back to article Automatic Wi-Fi roam, signup and billing via SIM card to be tested

Thirty-seven communications companies around the world have signed up to trial Hotspot 2 Wi-Fi roaming – and billing – using commercially available routers later this year, it has been announced. Hotspot 2 tech allows a mobile handset (or tablet, or ereader) to automatically detect, connect to and register with a Wi-Fi base …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fihart

The end of free wifi ?

see heading

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The end of free wifi ?

and the start of the "I turned on wifi to connect to the free hotel service but I didn't realize it connected up to the cafe across the road and now I've been billed £10,000 for watching Eastenders on holiday" stories

2. leexgx

Re: The end of free wifi ?

this just seems like UMA (if the router is compatible your phone uses the wifi connection as an access point to Home Cell network in the UK case only network that uses UMA is Orange, Why 3UK Never Implemented UMA who knows as they need it more then any other network), surprises me why all network Operators do not use UMA as it fills in so many dead spots that all networks have all you need is an wifi connection (that's compatible Norm any None N router is fine, as i find it never works on my phone and 3 other Android phones i have played with that are on orange)

but with Hotspot 2 that seems to now auto connects on its own if it finds an compatible hotspot2 wifi AP and starts an UMA connection over it but bit more complicated then UMA , I just hope they make it for Any network

other posters on here this is mostly for users with No signal or to offload Cell load onto an wifi connection

2. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Down

not very keen ...

... on battery live with wifi constantly on.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: not very keen ...

Data via wifi actually works out better for the battery than data via GPRS/3G.

1. Andrew_b65

Re: not very keen ...

I have found that running two radios instead of one generally results in poor battery life on my mobile device. I only ever switch on its WiFi radio if the 3G data signal is too pants to use, or I need to do a large download.

For me,

WiFi ON, battery = 1 day

WiFi OFF, battery = 3 days

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. MrXavia
    Thumb Down

We need more FON hot spots, not commercial hot spots authenticated by SIMs...

Router manufacturers need to start sticking FON on them as standard, then 'sell' the feature to broadband providers! If all routers supported FON, then all broadband subscribers would be able to connect to any FON spot!

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

How do you think that works when combined with 3-strikes laws?

Nobody with a brain is going to open their wireless to the world if it means they get their broadband cut off and fines.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Fonero!

You don't open 'your' wireless to the world. You donate* a portion of 'your' bandwidth to passers by and fence their portion off from 'your' bandwidth.

*in return others donate bandwidth to you, so there's no need to feel hard done by unless you're a troll who never travels with wi-fi gadgets. If they use their portion for illegal purposes, they can be traced.

Paris understands give and take.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Re: Fonero!

Never heard of a FON pass then? Which can be bought (and sometimes given away at trade shows) as any other prepaid card and used on your FON hotspot?

Seems like the perfect way to get online anonymously, conveniently and quite cheaply, to me.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

FON supposedly logs everything. I wouldn't like to chance it with PC Plod though.

5. Seanie Ryan
    WTF?

huh?

did i read/understand this wrong?

"will test remote authentication techniques allowing networks who don't even have networks to offer network connectivity."

So the network who doesnt have a network will offer a network connection? How does that work?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NGH is already taken ;-)

I think as there's an ever increasing number of free wifi hotspots this isn't really needed.

Also, in the DVB community NGH is already well known, but not as Next Gen Hotspots.

http://www.dvb.org/technology/dvb-ngh/

7. ChaosFreak
    Unhappy

This is to make mobile operators happy, not users...

I think everyone's got the wrong basic assumption. If you assume this "feature" is to make users' lives better then of course it's confusing since there are lots of problems as mentioned in these comments.

However, this feature is not for users, it's for mobile operators. They've long wanted to offload their data traffic onto WiFi to conserve spectrum. However, they needed a way to charge for it! If you want to manually look for free hotspots or get a Boingo subscription, etc. then you can do that now. The mobile operators are hoping that if they make it "automated" then they can have the best of both worlds and still keep your money.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like