back to article Google Chrome serves up only emptiness, for many users

The latest version of Google’s Chrome web browser is firing duds by serving up blank search results pages. Frustrated users on the Google Chrome forum and on Twitter have lined up to complain that half of their queries using Chrome are landing them with empty pages. The problem mostly seems to affect Windows 7 users, but Mac …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. .thalamus
    Stop

Yeah, it's not an issue with Chrome, it's an issue with Google.

It has only just started happening today and affects stable, beta and dev channels, of which none have been updated today, so the problem must lie server side.

Also, using terminology 'latest' version is confusing, because there are 3 latest versions, stable, beta and dev channels.

Best to put the version number, unlike most of the muppets in that linked Google thread.

1. Gerhard Mack

something has been going wrong with google lately

I can't add to my serch block list either so I'm thinking someone really bungled a site upgrade.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: something has been going wrong with google lately

Pft, don't worry, my search blocklist has been ignored for months, no matter who I put on it.

2. Ragarath
      FAIL

"Also, using terminology 'latest' version is confusing"

How is this confusing? A beta version and dev version are not the latest version. The un/stable release version is the latest version.

Google may have watered down the term beta, but beta is still beta aka an unfished product. You are using it at your own risk and by actually downloading it.

As for the Dev build that is beta or worse. So please don't try to claim that plain English is wrong.

2. JDX Gold badge

310 million users

Is that all? How many people use the internet - a couple of billion?

3. Martin 47

No worries, DuckDuckGo is working fine.

Where is the smug git icon?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

windows users, mac fanboys, hmm

1. toadwarrior

It's not that hard to figure out. Microsoft advertises a lot on this site and also get the best editorial treatment between them, google and apple. Apple pretends the reg doesn't exist and obviously they have to rely on mentioing apple to get hits so they're snotty about it.

Google would probably get better treatment too if only they'd buy more ads.

5. Lamont Cranston
    Happy

This wouldn't happen

if people were using Opera. Marvellous browser, although it does cause one to become a pompous arse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This wouldn't happen

True, Opera is underrated... or unknown of by the masses. I would say Firefox and Opera are first flight, then Chrome, then Safari, then the ping command, then IE.

1. Cameron Colley

Re: Re: This wouldn't happen

I prefer netcat to ping for viewing web pages, it formats the content better ;)

2. Powerlord

Has Opera finally gotten off of its "lets make the Browser uglier" kick they've been on since 9.5's release?

No? Thanks, but no thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Apart from he fact it's shit through proxies. Wild card exemptions for bypassing proxies? We've heard of it, and we've seen it working in every other browser, but we can't be arsed to sort it.

Otherwise I'd use it a lot more.

6. David 66

Gutted that new Chrome on my transformer prime android doesn't work properly. Keep having to bin it and open original browser

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chrome is a pretty poor effort at a browser from Google, but it is still way better than IE.

8. John A Blackley

On the page

with the article about Chrome puking, what do we see?

An advertisement urging us to "Download Google Chrome!"

Nice.

9. zemerick

Better fix...

As per the thread linked in the article, a much better fix is to clear your cache and cookies from a week or more back. I suppose this is why I haven't had the problem, as I recently cleared mine a few days ago.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most Popular Browsers Ranking?

IE and/or Chrome? Are those numbers for desktop systems online or do they include mobile devices?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like