back to article Millionaire Ubuntu space nerd Shuttleworth live on The Reg

Just as the internet was becoming reality for most of us, Mark Shuttleworth sold his first technology venture - the second largest provider of digital certification, Thawte - to VeriSign for $575m. It was 1999 and he was 26 years old. Next, Shuttleworth paid the Russians $20m to become the first African in space - he flew …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

Suggestions

I really like *buntu. Shame my 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS upgrade has failed totally. And the bug report was closed with the suggestion I do a clean install.

That gives me the incentive to try something else. Suggestions?

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Suggestions

If you liked 10.04 then CentOS 6.2 (upgrading to 6.3 when it gets finished) has support for a longish time and similar application versions.

Personally I do the clean install thing anyway, probably a hangover from when I used Mac OS a lot.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Linux

Mint (Debian) and SolusOS both offer a rolling upgrade model. Fuduntu is nice on laptops and is also a rolling distro (originally based on Fedora 14 but now definitively forked, retaining GNOME 2 as well).

3. Fatman

"...suggestion I do a clean install."

Is the ONLY way I go!

I have set aside two partitions for the root file systems, and a separate `/home` partition.

It maker things so much simpler.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are plenty of alternatives to Ubuntu.

Many former fanboys (and girls) in my LUG have returned to the Debian fold.

Mint is a good alternative.

IMHO, Canonical has lost the plot. In its attempts to emulate RedHat, they have forgotten their userbase.

Also their upstream contributions policy is rather odd to say the least.

Let the flaming begin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There are plenty of alternatives to Ubuntu.

Thanks. You and your LUG aren't the only ones looking for somewhere to go.

Linux for human beings? Linux for retards more like.

Structured thought, categories, subdivisions... why is all this being treated like the enemy?

Messing with the location of things might suit those with ADHD, but I find it a block to productivity.

3. keithpeter Silver badge
    Linux

Transcript and devices....

Hello All

When the spaceman does live chat sessions on freenode, they post public transcripts. Does this system of yours do that?

If anyone gets through to ask some questions, can we get past the Unity is Crap stuff quickly (note to moderators) because it is boring and there are plenty of places to vent.

Instead can we ask about the tablet, application development software (like it should be easy to develop apps/javascript and CSS style), and where HUD is going regarding the 'discovery' thingy.

The tablet: retro feature that I would like is a vga port, that would save so much money on interactive whiteboards

I'll probably be with students/working on OFSTED documents.

4. BkS
    Linux

SolusOS?

Why not try SolusOS? It's based on Debian, so it won't be too much out of the ordinary.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Debian ... or ubuntu server

I switched to Debian a while back, but have now switched again to Ubuntu Server 12.04

As my Linux install is primarily for server related tasks (LAMP), it made sense - and it was Unity that drove me away from the Desktop distribution.

Ubuntu Server with XFCE4 is perfect.

If I had to ask Mark anything, it would be "Unity - WTF?"

I'm sure he and Canonical have a vision for it - one which doesn't include us geeky Linux users - fair enough, Linux is flexible enough to do *anything* you want it to.

6. NickR

Ubuntu out of beta yet ?

Dear Mr ShuffleCock,

People would take your OS seriously as more than a toy if it did not suffer so many regressions (bugs, performance), changing to new shiney features that are not finished. Its a real shame as some of the concepts you have introduced are compelling, such a Unity, but its like one step forward, one side ways and one back.

1. FatGerman
      Linux

Re: Ubuntu out of beta yet ?

*buntu is a permanent rolling beta. It always will be while they try and enforce a regular 6 month release cycle on software that's written mainly by people in their spare time.

If it's stability you want, use Debian, but then you don't get the benefit of the actual good stuff Canonical has done on installation and you may well end up with a bricked laptop, as I do every time I try Debian.

The year of Linux on the desktop - yes, that's how long it takes to get it to work. And I speak as someone who's been using it regularly for 4 years.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

Re: Ubuntu out of beta yet ?

Very recent hardware (drivers always take time to catch up)?

Unusual laptop?

Debian/CentOS/Ubuntu/Fedora no problems on thinkpad x200s, takes 40 mins to install (naff broadband here). Hibernate to disk not working but that could be me not allowing a large enough swap (its 4Gb ram)

7. Don Mitchell

Alternatives

Windows 7

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternatives

Mac OS X 10.7.4

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Linux

boot to gecko on phones

Hello All

http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/07/02/firefox-mobile-os/

Can someone ask about this in relation to Ubuntu on devices?

Apps written in html/css/javascript and marketed in Brazil and other emerging economies, I imagine an important area for Canonical.

9. Avatar of They
    Unhappy

Shame

I wanted to take part but work won't let me. Something about getting paid to work.

Can somebody ask him who in the world came up with Unity as it sux. Nice pretty ribbon, no substance behind it and I can never find anything I want unless it is saved onto the ribbon (which ended up with over thirty things attached to it)

...but as of last night I no longer count myself as a ubuntu fanboi. Mint and Android now as Unity did it for me, well unity and the fact samba is an added install despite everyone in the world needing it.

Fix the bugs, missing requirements and problems before going for shiny shiny.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like