back to article LG 55LM960V 55in Smart TV

The 55-inch LM960V is nothing if not formidable. LG has packed its new flagship LED with every digital doodah it can muster, and at £2,700, has priced it uncharacteristically high. This, the brand is clearly saying, is a telly to challenge the best there is – it’s worth paying through the nose for. In some ways, it’s right. LG …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Input lag

No mention of input lag - important factor if being used for gaming.

1. David Gosnell

Re: Input lag

Not sure why the downvote. I'd imagine probably 75% of our readers have a console hooked up to their biggest-screen telly via HDMI, components and/or SCART, yet this is an important consideration never making it into reviews, marketing literature or specification sheets.

2. MJI Silver badge

Goldstar used to be cheap

I remember when Lucky Goldstar made cheap but OK quality stuff, definately moved within the market.

1. Danny 14

Re: Goldstar used to be cheap

They have been producing top drawer stuff for a while now. We still have a 9 year old LG direct drive washing machine that has had 3 kids worth of baby & school 3 times a day use out of it with one single failure - the drum sensor £15 clip out and clip in.

3. mmoneta
    Linux

Meh

When 'every digital doodah' can be had with a Raspberry Pi or thumbdrive-sized Android device or even an old laptop, paying a premium for a vendor to put it in the box seems excessive. Just provide a cheap large screen and let the market provide the smarts that meet the user's requirements.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For £2600 I wouldn't be expecting any picture flaws.

Flat screen development is still on going and we're not there yet. So why anyone would spend such money on a TV that will seem rubbish in 5 years I dunno.

5. JDX Gold badge

Question

To an average consumer who watches normal TV (HD+SD) and streaming services like Netflix rather than lots of blu-ray movies, would there be an obvious difference between watching a £500, a £1000 and a £2000 TV? Are we talking very subtle videophile-level differences, or something you'd walk into the room and go "wow that's amazing"?

1. Bassey

Re: Question

You would definitely notice the £500-£1000 gap. You would see the difference from £1000-2000 if they were sat side by side but, once you had got used to either one I'm not sure most people would be able to say they were properly missing out. Of course, not all of the extra money has gone on the quality of the panel or picture processing tech. IF I was to spend £2K on a telly I would want it to look pretty damned fantastic (as I think this LG does). If I spent £500 on a telly I wouldn't be so bothered. I would be more interested in the picture quality/sound and does it have the features I need. "Does it look nice?" would come a long way down the list.

1. MJI Silver badge

TV head to head

Saw this with 4 Sony TVs a little while I before I bought our most recent one.

All 46"

KDL46D/S/W/X4000 AFAIR

The two cheaper ones looked a lot worse than the two more expensive ones.

One was cheap

One was cheap panel and better electronics

Next was better panel

Next was nicer styling wih same panel

TV for chavs

TV for chavs with more money

TV for AV enthusiasts/gamers

TV for the style consious

I THINK the prices were from high hundreds to about 1.5k

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Formatting

My formatting is ruined

My post is difficult to read, returns treated the same as blank lines - please fix it.

Basically I had seen huge differences in picture quality within ONE make.

2. TheRealRoland

i haven't tried a TV at this price level - but I do know that of the two Sonys i currently own - the older one (about 5 yrs, a 32in) has a better SD picture quality compared to the same channel displayed on a newer Sony (42in).

Colours were off, white balance not right. Only when on the HD channels did the newer TV shine.

So then it's a choice - do i calibrate the TV for SD or HD watching?

Not sure how these expensive TVs would handle that. Maybe this is a ploy to get us lowly consumers to convert to HD-only as soon as possible ;-)

off-topic:

Ran into another limitation - the quality of the HD feed. Was watching a live performance of i think Pink Floyd, on a local PBS channel. Sound quality was nice, but all of the sudden the lasers start firing.

I switched back to the SD channel to watch the rest of the show -- the pixellation / too much compression was tough to watch on the HD channel :-(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for the Apple iTV

Until then my B&O TVs will just have to do.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actress - Bishop - HUGE!

8. Scarborough Dave

£500

That's the top end of my budget, with umpteen kids it's not worth buying decent kit.

What I would love to see on el' reg occasionally is what is the best TV or Projector etc.. I can get for around £500.

I know this goes against the purpose of the hardware section, but would be great to see this occasionally. :)

By the way nice review.

1. TheRealRoland

Re: £500

I did get the kids an epson projector. (Moviemate 60, if I recall correctly) for the basement (plus a white bed sheet), and hooked a tivo up to it as well. No more xbox and tosh 2.0 in the living room :-)

No HD, mind yoy.

The epson is a simple dvd/surround sound projector, was about $500. Produces enough noise to get around the sound of the furnace downstairs. Should also work outside, summer eves etc.

In the three years only had to replace the lamp once, am keeping a spare handy.

9. jason 7
    Meh

Just one question.....

...just how good does 1080p look at 50"+?

Thats getting pretty low on the old DPI. I can imagine 1080p looking okay up to 42" 5 years ago but surely its looking a little crappy on the larger screens?

Wouldn't 1440p have been a better top end standard?

1. Robredz

Re: Just one question.....

How good at 55"? on a cheapo generic absolutely dire. mate bought a 55" Baird ( UMC or possibly Vestel )from a graded reseller, Picture was dim, and blocky. SD was virtually unwatchabl;e due to pixel pitch and jaggies. HD not much better. As to gaming? PS3 looked worse than Rise Of The Triad through Dosbox set full screen at 320 X 240 on my PC.1920 x 1080 monitor.

2. MJI Silver badge

HD looks fine on my 10920x1080p 46" TV

1. Robredz

It generally does, it's starts getting iffy on cheapo sets, over 50"

10. Greg 16

Daul screen sounds pretty cool for gaming, but how do you get your console to output to it? Does it just capture the split screen, and then split them and zoom to full screen?

11. I think so I am?
    Happy

Just Why?

Casio xj a245 (£1k), HTPC with HD tuner (£400), 106" electric screen (£118)

- £1500ish for 106" HD picture

- £1k for surround sound

- few £ left for beer and snacks

What would you want?

12. johnwr

My next telly?

That telly seems pretty impressive. My wife and I being movie freaks I'm thinking of upgrading my old samsung lcd and definitely get a 3d tv. I read a lot of articles and reviews and everyone seem laudatory about this one so even though it's a little more budget than I originally planned I think it will be worth the price tag.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love how wifi is built into it. This feat made it so comfortable without finding long cable line. Home dashboard is off the line. Everything is simple to control with the magic motion remote. Smart share made it easy to share my files on smart phone. Current Greatest tv.

14. coopster
    Thumb Up

This tv has to win the best of 2012, the picture quality is perfect. The passive 3d is as good as active with no flicker and vertical angle. Hopefully my vote makes a big difference.

15. Magical remote

The magic remote is just like the PC mouse. I always had hard time getting used to a new TV's remote but this one was pretty easy I think LG definitely anticipated that when they came up with this. Well worth for the money. I love it….

16. Magical remote
    Thumb Up

For London Olympics

I'm considering this TV for the 2012 London Olympics. I couldn't find anything that has this kind of picture quality and 3D depth control. A masterpiece combination of technology and design with smart apps.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like