want phone calls from my mother saying she woke and found special branch in her kitchen "searching for drugs"

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Live Operational Virtual Environments for Present System Conversion to Assured Future Programming

Thanks, AC. I thoroughly enjoyed that dose of clarity.

However, don't misunderestimate what friendly spooky services in new palatial venues are doing for they don't overestimate the impossible being done and what can be done in it with IT ........ Spooky Territorial Offices

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: LOVE for Present System Conversion to Assured Future Programming

I apologise for what it sounded like I said - benefits of a state education. Hopefully you can understand my position.

(Although after writing it, I spent some time thinking about it, I suspect I would end up celibate if I had to crack my wife's communications with her friends. I can't understand what they're talking about if I'm sitting at the table with them.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like