back to article ICANN’s archery contest misses its target

Confusion continues to surround ICANN’s gTLD program, with the organization canceling the “digital archery” program it had planned to determine the winners of contested generic TLDs. Digital Archery” is now not even lurching towards reality: ICANN hasn’t worked out a replacement process for the land-grab domain releases. In “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph
    Joke

Digital Archery

So they tried to rob from the rich, and ended up not so much Robin Hood, more Dennis Moore.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1) Borrow one of those rotating-jumbly-ball-machines from your local village fete

2) Write each bidder on a pingpong ball and put into machine

3) Turn handle of machine

4) Pull out a ball, show it to everyone witnessing the draw

Why the fuck are they making it so complicated?

1. frank ly

re. making it complicated

Maybe there has to be an 'element of skill', otherwise it's an illegal lottery? (Just trying to think like a lawyer here - makes me feel dirty).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: re. making it complicated

If it needs some sklill then just add a question

TLD in the application stands for

A: Tropical Lemon Drink

B: Top Level Domain

C: Total Logistical Disaster

(hmm, suppose there could be 2 correct answers there!)

.... or alternatively add "you can also enter for free at itv.com"

3. Mike 29
    Paris Hilton

Why are they doing it at all?

We should refuse to support this trash, since it will actually break a lot of legacy systems that check for a valid TLD and will refuse all these.

1. Ole Juul

No Problem

. . . it will actually break a lot of legacy systems that check for a valid TLD and will refuse all these.

I don't think those legacy systems will be broken. They'll continue to work just fine and filter out useless domains.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

No, the new TLDs will be valid and things should still work.

Unelss of course some pillock has decided that a DNS lookup to check an address' validity is too much like hard work, elected instead to hard-code a list of "valid TLDs" and elected to do so in code rather than referring to an easily maintainable list of such somewhere.

That would fall under the umbrella of; "You broke it, so you can bloody well fix it.".

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Facepalm

AHA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Tee Hee Hee Hee.

Etc.

Good Grief! The levels of incompetence are staggering. You'd have thought that the half a billion odd dollars they've made would be enough to make a working system. Oh well, I'm sure something else will go wrong if we wait long enough (like another week...).

[Insert standard joke about ICANN buying .fail or .fiasco here]

5. Steve Knox
    Facepalm

Here's a though...

How about they actually evaluate the proposals, and award them on the merits, rather than randomly handing out domains?

Nah, you're right. It'd never fly.

1. QrazyQat

Re: Here's a though...

That's like, you know, work.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

History

The people involved in approving this have history in doing this kind of thing.

If you believe Peter Dengate-Thrush spoke to the Singaporean company after jumping ship, I have several bridges I'd like to sell you. He got caught flat out lieing about a number of things when he was the chair of the Internet Society of NZ (which resulted in him being removed) and I find it hard to believe he'd leave ICANN without making sure he had quite secure strings in place to continue manipulating it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pass the parcel

ICANN are dead scared of being sued if they prioritise applications.

All they need to do is pass them as a stack to GAC and hint that they have no standing to advise the GAC on what order they pass them back to ICANN.

This allows the untouchable GAC to decide the order that applications go through the system.

Simples!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Pass the parcel

A better answer would be CEO arm-wrestling.

Plus, as we know they're so desperately eager for cash, they could sell the TV rights of Google vs. Microsoft for a few million more.

Maybe go up to cage fighting to decide between competing bids for the same domain?

1. frank ly

Re: Pass the parcel

That's right not-Spartacus, it's the modern way :)

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

@CEO arm wrestling

As much as like the idea of CEO arm wresting, the internet is clear on this: it's settled by rock-paper-scissors.

8. Blofeld's Cat
    FAIL

Do I hear $12,000,001 anywhere?

Put the contested domains up on Ebay, with a ridiculously high reserve, and watch as the big players try to outbid each other in the last few picoseconds.

Pass the .popcorn

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Do I hear $12,000,001 anywhere?

Ooooooooooo, using High-Frequency Trading systems for bid-sniping on eBay?

I like it!

9. Shonko Kid
    FAIL

Rock, Paper, Scissors?

To give their arbitration process a more professional quality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like