back to article Speaking in Tech: Who uses Google Wallet?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise This week in El Reg's enterprise and consumer tech-cast, our hosts Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela chat about slabs, VMWare's new desktop virtualisation strategy, Microsoft's Yammer buyout and more. This week they discuss: Uncle Larry buys an island Google's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh gawd ... for the love of all things tech

Please let lotus notes die ... please ... noooooooooo!

2. ben_c
    WTF?

Google walwhat?

Things like this would be useful but just aren't taking off!

3. R 11
    Thumb Down

Presumably they mean the mobile wallet

I used Google's wallet using my home computer for some payments. Then my gmail account was compromised using a known attack. The attacker used filters to redirect messages from wallet and merchants then spent about $100 - probably testing to see if the account was good before spending lots.

Fortunately I caught it almost immediately and reported it to Google. They said they couldn't help and that I would have to contact each merchant individually to have the fraudulent transactions reversed. Unlike, say PayPal or your credit card firm, they wanted no part in solving the problem.

Then they locked my account and demand multiple layers of documentation before I can use the wallet again.

I'm sticking with PayPal now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Presumably they mean the mobile wallet

I'm glad to hear that PayPal help with problems of this sort.

Even so, you shouldn't compare them to a credit card firm. If PayPal decide you're costing them too much in support, they can just close your account and take the money.

Credit card companies and banks are covered by financial legislation that offers more protection (in Europe anyway).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Avoid Wallet

I paid for a Postini subscription using Google Wallet. When it went wrong - a flaw in their website, I am fairly sure - it became painfully clear that there was *absolutely no way* of contacting Google about the problem. I resorted to snail mail ... and that was returned.

I will recommend against any product or service which requires payment via Google Wallet. It simly can't be trusted.

5. Furbian
    Flame

Was using it once in a while for the best part of a decade... but then..

... I failed their security review on renewing my card's expiry date, because it had expired obviously... so no more 'paid for' Google Android apps for me... here are the gory details...

http://furbian.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/my-google-walletplaycheckoutwhatever.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like